Close Menu
Chronicle NG
    Trending Stories
    Health workers responding to Ebola outbreak in DR Congo Ituri province

    WHO declares DR Congo, Uganda Ebola outbreak global health emergency

    May 17, 2026
    Health workers responding to Ebola outbreak in DR Congo Ituri province

    65 dead as DR Congo confirms new Ebola outbreak

    May 17, 2026
    Packets of counterfeit Augmentin 625mg tablets flagged by NAFDAC over fake batch numbers and health risks in Nigeria.

    NAFDAC warns Nigerians over counterfeit Augmentin 625mg tablets

    May 17, 2026
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    Trending
    • WHO declares DR Congo, Uganda Ebola outbreak global health emergency
    • 65 dead as DR Congo confirms new Ebola outbreak
    • NAFDAC warns Nigerians over counterfeit Augmentin 625mg tablets
    • Oyo shuts schools after students, principal abduction
    • Benue youths protest during APC primaries, reject political activities over killings
    • Bruno Fernandes equals assist record as Man United beat Forest 3-2
    • Frank Edoho laments, says ‘I don’t want to die because of a woman’
    • Chelsea appoint Alonso as new manager after turbulent season
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    Chronicle NGChronicle NG
    Subscribe
    Monday, May 18
    • News
      • Nigeria News
      • World News
      • Headlines News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Sport
    • Entertainment
    • Contact Us
    Chronicle NG

    Southampton sack manager Russell Martin after 5-0 thrashing by Tottenham

    Opalim LiftedBy Opalim LiftedDecember 15, 2024No Comments2 Mins Read
    Facebook Twitter Telegram WhatsApp
    Southampton sack manager Russell Martin
    Southampton sack manager Russell Martin
    Facebook Twitter WhatsApp

    Southampton have sacked manager Russell Martin after a 5-0 thrashing by Tottenham on Sunday left them nine points off Premier League safety.

    Martin, 38, guided the Saints to promotion last year in his first season in charge, beating Leeds United in the play-off final at Wembley.

    But the loss against Spurs was Southampton’s 13th in the league this campaign from 16 games.

    Their only win this season was against Everton in November, while the St Mary’s club have scored a league-low 11 goals.

    “Going into the start of the season, we all knew the challenges that we would face this year as we readjusted to life in the top flight, competing in the best and most competitive league in the world,” said a Southampton statement.

    • Clinical Chelsea crush 10-man Southampton 5-1

    “However, the reality of our situation is clear. The board have supported Russell and his staff and been open and transparent regarding our expectations.

    “We have all been on the same page in recognising the urgency of needing results to improve.

    “We would like to take this opportunity to thank Russell and his staff for all the hard work and dedication they have given the club on and off the pitch over the last 18 months.

    “Everyone connected with Southampton FC will always have fantastic memories of last season, especially the play-off final win in May.”

    Southampton Under-21s manager Simon Rusk will take interim charge of the senior side and his first game will be a Carabao Cup quarter-final at home to Premier League leaders Liverpool on Wednesday.

    Martin’s dismissal comes on the same day as fellow top-flight strugglers Wolves decided to sack manager Gary O’Neil.

    Share. Facebook Twitter Telegram WhatsApp

    Keep Reading

    Fernandes

    Bruno Fernandes equals assist record as Man United beat Forest 3-2

    Xabi Alonso reacts as reports link him with the Chelsea manager’s job.

    Chelsea appoint Alonso as new manager after turbulent season

    Iran confirms squad for 2026 World Cup

    Iran confirms squad for 2026 World Cup

    Xabi Alonso reacts as reports link him with the Chelsea manager’s job.

    Xabi Alonso agrees four-year deal as Chelsea manager — Fabrizio Romano

    Manchester City FA Cup Final Winners 2026

    BREAKING: Man City beat Chelsea to win FA Cup for seventh time

    Mexico teachers to protest during world cup

    Mexico: Teachers threaten World Cup protests over salary proposal

    Subscribe to News

    Be the first to get the latest news updates from ChronicleNG about world, sports, politics etc

    Health workers responding to Ebola outbreak in DR Congo Ituri province

    WHO declares DR Congo, Uganda Ebola outbreak global health emergency

    May 17, 2026
    Health workers responding to Ebola outbreak in DR Congo Ituri province

    65 dead as DR Congo confirms new Ebola outbreak

    May 17, 2026
    Packets of counterfeit Augmentin 625mg tablets flagged by NAFDAC over fake batch numbers and health risks in Nigeria.

    NAFDAC warns Nigerians over counterfeit Augmentin 625mg tablets

    May 17, 2026
    Security concerns rise in Oyo communities as schools shut following student abduction in Oriire LGA.

    Oyo shuts schools after students, principal abduction

    May 17, 2026
    Benue: Protesting Plateau women destroy military checkpoints over killings

    Benue youths protest during APC primaries, reject political activities over killings

    May 17, 2026
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    • Politics
    • News
    • Sports
    • Business
    • About Us
    © 2026 ChronicleNG

    Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.