Close Menu
Chronicle NG
    Trending Stories
    DSS charges El-Rufai over interception of Ribadu’s phone conversation

    FG files charges against El-Rufai for intercepting Ribadu’s phone

    February 16, 2026
    US sanctions eight Nigerians over Boko Haram links

    US sanctions eight Nigerians over Boko Haram links

    February 16, 2026
    Protesters storm EFCC office demanding El-Rufai’s prosecution

    Protesters storm EFCC office demanding El-Rufai’s prosecution

    February 16, 2026
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    Trending
    • FG files charges against El-Rufai for intercepting Ribadu’s phone
    • US sanctions eight Nigerians over Boko Haram links
    • Protesters storm EFCC office demanding El-Rufai’s prosecution
    • BREAKING: DSS charges El-Rufai over interception of Ribadu’s phone conversation
    • Nigerians ‘paying for darkness’, Ajaero slams power sector reform as failure
    • US embassy, consulate in Nigeria observe Presidents’ Day
    • National Assembly moves to shift 2027 presidential poll to Feb13
    • Tinubu demands release of South Sudan VP Machar
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    Chronicle NGChronicle NG
    Subscribe
    Monday, February 16
    • News
      • Nigeria News
      • World News
      • Headlines News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Sport
    • Entertainment
    • Contact Us
    Chronicle NG

    VAR needs to be more consistent – UEFA

    Opalim LiftedBy Opalim LiftedApril 23, 2024No Comments3 Mins Read
    Facebook Twitter Telegram WhatsApp
    13 VAR mistakes in Premier League so far this season
    Video Assistant Referee (VAR) screen
    Facebook Twitter WhatsApp

    The UEFA Football Board has stated that VAR needs to become more “consistent, transparent, and understandable” for players, fans, and coaches.

    Former players and elite-level coaches led the board, which convened in Nyon, Switzerland, on Monday.

    It said that VAR should be used as a tool to help referees, and that “its interventions should not be perceived as a negative judgement on referees themselves.”

    “It is clear that not everything on the pitch may be seen by the referee,” the statement added.

    UEFA’s comments come after a controversial weekend for video assistant referees (VAR) in the Premier League.

    UEFA has already postponed Israel's qualifier against Switzerland to November 15

    Nottingham Forest have asked for the audio between officials from Sunday’s defeat at Everton to be released publicly, after they criticised VAR decisions on social media.

    The Premier League said it was “extremely disappointed” by Forest’s social media post, but it has led to more debate surrounding the technology.

    Coventry City also had a late goal ruled out for a marginal offside by VAR during their epic FA Cup semi-final against Manchester United on Sunday.

    Everton manager Sean Dyche said the process is “a good thing for the outcomes of games” but added that he understood some frustrations.

    “The idea of VAR was to tidy up as many decisions as possible, and statistically, it’s shown that it is doing that,” said Dyche.

    • VAR is a Luton fan, Forest protest loss at Everton

    “I appreciate that it can get in the way of things from a supporter’s point of view, but there has to be some form of getting these decisions right.”

    Wolverhampton Wanderers manager Gary O’Neil added: “The technology doesn’t seem to have cleared things up as we hoped it would.

    “I’ve always thought VAR would be a big benefit to the game, but maybe it hasn’t been as much of a benefit as I expected.”

    The board also called for an improvement in player behaviour towards referees and officials, and to reduce instances of diving and time-wasting.

    “The behaviour of players and coaches towards match officials in several recent instances has become a critical issue and does not contribute positively to the good image of the game,” the statement said.

    The Board came to the conclusion that coaches should lead by example and that mobbing of officials must end.

    They also called for a player-led campaign to discourage “situations of players faking injuries to gain an unfair advantage, waste time, and disrupt the flow of the game.”

    The meeting was chaired by UEFA football advisor and former Portugal player Luis Figo, and other representatives included Rafael Benitez, Rio Ferdinand, Jurgen Klinsmann, and Patrick Vieira.

    Share. Facebook Twitter Telegram WhatsApp

    Keep Reading

    Rayo Vallecano defeated Atlético Madrid 3-0 in Butarque, exposing Atlético's fragile lineup and lifting Rayo out of the relegation zone.

    Rayo Vallecano thrash Atlético Madrid 3-0 in LaLiga clash

    Arsenal beat Brighton to reach Carabao Cup quarter-finals

    Arsenal reach FA Cup fifth round after thrashing Wigan 4-0

    Liverpool thrash Brighton 3-0 in FA Cup clash

    Liverpool thrash Brighton 3-0 in FA Cup clash

    Real Madrid: Alonso says 'n o case with Vinicius' over El Clasico outburst

    Real Madrid top La Liga after 4-1 win over Sociedad

    Ronaldo becomes first active footballer to reach billionaire status

    Ronaldo scores in Al-Nassr return after boycott of matches

    Jeremy Doku put Manchester City ahead in the ninth minute of the match against Juventus

    Manchester City get 2-0 FA Cup win over Salford

    Subscribe to News

    Be the first to get the latest news updates from ChronicleNG about world, sports, politics etc

    DSS charges El-Rufai over interception of Ribadu’s phone conversation

    FG files charges against El-Rufai for intercepting Ribadu’s phone

    February 16, 2026
    US sanctions eight Nigerians over Boko Haram links

    US sanctions eight Nigerians over Boko Haram links

    February 16, 2026
    Protesters storm EFCC office demanding El-Rufai’s prosecution

    Protesters storm EFCC office demanding El-Rufai’s prosecution

    February 16, 2026
    DSS charges El-Rufai over interception of Ribadu’s phone conversation

    BREAKING: DSS charges El-Rufai over interception of Ribadu’s phone conversation

    February 16, 2026
    Ajaero slams Nigeria power privatisation as failure

    Nigerians ‘paying for darkness’, Ajaero slams power sector reform as failure

    February 16, 2026
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    • Politics
    • News
    • Sports
    • Business
    • About Us
    © 2026 ChronicleNG

    Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.