Close Menu
Chronicle NG
    Trending Stories
    Michael Oyedokun: Terrorists behead abducted Oyo teacher

    Oyo suspends excursions, field trips, as slain teacher laid to rest

    May 22, 2026
    Azpilicueta to retire at end of season

    Chelsea legend Azpilicueta to retire from football at end of season

    May 22, 2026
    Baba Malam Wali wins APC governorship ticket in Yobe

    Baba Malam Wali wins APC governorship ticket in Yobe

    May 22, 2026
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    Trending
    • Oyo suspends excursions, field trips, as slain teacher laid to rest
    • Chelsea legend Azpilicueta to retire from football at end of season
    • Baba Malam Wali wins APC governorship ticket in Yobe
    • Alvaro Arbeloa confirms Real Madrid departure
    • Man United confirm Carrick as permanent head coach until 2028
    • Manchester City confirm Pep Guardiola’s exit
    • Man City confirm Guardiola exit after trophy-filled 10-year reign
    • Irate mob sets Ebola hospital on fire in DR Congo
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    Chronicle NGChronicle NG
    Subscribe
    Friday, May 22
    • News
      • Nigeria News
      • World News
      • Headlines News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Sport
    • Entertainment
    • Contact Us
    Chronicle NG

    Record single-day rise in global coronavirus cases

    Chronicle EditorBy Chronicle EditorJuly 19, 2020No Comments4 Mins Read
    Facebook Twitter Telegram WhatsApp
    Three dead as WHO investigates Hantavirus outbreak on cruise ship
    Dr Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus, DG World Health Organization (WHO)
    Facebook Twitter WhatsApp

    The number of new cases of coronavirus rose by almost 260,000 in 24 hours – the largest single-day increase since the pandemic began, the World Health Organization (WHO) said on Saturday.

    According to the WHO, this is the first time the number of new daily infections has surpassed a quarter of a million.

    The biggest increases were in the US, Brazil, India and South Africa.

    The global death toll from coronavirus also rose by 7,360 – the largest daily increase since 10 May.

    The previous record rise in new confirmed cases was recorded by the WHO just one day earlier.

    The total number of confirmed cases of coronavirus passed 14 million on Saturday, with over 600,000 recorded deaths, according to the tally kept by US-based Johns Hopkins University.

    What is happening in the US?

    Cases are surging in several US states, particularly in southern states that were initially reluctant to enforce lockdowns or mandate the wearing of masks. Florida, Texas and Arizona have seen particularly high surges.

    Florida is currently the epicentre of the US epidemic. The state recorded more than 10,000 new infections and 90 more deaths on Saturday, bringing its total number of cases to more than 337,000 and its death toll to more than 5,000.

    In recent weeks, hospitals across the state had also warned that their ICUs were at capacity and that they were unable to accept any new patients.

    Measures to stem the spread of the virus, including wearing masks, have become highly politicised in the US.

    Map of rising cases in the US
    Chart showing rise in cases by continent
    Transparent line

    The US’s top infectious disease expert Dr Anthony Fauci urged state and local leaders on Friday to be “forceful” in making sure people wore masks, although President Donald Trump later said he would not mandate mask-wearing on a national level.

    Which other countries are seeing surges?

    In Brazil, where the coronavirus and measures to contain it have been highly politicised, cases continue to surge – although the WHO announced earlier this week that cases were no longer increasing exponentially.

    • Nigeria announces 653 new coronavirus cases

    Scientists have also warned that India could still be months away from the peak of its outbreak – despite the country already having the third-highest number of confirmed cases. Hospitals in the worst-hit cities, including Mumbai and Bangalore, have been overwhelmed with patients.

    India recorded another 34,884 infections in a 24-hour period on Saturday, and another 671 deaths linked to coronavirus.

    And South Africa, which saw one of the largest single-day rises in cases, has the highest number of confirmed infections on the African continent.

    What’s happening in Europe?

    Western European countries, which have managed to largely contain the spread of the virus, are now beginning to reopen their borders and businesses.

    However, there are localised surges across Spain – the worst being in the country’s north-eastern Catalonia region.

    The region has again recorded a daily increase in confirmed cases of more than 1,000, and about four million people in ​​Barcelona, ​​La Noguera and El Segrià have been ordered to stay at home for 15 days.

    Among the measures imposed are a ban on public or private meetings of more than 10 people, a ban on visits to nursing homes, and the closure of gyms and nightclubs.

    Spain only ended its tough national lockdown about four weeks ago and was hoping to kick-start the economy, particularly with tourism numbers.

    The streets of Barcelona were reported emptier on Saturday, although some residents may have defied orders and headed off in cars for second homes.

    Shopkeeper closing up in La Rambla, Barcelona
    Cases are surging in Spain’s north-eastern region of Catalonia

    Neighbouring France is now considering closing borders with Spain in response to the surge.

    When asked whether a closure of borders could be possible, new Prime Minister Jean Castex said: “We are monitoring this very closely, here in particular, because it is a real issue that we also need to discuss with the Spanish authorities.”

    The French border was only reopened to general citizens on 21 June.

    How are the EU’s plans for coronavirus relief going?

    On Saturday, discussions in Brussels over a huge post-coronavirus economic recovery plan ground on.

    The second day of talks received mixed reviews. Italian Prime Minister Giuseppe Conte said talks were deadlocked but Austrian Chancellor Sebastian Kurz said he thought they were going in the right direction.

    Some “frugal” northern nations like the Netherlands and Sweden have balked at the €750bn ($857bn; £680bn) package, arguing it should be loans not grants.

    A revised plan would tone down the level of grants but there appears to be a long way to go.

    The talks are now going into a third day on Sunday.

    Share. Facebook Twitter Telegram WhatsApp

    Keep Reading

    Michael Oyedokun: Terrorists behead abducted Oyo teacher

    Oyo suspends excursions, field trips, as slain teacher laid to rest

    Baba Malam Wali wins APC governorship ticket in Yobe

    Baba Malam Wali wins APC governorship ticket in Yobe

    Irate mob sets Ebola hospital on fire in DR Congo

    Irate mob sets Ebola hospital on fire in DR Congo

    Kaduna State Governor Uba Sani addressing judiciary staff union leaders during a meeting at Sir Kashim Ibrahim House in Kaduna.

    JUST IN: Sani approves nearly N1bn for Kaduna workers’ entitlements

    Trump : You're on your own, US tells citizens in Israel amid Middle East tensions 

    Trump sends 5000 US troops to Poland, NATO gives nod

    Nigerians reacting on social media to the appointment of Segun Aina as new JAMB registrar announced by President Tinubu.

    Mixed reactions trail JAMB registrar Segun Aina appointment

    Subscribe to News

    Be the first to get the latest news updates from ChronicleNG about world, sports, politics etc

    Michael Oyedokun: Terrorists behead abducted Oyo teacher

    Oyo suspends excursions, field trips, as slain teacher laid to rest

    May 22, 2026
    Azpilicueta to retire at end of season

    Chelsea legend Azpilicueta to retire from football at end of season

    May 22, 2026
    Baba Malam Wali wins APC governorship ticket in Yobe

    Baba Malam Wali wins APC governorship ticket in Yobe

    May 22, 2026
    Alvaro Arbeloa appointed as Real Madrid head coach after Alonso exit

    Alvaro Arbeloa confirms Real Madrid departure

    May 22, 2026
    Man United confirm Carrick as permanent manager

    Man United confirm Carrick as permanent head coach until 2028

    May 22, 2026
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    • Politics
    • News
    • Sports
    • Business
    • About Us
    © 2026 ChronicleNG

    Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.