Close Menu
Chronicle NG
    Trending Stories
    APC releases 2027 election timetable and nomination fees for presidential, governorship, and legislative aspirants

    APC primaries tear Benue apart, ‘results were allocated’ aggrieved members claim

    May 21, 2026
    ADC: APC will win 2027 elections convincingly - Yilwatda

    APC primaries most competitive in history – Yilwatda

    May 21, 2026
    Court fines lawyer N1m in suit seeking to stop Jonathan 2027 bid

    Goodluck Jonathan should stay out of 2027 race – Lamido

    May 21, 2026
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    Trending
    • APC primaries tear Benue apart, ‘results were allocated’ aggrieved members claim
    • APC primaries most competitive in history – Yilwatda
    • Goodluck Jonathan should stay out of 2027 race – Lamido
    • Fubara withdraws from Rivers APC governorship primary
    • Clinical Aston Villa outclass Freiburg to win Europa League
    • Shettima: People told Tinubu I wanted to kill him and become president
    • Dangote refinery IPO demand nears $2bn as Otedola commits $100m investment
    • Kwankwaso working for Tinubu’s re-election, Kano gov’s aide alleges
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    Chronicle NGChronicle NG
    Subscribe
    Thursday, May 21
    • News
      • Nigeria News
      • World News
      • Headlines News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Sport
    • Entertainment
    • Contact Us
    Chronicle NG

    54,000 evacuated in Italy as WWII bomb is defused

    Chronicle EditorBy Chronicle EditorDecember 15, 2019No Comments2 Mins Read
    Facebook Twitter Telegram WhatsApp
    Two thirds of Brindisi, southern Italy, were evacuated on Sunday morning
    Two thirds of Brindisi, southern Italy, were evacuated on Sunday morning
    Facebook Twitter WhatsApp

    Around 54,000 people were evacuated Sunday morning from the southern Italian city of Brindisi as experts worked to defuse a British World War II bomb.

    The 440-pound device, discovered on November 2 during works on a cinema, prompted the largest disposal operation ever seen in the country.

    Nearly two-thirds of the city’s residents – including 217 prisoners – have left the mile-wide blast radius, gas pipes within a half-mile have been cut off and even some air traffic has been suspended.

    More than 1,000 police officers and 250 volunteers were deployed to ensure the city was cleared and close the access gates to prevent anyone coming in.

    At around 6.30am mayor Riccardo Rossi sat alongside emergency service chiefs inside a ‘situation room’ where drone footage was relayed of the bomb disposal robot at work.

    READ ALSO: Lagos Taskforce Set To Remove Illegal Structures In Lekki

    Adding to the complications the explosive had been damaged last month when it was discovered by construction workers.

    Experts from the military and the fire brigade took around 40 minutes to extract the fuse from the historic war bomb.

    Sources from the fire brigade told local media that the bomb had been successfully defused and would take it to a local quarry tomorrow to blow it up. It is understood to contain around 40 pounds of TNT.

    The port city, a strategic gateway to the Adriatic on the heel of Italy, was bombed by the Allies before it was surrendered in 1943.

    A New York Times report from 1941 makes reference to ‘the heaviest casualties in any British air raid on the Italian peninsula since Italy declared war,’ with 120 killed or wounded in the Friday night swoop.

    The city was secretly offered by the Italians along with the port city of Taranto and prompted Britain to launch Operation Slapstick, the invasion of Italy in September 1943.

    Culled

    Share. Facebook Twitter Telegram WhatsApp

    Keep Reading

    Health workers in protective gear responding to Ebola outbreak cases in the Democratic Republic of Congo.

    WHO fears Congo Ebola outbreak has spread beyond borders

    Health workers in protective gear responding to Ebola outbreak cases in the Democratic Republic of Congo.

    WHO declares DR Congo, Uganda Ebola outbreak global health emergency

    Health workers in protective gear responding to Ebola outbreak cases in the Democratic Republic of Congo.

    65 dead as DR Congo confirms new Ebola outbreak

    France arrests six over Palestinian flag on Eiffel Tower

    France arrests six over Palestinian flag on Eiffel Tower

    President Bola Tinubu speaking at a public event in Nigeria, representing federal government economic policy announcements.

    Tinubu hails Nigeria-US operation that killed ISIS commander Abu-Bilal Al-Manuki

    Peter Obi speaking during a political event while criticising President Bola Tinubu’s UK state visit.

    Obi criticises Tinubu UK trip over lack of economic gains

    Subscribe to News

    Be the first to get the latest news updates from ChronicleNG about world, sports, politics etc

    APC releases 2027 election timetable and nomination fees for presidential, governorship, and legislative aspirants

    APC primaries tear Benue apart, ‘results were allocated’ aggrieved members claim

    May 21, 2026
    ADC: APC will win 2027 elections convincingly - Yilwatda

    APC primaries most competitive in history – Yilwatda

    May 21, 2026
    Court fines lawyer N1m in suit seeking to stop Jonathan 2027 bid

    Goodluck Jonathan should stay out of 2027 race – Lamido

    May 21, 2026
    Governor Siminialayi Fubara has appointed a new chief of staff and also secretary to the Rivers State Government.

    Fubara withdraws from Rivers APC governorship primary

    May 21, 2026
    Aston Villa players celebrate after defeating Freiburg to win the Europa League final in Istanbul.

    Clinical Aston Villa outclass Freiburg to win Europa League

    May 21, 2026
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    • Politics
    • News
    • Sports
    • Business
    • About Us
    © 2026 ChronicleNG

    Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.