Close Menu
Chronicle NG
    Trending Stories
    Social network X restored global outage

    Social network X restored after global outage

    February 16, 2026
    Court to hear suit seeking to deregister ADC, 3 others

    Court to hear suit seeking to deregister ADC, 3 others

    February 16, 2026
    US freezes assets of eight Nigerians over Boko Haram, ISIL links

    US freezes assets of eight Nigerians over Boko Haram, ISIL links

    February 16, 2026
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    Trending
    • Social network X restored after global outage
    • Court to hear suit seeking to deregister ADC, 3 others
    • US freezes assets of eight Nigerians over Boko Haram, ISIL links
    • Jihadists kill seven Ghanaians in Burkina Faso attack
    • Tinubu lauds Adamawa gov for infrastructure projects
    • APC apologies for listing late army general, serving justice as stakeholders
    • Natasha in fresh clash at senate committee chairman’s office
    • Ramadan: EPL to pause matches so Muslim players can break fast
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    Chronicle NGChronicle NG
    Subscribe
    Monday, February 16
    • News
      • Nigeria News
      • World News
      • Headlines News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Sport
    • Entertainment
    • Contact Us
    Chronicle NG

    Jihadists kill seven Ghanaians in Burkina Faso attack

    Vincent OsuwoBy Vincent OsuwoFebruary 16, 2026No Comments2 Mins Read
    Facebook Twitter Telegram WhatsApp
    Jihadists kill seven Ghanaians in Burkina Faso attack
    Terrorists
    Facebook Twitter WhatsApp

    A weekend attack by jihadists on a strategic town in northern Burkina Faso killed around 10 civilians, including seven Ghanaians, according to officials and locals.

    Though the army claims it repelled the attack on Saturday, the toll puts the total number of individuals believed dead in jihadist attacks in the West African nation at at least 20, according to local and security sources.

    For more than a decade, Burkina Faso has been beset by bloodshed by extremists affiliated with either the Islamic State or Al-Qaeda throughout large swaths of its arid region.

    Despite the army seizing control in a 2022 coup with the promise of restoring security within months, the country continues in a state of unrest.

    On Saturday, assailants invaded Titao, the seat of northern Louroum province, attacking a military force stationed there.

    According to a resident who spoke with AFP on Monday, “There were about 10 deaths among the civilian population.”

    “Traders and truck drivers who had come to the market were killed,” the local said, adding that “several shops and trucks were set on fire.”

    The interior minister of Ghana, which borders Burkina Faso to the south, told Joy FM radio on Monday that seven Ghanaian tomato dealers were slain in the attack, and their bodies had been burned beyond recognition.

    The Burkinabe army, which rarely talks about the country’s numerous attacks, broke its quiet late Sunday on national television to claim victory over a terrorist offensive on Titao.

    In an interview, army spokesperson Lieutenant-Colonel Abdoul Aziz Ouedraogo alleged that the jihadists set fire to the market in order to create “propaganda” movies.

    On Monday, the Group for the Support of Islam and Muslims, also known as JNIM in Arabic, claimed responsibility for the attack in Titao, claiming that “dozens of Burkinabe soldiers” were killed in the raid.

    The Al-Qaeda-linked group also claimed responsibility for attacks on army bases in Nare, Tandjari, Bilanga, and Ouahigouya from Thursday to Sunday, claiming the deaths of at least 19 troops.

    According to conflict monitor ACLED, Burkina Faso’s jihadist insurgency has killed tens of thousands of civilians and military since 2015, with more than half dying in the last three years.

    Share. Facebook Twitter Telegram WhatsApp

    Keep Reading

    Social network X restored global outage

    Social network X restored after global outage

    Court to hear suit seeking to deregister ADC, 3 others

    Court to hear suit seeking to deregister ADC, 3 others

    US freezes assets of eight Nigerians over Boko Haram, ISIL links

    US freezes assets of eight Nigerians over Boko Haram, ISIL links

    Emergency rule: Court to decide if Tinubu can remove elected officials March 9

    Tinubu lauds Adamawa gov for infrastructure projects

    APC apologies for listing late army general, serving justice as stakeholders

    APC apologies for listing late army general, serving justice as stakeholders

    Court adjourns Natasha Akpoti’s suit against senate to March 25

    Natasha in fresh clash at senate committee chairman’s office

    Subscribe to News

    Be the first to get the latest news updates from ChronicleNG about world, sports, politics etc

    Social network X restored global outage

    Social network X restored after global outage

    February 16, 2026
    Court to hear suit seeking to deregister ADC, 3 others

    Court to hear suit seeking to deregister ADC, 3 others

    February 16, 2026
    US freezes assets of eight Nigerians over Boko Haram, ISIL links

    US freezes assets of eight Nigerians over Boko Haram, ISIL links

    February 16, 2026
    Jihadists kill seven Ghanaians in Burkina Faso attack

    Jihadists kill seven Ghanaians in Burkina Faso attack

    February 16, 2026
    Emergency rule: Court to decide if Tinubu can remove elected officials March 9

    Tinubu lauds Adamawa gov for infrastructure projects

    February 16, 2026
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    • Politics
    • News
    • Sports
    • Business
    • About Us
    © 2026 ChronicleNG

    Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.