Close Menu
Chronicle NG
    Trending Stories
    Land-grabbing thugs popularly called "Omo Onile" have demolished over 50 buildings in the Surulere community of Lagos State.

    Political thugs disrupt Ondo APC primary collation

    May 18, 2026
    Senate : SERAP demands Akpabio publish names in N200tn NNPCL probe

    Akpabio emerges APC senatorial candidate for Akwa Ibom north west

    May 18, 2026
    Peter Obi has expressed condolences to former Kaduna State governor Mallam Nasir El-Rufai on the death of his mother, Hajiya Umma El-Rufai.

    El-Rufai: Family kicks as DSS picks ex-gov after court grants bail

    May 18, 2026
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    Trending
    • Political thugs disrupt Ondo APC primary collation
    • Akpabio emerges APC senatorial candidate for Akwa Ibom north west
    • El-Rufai: Family kicks as DSS picks ex-gov after court grants bail
    • Yahaya Bello wins APC Kogi central senate primary
    • Fire outbreak razes Abuja national hospital
    • Robert Lewandowski to leave Barcelona at end of season
    • Dani Carvajal leaves Real Madrid after 23 years
    • APC disqualifies Ben Bruce, 46 others from senatorial race
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    Chronicle NGChronicle NG
    Subscribe
    Monday, May 18
    • News
      • Nigeria News
      • World News
      • Headlines News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Sport
    • Entertainment
    • Contact Us
    Chronicle NG

    Violent protests in South Africa over alleged Igbo king coronation

    Opalim LiftedBy Opalim LiftedMarch 31, 2026No Comments2 Mins Read
    Facebook Twitter Telegram WhatsApp
    Protesters burn vehicles and vandalise property during unrest in Eastern Cape over alleged Igbo leader coronation
    Protesters burn vehicles and vandalise property during unrest in South Africa
    Facebook Twitter WhatsApp

    Violence erupted in South Africa’s Eastern Cape on Monday as protests against an alleged Igbo traditional leader coronation spiralled into chaos, leaving several vehicles and properties destroyed.

    The unrest, reported in areas including KuGompo City, was linked to claims that a Nigerian national, Solomon Eziko, had been crowned as a traditional leader of the Igbo community. Protesters described the move as a breach of South Africa’s constitutional and cultural systems.

    Members of ActionSA were said to have organised the demonstration, insisting that only recognised processes should determine traditional leadership.

    According to SABC News, Athol Trollip, the party’s Eastern Cape chairman, said the group supports established traditional authorities and due legal procedures.

    The protest quickly turned violent. Reports from Newzroom Africa and Eyewitness News indicated that demonstrators torched vehicles and buildings allegedly belonging to foreign nationals. Looting was also reported, with a local butchery ransacked.

    • South Africa revolt over renaming of town after anti-apartheid icon

    Videos circulating online showed protesters smashing vehicle windscreens and damaging property, raising concerns over escalating xenophobic tensions.

    Amilcar Baleni, a South African resident, criticised the destruction, questioning the justification for targeting citizens’ livelihoods over what he described as misinformation.

    Meanwhile, the Economic Freedom Fighters (EFF) weighed in, stating that only the Department of Cooperative Governance and Traditional Affairs (COGTA) has the authority to recognise traditional rulers under the Traditional and Khoi-San Leadership Act of 2019.

    The group described any self-declared kingship outside legal frameworks as both illegal and offensive, particularly when involving foreign nationals. It called for those responsible for the unrest to be arrested and held accountable.

    However, the Nigerian High Commission in South Africa dismissed claims that any coronation took place.

    In a statement, the mission clarified that the gathering in East London was merely a cultural festival, not a political or traditional installation of a monarch.

    It explained that Igbo cultural events—such as the New Yam Festival and traditional title ceremonies—are often symbolic and do not confer political authority.

    The commission stressed that the event had no territorial or governance implications within South Africa and expressed regret over any misunderstanding caused.

    Authorities have yet to confirm arrests as tensions remain high, with calls for calm and restraint from both Nigerian and South African stakeholders.

    Share. Facebook Twitter Telegram WhatsApp

    Keep Reading

    Land-grabbing thugs popularly called "Omo Onile" have demolished over 50 buildings in the Surulere community of Lagos State.

    Political thugs disrupt Ondo APC primary collation

    Senate : SERAP demands Akpabio publish names in N200tn NNPCL probe

    Akpabio emerges APC senatorial candidate for Akwa Ibom north west

    Peter Obi has expressed condolences to former Kaduna State governor Mallam Nasir El-Rufai on the death of his mother, Hajiya Umma El-Rufai.

    El-Rufai: Family kicks as DSS picks ex-gov after court grants bail

    Gunmen in military uniform attacked Yahaya Bello - Kogi Government

    Yahaya Bello wins APC Kogi central senate primary

    Fire razes TASUED hostel

    Fire outbreak razes Abuja national hospital

    APC) has announced the names of 47 senatorial aspirants who were not cleared to participate in its Senate primary elections ahead of the 2027 general elections.

    APC disqualifies Ben Bruce, 46 others from senatorial race

    Subscribe to News

    Be the first to get the latest news updates from ChronicleNG about world, sports, politics etc

    Land-grabbing thugs popularly called "Omo Onile" have demolished over 50 buildings in the Surulere community of Lagos State.

    Political thugs disrupt Ondo APC primary collation

    May 18, 2026
    Senate : SERAP demands Akpabio publish names in N200tn NNPCL probe

    Akpabio emerges APC senatorial candidate for Akwa Ibom north west

    May 18, 2026
    Peter Obi has expressed condolences to former Kaduna State governor Mallam Nasir El-Rufai on the death of his mother, Hajiya Umma El-Rufai.

    El-Rufai: Family kicks as DSS picks ex-gov after court grants bail

    May 18, 2026
    Gunmen in military uniform attacked Yahaya Bello - Kogi Government

    Yahaya Bello wins APC Kogi central senate primary

    May 18, 2026
    Fire razes TASUED hostel

    Fire outbreak razes Abuja national hospital

    May 18, 2026
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    • Politics
    • News
    • Sports
    • Business
    • About Us
    © 2026 ChronicleNG

    Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.