Close Menu
Chronicle NG
    Trending Stories
    Health workers in protective gear responding to Ebola outbreak cases in the Democratic Republic of Congo.

    WHO approves $3.4m for Ebola response in DR Congo, Uganda as death toll hits 139

    May 21, 2026
    Police officer threatens to kill anyone who videos him on duty

    Police officer threatens to kill anyone who videos him on duty

    May 21, 2026
    Tinubu appoints Segun Aina as new JAMB registrar

    Tinubu appoints Segun Aina as new JAMB registrar

    May 21, 2026
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    Trending
    • WHO approves $3.4m for Ebola response in DR Congo, Uganda as death toll hits 139
    • Police officer threatens to kill anyone who videos him on duty
    • Tinubu appoints Segun Aina as new JAMB registrar
    • Tinubu: Fuel subsidy, forex cabals behind rising insecurity
    • NDLEA busts N480bn methamphetamine lab in Ogun, arrests three Mexicans
    • Big Wiz: Wizkid becomes first African artiste to reach 11bn Spotify streams
    • NLC warns ‘no community is safe anymore’ after Oyo abduction
    • Gowon accuses Ojukwu of frustrating peace talks, causing civil war
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    Chronicle NGChronicle NG
    Subscribe
    Thursday, May 21
    • News
      • Nigeria News
      • World News
      • Headlines News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Sport
    • Entertainment
    • Contact Us
    Chronicle NG

    Nigeria coup plot deepens as 30 suspects face prosecution

    Opalim LiftedBy Opalim LiftedNovember 2, 2025No Comments3 Mins Read
    Facebook Twitter Telegram WhatsApp
    President Bola Tinubu speaking during an international diplomatic engagement as Presidency defends his foreign trips against criticism from Peter Obi.
    President Bola Tinubu
    Facebook Twitter WhatsApp

    Nigeria’s investigation into an alleged coup attempt has reached a new stage, with no fewer than 30 suspects now set to face trial following weeks of interrogation by military and intelligence authorities, according to a major online news platform in the West African nation.

    Premium Times, which quoted unnamed sources familiar with the process, reported that those indicted include several senior military officers accused of plotting a violent takeover of government and planning the assassination of key officials.

    The suspects are expected to be tried in both military and civil courts, depending on their status, the newspaper said.

    It added that a preliminary report from the Special Investigative Panel has been prepared for submission to President Bola Tinubu. The report identifies over 30 individuals slated for prosecution and notes that seven others remain at large.

    “The seven people could not be found in their homes, and their telephone numbers have been dead since this matter started,” one source said, adding that a manhunt is ongoing.

    The Chairman of the panel, Major General Emmanuel Undiendeye, who also serves as the Chief of Defence Intelligence, is expected to meet with the Chief of Defence Staff and other service chiefs to determine the next steps.

    • EFCC, NFIU trace N45bn money trail in alleged coup plot

    “The president will also be briefed,” another source reportedly confirmed.

    Military officers among the suspects will face court martials, while civilians implicated in the plot will be prosecuted through the civil judicial system.

    Premium Times had earlier published the identities of 16 top military officers arrested in late September after intelligence reports indicated they were holding secret meetings to overthrow the government. Fourteen of those detained serve in the Army, while two others are from the Navy and Air Force. The identities of the newly detained suspects have not been released.

    Former Bayelsa governor and ex-minister of petroleum, Timipre Sylva, whose residence was recently raided by soldiers, denied any involvement in the alleged plot.

    Timipre Sylva Abuja home raided by military over coup plot
    Former Bayelsa State Governor Timipre Sylva

    His spokesperson, Julius Bokoru, said, “During the said operation, considerable damage was inflicted upon the property. Despite sustained efforts,

    I have been unable to ascertain the reasons or authorisation for this raid.” Bokoru added that Mr Sylva was abroad during the incident and has not yet returned to Nigeria.

    The Defence Headquarters had earlier described its investigation of detained officers as “a routine internal process aimed at maintaining discipline and professionalism,” though it stopped short of denying the alleged coup. Sources, however, suggest that military authorities are now preparing to issue a formal statement on the findings.

    Security reports had earlier indicated that the alleged plotters planned to target President Tinubu, Vice President Kashim Shettima, Senate President Godswill Akpabio, and House Speaker Tajudeen Abbas.

    Weeks after the arrests, Tinubu announced sweeping changes in the military hierarchy, replacing the Chief of Defence Staff and several service chiefs. The presidency has not publicly linked the reshuffle to the alleged coup investigation.

    Share. Facebook Twitter Telegram WhatsApp

    Keep Reading

    Health workers in protective gear responding to Ebola outbreak cases in the Democratic Republic of Congo.

    WHO approves $3.4m for Ebola response in DR Congo, Uganda as death toll hits 139

    Police officer threatens to kill anyone who videos him on duty

    Police officer threatens to kill anyone who videos him on duty

    Tinubu appoints Segun Aina as new JAMB registrar

    Tinubu appoints Segun Aina as new JAMB registrar

    President Bola Tinubu speaking at a public event in Nigeria, representing federal government economic policy announcements.

    Tinubu: Fuel subsidy, forex cabals behind rising insecurity

    NDLEA operatives at a clandestine methamphetamine laboratory uncovered in Ogun forest with seized chemical substances and suspects.

    NDLEA busts N480bn methamphetamine lab in Ogun, arrests three Mexicans

    NLC warns ‘no community is safe anymore’ after Oyo abduction

    NLC warns ‘no community is safe anymore’ after Oyo abduction

    Subscribe to News

    Be the first to get the latest news updates from ChronicleNG about world, sports, politics etc

    Health workers in protective gear responding to Ebola outbreak cases in the Democratic Republic of Congo.

    WHO approves $3.4m for Ebola response in DR Congo, Uganda as death toll hits 139

    May 21, 2026
    Police officer threatens to kill anyone who videos him on duty

    Police officer threatens to kill anyone who videos him on duty

    May 21, 2026
    Tinubu appoints Segun Aina as new JAMB registrar

    Tinubu appoints Segun Aina as new JAMB registrar

    May 21, 2026
    President Bola Tinubu speaking at a public event in Nigeria, representing federal government economic policy announcements.

    Tinubu: Fuel subsidy, forex cabals behind rising insecurity

    May 21, 2026
    NDLEA operatives at a clandestine methamphetamine laboratory uncovered in Ogun forest with seized chemical substances and suspects.

    NDLEA busts N480bn methamphetamine lab in Ogun, arrests three Mexicans

    May 21, 2026
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    • Politics
    • News
    • Sports
    • Business
    • About Us
    © 2026 ChronicleNG

    Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.