Close Menu
Chronicle NG
    Trending Stories
    Health workers responding to Ebola outbreak in DR Congo Ituri province

    WHO declares DR Congo, Uganda Ebola outbreak global health emergency

    May 17, 2026
    Health workers responding to Ebola outbreak in DR Congo Ituri province

    65 dead as DR Congo confirms new Ebola outbreak

    May 17, 2026
    Packets of counterfeit Augmentin 625mg tablets flagged by NAFDAC over fake batch numbers and health risks in Nigeria.

    NAFDAC warns Nigerians over counterfeit Augmentin 625mg tablets

    May 17, 2026
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    Trending
    • WHO declares DR Congo, Uganda Ebola outbreak global health emergency
    • 65 dead as DR Congo confirms new Ebola outbreak
    • NAFDAC warns Nigerians over counterfeit Augmentin 625mg tablets
    • Oyo shuts schools after students, principal abduction
    • Benue youths protest during APC primaries, reject political activities over killings
    • Bruno Fernandes equals assist record as Man United beat Forest 3-2
    • Frank Edoho laments, says ‘I don’t want to die because of a woman’
    • Chelsea appoint Alonso as new manager after turbulent season
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    Chronicle NGChronicle NG
    Subscribe
    Monday, May 18
    • News
      • Nigeria News
      • World News
      • Headlines News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Sport
    • Entertainment
    • Contact Us
    Chronicle NG

    6.4m earthquake kills 128 in Napel

    Vincent OsuwoBy Vincent OsuwoNovember 4, 2023No Comments3 Mins Read
    Facebook Twitter Telegram WhatsApp
    Nightclub roof collapses, kills 15 in Dominican Republic
    Facebook Twitter WhatsApp

    No fewer than 128 people were killed and dozens injured in Nepal when a strong earthquake struck the western area of Jajarkot, officials said on Saturday, as houses in the area collapsed and buildings as far as New Delhi in neighbouring India shook.

    The magnitude-6.4 quake struck at 11:47 p.m. (1802 GMT) on Friday, according to Nepal’s National Seismological Centre. The quake was estimated at 5.7 by the German Research Centre for Geosciences, down from 6.2 by the US Geological Survey.

    The quake is the deadliest since 2015, when two earthquakes in the Himalayan country killed almost 9,000 people. The destruction of entire cities, centuries-old temples, and other historic sites, as well as more than a million residences, cost the economy $6 billion.

    Officials were concerned that the death toll from Friday’s earthquake might climb because they had been unable to establish contact in the steep area around the epicentre, some 500 kilometres (300 miles) west of Kathmandu, where tremors were also reported. The district has a population of 190,000 people, with communities scattered over the hills.

    “The number of injured could be in the hundreds, and the deaths could go up as well,” Jajarkot district official Harish Chandra Sharma told Reuters by phone.

    According to Kuber Kadayat, a police official, 92 people were killed in Jajarkot and 36 in the adjoining Rukum West district, both in Karnali province. Ramidanda village served as the epicentre.

    An official in the prime minister’s office stated at least 85 people were injured in Rukum West and 55 in Jajarkot, while Sharma said at least 50 people were hospitalized in Jajarkot alone.

    “Many houses have collapsed; many others have developed cracks. Thousands of residents spent the entire night on cold, open grounds because they were too scared to go into the cracked houses as aftershocks struck,” Sharma said. “I have not been able to go in.”

    • 5.7m earthquake hits Philippines

    To reach the affected districts, search and rescue teams must remove roads obstructed by landslides caused by the earthquake, according to police official Namaraj Bhattarai.

    According to his office, Prime Minister Pushpa Kamal Dahal rushed to the area early Saturday with a 16-member army medical team to oversee search, rescue, and relief efforts.

    Dahal expressed deep grief for the loss of life and property in the quake in a post on the X social media platform and directed security authorities to initiate rapid rescue and relief operations.

    Local television images showed the crumbling façade of multi-story brick residences, as well as massive pieces of furniture scattered about. As some buildings were evacuated, videos on X showed people dashing into the street.

    “Houses have collapsed. People rushed out of their homes. I am out in the crowd of terrified residents. We are trying to find details of the damage,” police official Santosh Rokka said by phone.

    Share. Facebook Twitter Telegram WhatsApp

    Keep Reading

    Health workers responding to Ebola outbreak in DR Congo Ituri province

    WHO declares DR Congo, Uganda Ebola outbreak global health emergency

    Health workers responding to Ebola outbreak in DR Congo Ituri province

    65 dead as DR Congo confirms new Ebola outbreak

    Packets of counterfeit Augmentin 625mg tablets flagged by NAFDAC over fake batch numbers and health risks in Nigeria.

    NAFDAC warns Nigerians over counterfeit Augmentin 625mg tablets

    Security concerns rise in Oyo communities as schools shut following student abduction in Oriire LGA.

    Oyo shuts schools after students, principal abduction

    Benue: Protesting Plateau women destroy military checkpoints over killings

    Benue youths protest during APC primaries, reject political activities over killings

    Frank Edoho, ex-wife fight dirty over infidelity, divorce

    Frank Edoho laments, says ‘I don’t want to die because of a woman’

    Subscribe to News

    Be the first to get the latest news updates from ChronicleNG about world, sports, politics etc

    Health workers responding to Ebola outbreak in DR Congo Ituri province

    WHO declares DR Congo, Uganda Ebola outbreak global health emergency

    May 17, 2026
    Health workers responding to Ebola outbreak in DR Congo Ituri province

    65 dead as DR Congo confirms new Ebola outbreak

    May 17, 2026
    Packets of counterfeit Augmentin 625mg tablets flagged by NAFDAC over fake batch numbers and health risks in Nigeria.

    NAFDAC warns Nigerians over counterfeit Augmentin 625mg tablets

    May 17, 2026
    Security concerns rise in Oyo communities as schools shut following student abduction in Oriire LGA.

    Oyo shuts schools after students, principal abduction

    May 17, 2026
    Benue: Protesting Plateau women destroy military checkpoints over killings

    Benue youths protest during APC primaries, reject political activities over killings

    May 17, 2026
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    • Politics
    • News
    • Sports
    • Business
    • About Us
    © 2026 ChronicleNG

    Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.