Close Menu
Chronicle NG
    Trending Stories
    El-Rufai court bail hearing in Abuja with strict DSS reporting and surety conditions outlined by the Federal High Court.

    Court orders El-Rufai to report to DSS monthly

    May 18, 2026
    Land-grabbing thugs popularly called "Omo Onile" have demolished over 50 buildings in the Surulere community of Lagos State.

    Political thugs disrupt Ondo APC primary collation

    May 18, 2026
    Senate : SERAP demands Akpabio publish names in N200tn NNPCL probe

    Akpabio emerges APC senatorial candidate for Akwa Ibom north west

    May 18, 2026
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    Trending
    • Court orders El-Rufai to report to DSS monthly
    • Political thugs disrupt Ondo APC primary collation
    • Akpabio emerges APC senatorial candidate for Akwa Ibom north west
    • El-Rufai: Family kicks as DSS picks ex-gov after court grants bail
    • Yahaya Bello wins APC Kogi central senate primary
    • Fire outbreak razes Abuja national hospital
    • Robert Lewandowski to leave Barcelona at end of season
    • Dani Carvajal leaves Real Madrid after 23 years
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    Chronicle NGChronicle NG
    Subscribe
    Tuesday, May 19
    • News
      • Nigeria News
      • World News
      • Headlines News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Sport
    • Entertainment
    • Contact Us
    Chronicle NG

    South Korea’s flood death toll rises to 40, Yoon blames botched responses

    Opalim LiftedBy Opalim LiftedJuly 17, 2023No Comments3 Mins Read
    Facebook Twitter Telegram WhatsApp
    Landslides sweep two buses into river, 65 passengers missing
    South Korea landslides, floods kill 24, over 1,000 evacuated
    Facebook Twitter WhatsApp

    South Korean President Yoon Suk Yeol blamed authorities’ failure to follow disaster response rules as the death toll from days of torrential rain, floods, rose to 40, including a dozen people found dead in a submerged underpass.

    Deluges have pummelling central and southern regions since Thursday as the rainy season that started in late June reaches its peak. The interior ministry has also reported nine people missing and 34 injured across the nation.

    Twelve deaths, including three bodies found overnight, occurred in a tunnel in Cheongju, 110 kilometres (68 miles) south of Seoul, where 16 vehicles, including a bus, were swamped by a flash flood on Saturday after a river levee collapsed.

    The incident fuelled questions over South Korea’s efforts to prevent and respond to flood damage. Some drivers who regularly use the road blamed the government for failing to ban access to the underpass even though floods were widely forecast.

    Yoon, just back from an overseas trip, convened a disaster response meeting on Monday and conceded the situation was made worse because of poor management of vulnerable areas.

    • NEMA DG urges governors to prepare for impending floods

    “We’ve repeatedly emphasized access control over dangerous areas and preemptive evacuation since last year, but if basic principles of disaster response are not kept on the spot, it is difficult to ensure public safety,” Yoon told the meeting.

    According to the interior ministry, nearly 900 fire, police, and military officials took part in the underpass rescue operation, using boats, underwater drones, and other equipment.

    Seo Jeong-il, fire chief in west Cheongju, told a briefing on Monday that while search efforts continued, there were no signs of more victims in the remaining vehicles in the tunnel.

    Floods have claimed dozens of lives during recent rainy seasons as weather patterns have become more extreme.

    The government last year vowed to take steps to better cope with climate change-induced disasters after the heaviest downpours in 115 years pounded Seoul, including the glitzy district of Gangnam, leaving at least 14 dead and flooding subways, roads, and homes.

    Yoon on Monday flew in a helicopter over some devastated areas. Earlier, he called for the utmost efforts to rescue any remaining victims and vowed support for those affected, including designating flood-hit areas as special disaster zones.

    “The government will restore everything, so don’t worry too much,” Yoon said after meeting residents in Yecheon in North Gyeongsang province, an area hit by landslides where 19 people died and eight remain missing.

    The situation across the border in North Korea remains unclear, but in recent weeks, state media has reported on heavy rainfall and referred to measures to protect crops in a country that has suffered from serious food shortages.

    At a briefing, the South’s Unification Ministry said it had asked Pyongyang to notify Seoul of any plans to release water from its Hwanggang Dam. In 2009, the release of water from the dam resulted in flooding downstream that killed six South Koreans.

    Share. Facebook Twitter Telegram WhatsApp

    Keep Reading

    President Bola Tinubu and Rwandan President Paul Kagame during bilateral talks at the Africa CEO Forum in Kigali.

    Nigeria to adopt Rwanda-style 30-day visa-free policy for Africans

    EFCC declares Timipre Sylva wanted

    Timipre Sylva: Court orders takeover of ex-gov’s properties

    Atiku warns of protest, says Nigerians are hungry

    Atiku warns against suspending campaigns in north over insecurity

    Tinubu vows end to Plateau killings, orders 5,000-camera surveillance in Jos

    ADC criticizes Tinubu over Nigeria’s global terrorism index

    Rena Wakama joins WNBA’s Chicago Sky as assistant coach

    Rena Wakama urges D’Tigress to focus after South Korea loss

    South Korea: D'Tigress arrive Abuja to hero’s welcome after 2025 FIBA Women's AfroBasket

    South Korea end D’Tigress two-year unbeaten run

    Subscribe to News

    Be the first to get the latest news updates from ChronicleNG about world, sports, politics etc

    El-Rufai court bail hearing in Abuja with strict DSS reporting and surety conditions outlined by the Federal High Court.

    Court orders El-Rufai to report to DSS monthly

    May 18, 2026
    Land-grabbing thugs popularly called "Omo Onile" have demolished over 50 buildings in the Surulere community of Lagos State.

    Political thugs disrupt Ondo APC primary collation

    May 18, 2026
    Senate : SERAP demands Akpabio publish names in N200tn NNPCL probe

    Akpabio emerges APC senatorial candidate for Akwa Ibom north west

    May 18, 2026
    Peter Obi has expressed condolences to former Kaduna State governor Mallam Nasir El-Rufai on the death of his mother, Hajiya Umma El-Rufai.

    El-Rufai: Family kicks as DSS picks ex-gov after court grants bail

    May 18, 2026
    Gunmen in military uniform attacked Yahaya Bello - Kogi Government

    Yahaya Bello wins APC Kogi central senate primary

    May 18, 2026
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    • Politics
    • News
    • Sports
    • Business
    • About Us
    © 2026 ChronicleNG

    Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.