Close Menu
Chronicle NG
    Trending Stories
    Two killed, five injured in APC ward congress in Ondo

    Two killed, five injured in APC ward congress in Ondo

    February 18, 2026
    Gas leak in Plateau mine kills 37, others hospitalised

    Gas leak in Plateau mine kills 37, others hospitalised

    February 18, 2026
    Governor Uba Sani of Kaduna State has approved 50 Christians from the state to embark on a holy pilgrimage, ending an 11-year suspension of the program.

    Kaduna ends El-Rufai’s ban, approves 50 Christians for pilgrimage

    February 18, 2026
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    Trending
    • Two killed, five injured in APC ward congress in Ondo
    • Gas leak in Plateau mine kills 37, others hospitalised
    • Kaduna ends El-Rufai’s ban, approves 50 Christians for pilgrimage
    • Troops rescue victim, kill five kidnappers in Plateau
    • Vinicius, racism and Mourinho’s hideous reaction, by Bamidele Johnson 
    • Dangote predicts Naira at N1,100/dollar in 2026
    • Wike berates Amaechi over NASS protest appearance with doctor son
    • Residents flee to Benin Republic as terrorists invade Niger again
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    Chronicle NGChronicle NG
    Subscribe
    Wednesday, February 18
    • News
      • Nigeria News
      • World News
      • Headlines News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Sport
    • Entertainment
    • Contact Us
    Chronicle NG

    Manchester United will challenge Liverpool, Ten Hag insists

    David GreatBy David GreatDecember 15, 2023No Comments3 Mins Read
    Facebook Twitter Telegram WhatsApp
    BREAKING: Erik ten Hag sacked by Bayer Leverkusen after just three games
    Former Man United coach Erik ten Hag
    Facebook Twitter WhatsApp

    Erik ten Hag says misfiring Manchester United will challenge and compete with Liverpool in its next match at Anfield on Sunday.

    Manchester United, he said, can show they have learned from last season’s 7-0 humbling at Liverpool on Sunday, insisting the future is bright for his beleaguered club.

    With the exception of a 2-1 win at Old Trafford in August 2022, United’s recent record against the Premier League leaders is dire – they have lost four of the past five meetings, conceding 21 goals in the process.

    Ten Hag said his sixth-placed team would be highly motivated at Anfield, despite the trauma of last season’s record defeat against their bitter rivals.

    “It is a great place to go,” the Dutchman said on Friday. “We know it is going to be tough, but I think every top footballer wants to have that challenge.

    “Last year we take that in our memory but you also have to take the benefit from it, learn from it and on Sunday we can prove that.”

    Ten Hag said the match at Anfield, where Liverpool have won every league matches this season, would be a “new game”.

    “We go there and we will be confident from the start to the end,” he said. “We have to fight there, we have to challenge there.”

    Injury-hit Manchester United have had a wretched season so far – losing 12 of their 24 matches in all competitions.

    Last week they were embarrassed 3-0 at home by Bournemouth and on Tuesday they crashed out of the Champions League after finishing bottom of their group.

    But Ten Hag said he was upbeat about the future.

    • Guardiola doubts Haaland’s fitness for Club World Cup

    “The future for Manchester United is very good if you see how many good players we have in the squad, how many good young players we have in the squad who have really high potential to play at the top level worldwide but we have to develop that,” he said.

    “I’m sure when the players return from injury this team will perform better.”

    United’s dire campaign has heaped the pressure on Ten Hag himself, who has worked against a background of uncertainty as the wait goes on for confirmation of British billionaire Jim Ratcliffe’s partial takeover.

    But the Dutch manager said he has the backing of the Old Trafford hierarchy.

    “I’m focusing on the process, I’m focusing on making the team play better, I’m focusing on making individuals better,” he said.

    “That’s my concern. That is all I’m doing – focusing on the right thing and that is the team.”

    Manchester United captain Bruno Fernandes faced particular criticism after March’s Anfield annihilation and will miss Sunday’s match after collecting a fifth booking of the season for dissent.

    Fernandes joins a long list of absentees, including injured players Lisandro Martinez, Casemiro and Tyrell Malacia.

     

    AFP

     

    Share. Facebook Twitter Telegram WhatsApp

    Keep Reading

    Vinicius, racism and mourinho’s hideous reaction, by Bamidele Johnson

    Vinicius, racism and Mourinho’s hideous reaction, by Bamidele Johnson 

    Borussia Dortmund Niclas Fuellkurg scored the only goal of the match against PSG

    Borussia Dortmund get 2-0 Champions League win over Atalanta

    Desire Doue

    Doue scores brace as PSG comeback to beat 10-man Monaco

    Vinicius Junior scored a spectacular winner for Real Madrid against Benfica in their Champions League play-off first leg, which was stopped for 10 minutes for alleged racist abuse.

    Vinicius scores winner despite racist abuse in Benfica clash

    Galatasaray will head to Turin with a three-goal advantage after recovering from a deficit to defeat Juventus in an intense first leg of their Champions League knockout phase playoff tie.

    Galatasaray thrash Juventus 5-2 in thrilling UCL clash

    Saka, Rice seal Arsenal win over West Ham to go top 

    Saka extends Arsenal stay with fresh five-year contract

    Subscribe to News

    Be the first to get the latest news updates from ChronicleNG about world, sports, politics etc

    Two killed, five injured in APC ward congress in Ondo

    Two killed, five injured in APC ward congress in Ondo

    February 18, 2026
    Gas leak in Plateau mine kills 37, others hospitalised

    Gas leak in Plateau mine kills 37, others hospitalised

    February 18, 2026
    Governor Uba Sani of Kaduna State has approved 50 Christians from the state to embark on a holy pilgrimage, ending an 11-year suspension of the program.

    Kaduna ends El-Rufai’s ban, approves 50 Christians for pilgrimage

    February 18, 2026
    Troops nab 25 suspected bandits, kidnappers along Benue highway 

    Troops rescue victim, kill five kidnappers in Plateau

    February 18, 2026
    Vinicius, racism and mourinho’s hideous reaction, by Bamidele Johnson

    Vinicius, racism and Mourinho’s hideous reaction, by Bamidele Johnson 

    February 18, 2026
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    • Politics
    • News
    • Sports
    • Business
    • About Us
    © 2026 ChronicleNG

    Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.