More than 20 ISIS/ISWAP fighters have been killed in a series of coordinated air strikes carried out by Nigerian and United States forces in Metele, Borno State, according to Nigeria’s Defence Headquarters (DHQ).
The operation, announced on Monday, followed what the military described as the “observed convergence and migration of terrorist elements” in the area.
Major General Samaila Uba, director of defence information at the DHQ, said the strikes were part of ongoing counter-terrorism operations targeting extremist networks in the North-East.
“The ongoing operations follow the neutralisation of ISIS commander Abu-Bilal al-Minuki and are part of sustained efforts to disrupt terrorist networks, remove them from the battlefield and deny the terrorists any safe haven within Nigeria,” the statement said.
He added that the Armed Forces of Nigeria would continue operations aimed at protecting the country’s sovereignty and security.
“There will be no safe haven for all terrorists anywhere in Nigeria,” the statement added.
The United States Africa Command also confirmed the strikes on its official website, saying the operation was conducted on Sunday in coordination with the Nigerian government.
According to the command, intelligence reports confirmed the targets were ISIS militants operating in north-eastern Nigeria.
“Complete assessments are ongoing. No U.S. or Nigerian forces were harmed,” US-Africom said.
The command added that the operation weakened the terror group’s ability to plan attacks against both the United States and its partners.
The latest strikes come days after Donald Trump announced that Abu-Bilal al-Minuki, described as ISIS’ second-in-command, had been killed during a joint Nigerian-American military operation.
Trump disclosed the development in a social media post early Saturday, describing the mission as “complex”.









