Close Menu
Chronicle NG
    Trending Stories
    EFCC anti-corruption infographic condemning leaders who loot public funds to buy private jets.

    EFCC warns leaders against looting public funds for luxury lifestyles

    May 23, 2026
    Tinubu vows end to Plateau killings, orders 5,000-camera surveillance in Jos

    Tinubu to receive APC presidential ticket, flag on Sunday

    May 23, 2026
    Health workers in protective gear responding to Ebola outbreak cases in the Democratic Republic of Congo.

    WHO raises DR Congo Ebola risk ‘very high’ as Uganda records three more cases

    May 23, 2026
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    Trending
    • EFCC warns leaders against looting public funds for luxury lifestyles
    • Tinubu to receive APC presidential ticket, flag on Sunday
    • WHO raises DR Congo Ebola risk ‘very high’ as Uganda records three more cases
    • Troops rescue abducted 8-year-old child, kill terrorists in North-East operations
    • Fernandes named Premier League player of the season
    • Tinubu pulls landslide victory in Rivers presidential primary election
    • Tinubu defeats Osifo to win APC primary election in Ebonyi
    • 2027: Tinubu wins APC primary election in Gombe
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    Chronicle NGChronicle NG
    Subscribe
    Sunday, May 24
    • News
      • Nigeria News
      • World News
      • Headlines News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Sport
    • Entertainment
    • Contact Us
    Chronicle NG

    Sadio Mane named in Senegal squad for World Cup

    David GreatBy David GreatNovember 11, 2022No Comments3 Mins Read
    Facebook Twitter Telegram WhatsApp
    Sadio Mane came off after 20 minutes against Werder Bremen
    Sadio Mane came off injured after 20 minutes against Werder Bremen
    Facebook Twitter WhatsApp

    Sadio Mane has been named in Senegal’s squad for the World Cup in Qatar despite suffering an injury playing for Bayern Munich on Tuesday.

    The 30-year-old striker, whose decisive penalty kicks won both the Africa Cup of Nations and World Cup qualification for his country this year, suffered an injury to his right fibula in Bayern’s 6-1 win against Werder Bremen and misses this weekend’s clash against Schalke 04.

    But coach Aliou Cisse included the team’s talisman when he named his 26-man squad at a news conference in Dakar on Friday, saying he was confident Mane could recover in time to play at the tournament.

    He said Senegal had sent the Senegalese federation’s doctor to examine Mane on Thursday and had been told he would not require surgery.

    “That’s very good news and we now have the chance to try and get him fit for the tournament. We now have two weeks to observe and see how the injury reacts to treatment,” Cisse said.

    “I prefer to keep him in the squad because he is such an important part of us.”

    Senegal beat Egypt on penalties to win their first ever AFCON title
    Senegal beat Egypt on penalties to win their first ever AFCON title

    The coach used the example of Watford attacker Ismaila Sarr, who had been injured going into January’s Africa Cup of Nations finals, but was included in the squad and recovered after the first round to contribute to Senegal’s success in the tournament.

    “We will do all in our power to ensure we can recover Mane in time to play,” Cisse added.

    • Senegal’s Sadio Mane injured 13 days to World Cup

    Cisse kept faith with the majority of the squad that won the Cup of Nations in Cameroon but did include Monaco defender Ismail Jakobs and strikers Nicolas Jackson (Villarreal) and Ilimane Ndiaye (Sheffield United), who earned their first caps after World Cup qualification was secured in March.

    “The players chosen correspond with our vision and philosophy. They are competitors of a high level,” said Cisse, who had his contract as coach extended by a further two years on Thursday.

    Squad:

    Goalkeepers: Seny Dieng (Queens Park Rangers), Alfred Gomis (Stade Rennes), Eduoard Mendy (Chelsea)

    Defenders: Fode Ballo Toure (AC Milan), Pape Abou Cisse (Olympiakos), Abdou Diallo (RB Leipzig), Ismail Jakobs (Monaco), Kalidou Koulibaly (Chelsea), Formose Mendy (Amiens), Youssouf Sabaly (Real Betis)

    Midfielders: Pathe Ismael Ciss (Rayo Vallecano) Krepin Diatta (Monaco), Idrissa Gana Gueye (Everton), Pape Gueye (Olympique Marseille), Cheikhou Kouyate (Nottingham Forest), Mamdou Loum (Reading), Nampalys Mendy (Leicester City), Moustapha Name (Pafos FC), Pape Matar Sarr (Tottenham Hotspur)

    Forwards: Boulaye Dia (Salernitana), Famara Diedhiou (Alanyaspor), Bamba Dieng (Olympique Marseille), Nicolas Jackson (Villarreal), Sadio Mane (Bayern Munich), Ilimane Ndiaye (Sheffield United), Ismaila Sarr (Watford).

    Share. Facebook Twitter Telegram WhatsApp

    Keep Reading

    Fernandes named Premier League player of the season

    Fernandes named Premier League player of the season

    Celtic extend league league with pulsating win over Rangers

    Celtic win Scottish Cup to complete double

    Hull promoted to Premier League after 1-0 win over Middlesbrough

    Hull promoted to Premier League after 1-0 win over Middlesbrough

    Azpilicueta to retire at end of season

    Chelsea legend Azpilicueta to retire from football at end of season

    Alvaro Arbeloa appointed as Real Madrid head coach after Alonso exit

    Alvaro Arbeloa confirms Real Madrid departure

    Man United confirm Carrick as permanent manager

    Man United confirm Carrick as permanent head coach until 2028

    Subscribe to News

    Be the first to get the latest news updates from ChronicleNG about world, sports, politics etc

    EFCC anti-corruption infographic condemning leaders who loot public funds to buy private jets.

    EFCC warns leaders against looting public funds for luxury lifestyles

    May 23, 2026
    Tinubu vows end to Plateau killings, orders 5,000-camera surveillance in Jos

    Tinubu to receive APC presidential ticket, flag on Sunday

    May 23, 2026
    Health workers in protective gear responding to Ebola outbreak cases in the Democratic Republic of Congo.

    WHO raises DR Congo Ebola risk ‘very high’ as Uganda records three more cases

    May 23, 2026
    Nigerian troops during Operation Hadin Kai patrol operations in the North-East region.

    Troops rescue abducted 8-year-old child, kill terrorists in North-East operations

    May 23, 2026
    Fernandes named Premier League player of the season

    Fernandes named Premier League player of the season

    May 23, 2026
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    • Politics
    • News
    • Sports
    • Business
    • About Us
    © 2026 ChronicleNG

    Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.