Author: Chronicle Editor

Danny Drinkwater will appear before a magistrate court next month after being charged for drink driving Photo: SkySPorts

Leicester City midfielder Danny Drinkwater has asked to leave the club amid interest from Chelsea. The Premier League champions have had two bids turned down for the England player, who last summer signed a contract extension to 2021. Leicester have previously stated they do not wish to lose Drinkwater, 27, who was an integral part of the Foxes’ title-winning squad in 2016. READ: Buhari receives victorious D’Tigress, gives them N1m each However, Chelsea boss Antonio Conte wants a replacement for Nemanja Matic. Drinkwater played in 35 of Leicester’s 38 league games in their title-winning season and formed an impressive midfield…

Read More
Muiz Banire has been sacked as AMCON chairman

…As Disciplinary Committee submits report The Ward C Chapter of All Progressives Congress (APC) in Mushin Local Government Area of Lagos State has upheld the decision of its Disciplinary Committee recommending the suspension of the embattled National Legal Adviser of the party, Mr Muiz Banire for a period of ten years for engaging in various acts of anti-party activities and misappropriation of campaign materials and logistics. The chapter had set up the committee chaired by Mr Bolaji Abass to investigate the allegations contained in a petition written against Banire by two members of the party in the area, Mr Olukayode…

Read More

Liverpool have opened talks with Arsenal over a move for utility player Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain. The 24-year-old England international rejected a move to Chelsea on Tuesday after a £40m fee was agreed. Oxlade-Chamberlain sees his future as a central midfielder and feels he is more likely to get that chance at Anfield. It remains to be seen whether Liverpool are prepared to match Chelsea’s offer for a player who would be available on a free transfer next summer. READ: Allianz buys Nigerian insurer Ensure Insurance Oxlade-Chamberlain has started each of Arsenal’s four games so far this season despite telling manager Arsene…

Read More
Senator Andrew Uchendu says Rivers citizens should be ready to claim their state back

The senator-elect representing Rivers East Senatorial District, Chief Andrew Uchendu, has said that he will pay Governor Nyesom Wike of Rivers State a courtesy visit. Uchendu said his courtesy visit is part of efforts to bring about reconciliation, peace and development in Rivers State. Speaking to a group of journalists shortly after receiving his Certificate of Return for Member of the Senate, from the Independent National Electoral Commision, INEC, Chief Uchendu promised Nigerians that he will do all that he can to broker lasting peace in the State. “I am telling Nigerians that I will do all that is possible…

Read More

President Muhammadu Buhari has received members of the national female basketball team, D’Tigress, few days after they won the African title. The reception was before the Federal Executive Council meeting, the first that the President attended since his return two weeks ago from medical vacation in London. READ: Kieran Gibbs bids emotional farewall to Arsenal, thanks Wenger Buhari praised the team for its achievements and also announced cash donation of N1m each for the players and N500,000 each for the officials. Earlier today, President Buhari chaired his first cabinet meeting since returning from sick leave in Britain this month. Buhari…

Read More
Over two million pilgrims will start Hajj in Mecca today Muslims

Saudi Arabia on Wednesday officially started the Hajj pilgrimage in 2017 with more than 2 million pilgrims, including 1.8 million foreigners, expected to participate. Hajj is the most important ritual among Muslims in the world, as almost all Muslims should perform it at least once in a lifetime, if they have the means to do so. The Hajj-related worship will continue until next week. A day earlier, Saudi Arabia announced tight security during the Hajj season, as it banned over 400,000 illegal pilgrims from entering Mecca, the holiest city for Muslims, for not having Hajj permits. READ: Notorious kidnapper Evans…

Read More
Allianz is one of Europe's biggest insurer REUTERS Unrest, strikes, protests Africa

Germany’s Allianz said on Wednesday it is buying control of Nigerian insurer Ensure Insurance Plc in a push for growth in Africa, where many people are uninsured. Foreign insurers are banking on growing premiums as the continent develops its infrastructure and a consumer class demands protection from risk. Allianz said in statement that it would acquire a 98 percent stake in Ensure Insurance from UK-based holding company Greenoaks Global Holdings. It did not disclose the acquisition value. Ensure Insurance offers life and non-life insurance to businesses and retail clients. It generated 11 million euros ($13 million) in gross premiums written…

Read More

Kieran Gibbs has thanked Arsene Wenger for giving him the chance to fulfil his dream as a footballer in an emotional farewell post on social media. Gibbs who signed a four-year deal with West Bromwich Albion thanked Arsenal for the amazing journey and said he was looking forward to a new challenge with the Midlands club. “It has been an amazing journey to play for my childhood club since I was 14. READ: Everton reject £25m bid from Chelsea for Ross Barkley “I would like to thank Arsene Wenger for giving me the chance to start my career and fulfil…

Read More

Suspected kidnap kingpin, Chukwudumeme Onwuamadike, a.k.a Evans and five others were sent to the Kirikiri Prisons on Wednesday by an Ikeja High Court judge in Lagos. The News Agency of Nigeria (NAN) reports that Evans was arraigned alongside Uche Amadi, Ogechi Uchechukwu, Okwuchukwu Nwachukwy, Chilaka Ifeanyi and Victor Aduba on a two-count charge of conspiracy and kidnapping. Evans, Amadi and Nwachukwu pleaded guilty to the charges while Uchechukwu, the only female defendant, Ifeanyi and Aduba pleaded innocence of the offencest of the charges. READ: Buhari presides over FEC meeting in Abuja According to the prosecution led by Mr Adeniji Kazeem,…

Read More

England international defender Kieran Gibbs has joined West Bromwich Albion from Arsenal for an undisclosed fee and have signed a four-year deal. The 27-year-old left-back joins the Baggies on a four-year deal and has elected to wear the No. 3 shirt. Gibbs joins the Baggies after spending more than a decade at Arsenal – where he made over 200 appearances for the Gunners – and with ten England caps to his name. READ: Liverpool agree £148m for Coutinho, Arsenal reject £50m for Sanchez Gibbs said he is ready for a new challenge at Albion. “I watched the boys in the…

Read More