Close Menu
Chronicle NG
    Trending Stories
    Kwankwaso denies working for Tinubu and says Peter Obi is the best southern candidate for the 2027 election.

    Kwankwaso denies working for Tinubu, says only ‘foolish people’ would believe

    May 21, 2026
    Kingsley Chinda emerges Rivers APC governorship candidate

    Kingsley Chinda emerges Rivers APC governorship candidate

    May 21, 2026
    INEC chairman, Prof. Joash Ojo Amupitan speaking on the need to arrest and prosecute vote buyers in Nigeria

    INEC chair demands arrest, prosecution of vote buyers

    May 21, 2026
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    Trending
    • Kwankwaso denies working for Tinubu, says only ‘foolish people’ would believe
    • Kingsley Chinda emerges Rivers APC governorship candidate
    • INEC chair demands arrest, prosecution of vote buyers
    • Yusuf’s aide says Kwankwaso working for Tinubu behind the scenes
    • Osimhen, Galatasaray teammates hosted by Turkish president
    • Maguire ‘shocked’ to miss Tuchel’s England World Cup squad
    • Sokoto: APC endorses Aliyu for second term
    • Yusuf emerges APC consensus candidate for Kano gov poll
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    Chronicle NGChronicle NG
    Subscribe
    Thursday, May 21
    • News
      • Nigeria News
      • World News
      • Headlines News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Sport
    • Entertainment
    • Contact Us
    Chronicle NG

    Four suicide bombers kill 15 in Maiduguri

    Chronicle EditorBy Chronicle EditorJuly 12, 2017No Comments3 Mins Read
    Facebook Twitter Telegram WhatsApp
    Multiple bomb blasts rock Maiduguri after attack on Military base
    Bomb explosion
    Facebook Twitter WhatsApp
    FILE PHOTO: Boko Haram Suicide bombers have consistently attacked Maiduguri

    At least 15 people were killed when four female suicide bombers detonated their explosives in Maiduguri, northeast Nigeria, police said on Wednesday, in the latest violence to hit the strategic city.

    Borno state police commissioner Damian Chukwu told reporters the four struck in the suburb of Molai Kalemari on Tuesday night and that most of the victims were civilian militia manning security posts.

    “The bombers detonated IEDs (improvised explosive devices) strapped to their bodies at different locations of the area, killing 19 people, including the bombers,” he said.

    “A total of 23 people were injured.”

    Bello Danbatta, a spokesman for the Civilian Joint Task Force (JTF) militia and chief security officer at the Borno State Emergency Management Agency (SEMA), said it appeared his men were the targets.

    Two of the bombers blew themselves up at checkpoints manned by militia members, who assist the military with security and sometimes accompany soldiers on operations against Boko Haram jihadists.

    “In all we lost 12 of our gallant JTF,” he said.

    READ: Buhari recuperating very well, says Osinbajo

    He added: “Civilian JTF have sacrificed their lives to protect their people and the life and property of the citizens of Borno state.

    “We sacrificed our life, inshallah (God willing), we continue to fight this insurgency.”

    SEMA operatives in face-masks and white overalls were on Wednesday seen removing body parts from the scene of the attacks. Victims were covered with rugs awaiting burial, as local people looked on.

    Suicide bombings have become a feature of Boko Haram’s eight-year insurgency in northeast Nigeria, which has killed at least 20,000 people and made more than 2.6 million others homeless.

    Young women and girls have frequently been used to attack security checkpoints, as well as civilian “soft targets” such as mosques, markets and bus stations.

    Nine people were killed in a string of suicide bomb attacks in the city last month around the Eid al-Fitr holiday marking the end of the Muslim holy month of Ramadan.

    The University of Maiduguri, which lies on the edge of the city, has become a frequent target since the start of the year, as it teaches the “western” education despised by the Islamic State group affiliate.

    Nigeria’s military and government maintain the group is a spent force and on the verge of defeat as a result of sustained counter-insurgency operations since early 2015.

    But sporadic fighting still occurs, while mines and blasts remain a constant threat.

    Boko Haram this week released a video showing executions and amputations for alleged infringements of its strict interpretation of Islam, suggesting it still holds territory in some areas.

    Share. Facebook Twitter Telegram WhatsApp

    Keep Reading

    Kwankwaso denies working for Tinubu and says Peter Obi is the best southern candidate for the 2027 election.

    Kwankwaso denies working for Tinubu, says only ‘foolish people’ would believe

    Kingsley Chinda emerges Rivers APC governorship candidate

    Kingsley Chinda emerges Rivers APC governorship candidate

    INEC chairman, Prof. Joash Ojo Amupitan speaking on the need to arrest and prosecute vote buyers in Nigeria

    INEC chair demands arrest, prosecution of vote buyers

    Kwankwaso denies working for Tinubu and says Peter Obi is the best southern candidate for the 2027 election.

    Yusuf’s aide says Kwankwaso working for Tinubu behind the scenes

    Aliyu sacks all Sokoto educational authorities

    Sokoto: APC endorses Aliyu for second term

    Kano gov Yusuf suspends loan vendors after N1.8bn Illegal salary deductions

    Yusuf emerges APC consensus candidate for Kano gov poll

    Subscribe to News

    Be the first to get the latest news updates from ChronicleNG about world, sports, politics etc

    Kwankwaso denies working for Tinubu and says Peter Obi is the best southern candidate for the 2027 election.

    Kwankwaso denies working for Tinubu, says only ‘foolish people’ would believe

    May 21, 2026
    Kingsley Chinda emerges Rivers APC governorship candidate

    Kingsley Chinda emerges Rivers APC governorship candidate

    May 21, 2026
    INEC chairman, Prof. Joash Ojo Amupitan speaking on the need to arrest and prosecute vote buyers in Nigeria

    INEC chair demands arrest, prosecution of vote buyers

    May 21, 2026
    Kwankwaso denies working for Tinubu and says Peter Obi is the best southern candidate for the 2027 election.

    Yusuf’s aide says Kwankwaso working for Tinubu behind the scenes

    May 21, 2026
    Osimhen, Galatasaray teammates hosted by Turkey president

    Osimhen, Galatasaray teammates hosted by Turkish president

    May 21, 2026
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    • Politics
    • News
    • Sports
    • Business
    • About Us
    © 2026 ChronicleNG

    Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.