Close Menu
Chronicle NG
    Trending Stories
    Tinubu names Kayode Are as US ambassador-designate, three others 

    Tinubu signs amended 2026 Electoral Act into law

    February 18, 2026
    Newcastle cruise past Arsenal to reach Carabao Cup final

    UCL: Gordon scores four as Newcastle thrash Qarabag 6-1

    February 18, 2026
    Why major Nigerian banking in-app support fails users

    Why major Nigerian banking in-app support fails users

    February 18, 2026
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    Trending
    • Tinubu signs amended 2026 Electoral Act into law
    • UCL: Gordon scores four as Newcastle thrash Qarabag 6-1
    • Why major Nigerian banking in-app support fails users
    • GameZone Rebate Builds Trust Within Organized Play
    • Providus-Unity bank merger stalls over N4.8bn insider loans
    • Two killed, five injured in APC ward congress in Ondo
    • Gas leak in Plateau mine kills 37, others hospitalised
    • Kaduna ends El-Rufai’s ban, approves 50 Christians for pilgrimage
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    Chronicle NGChronicle NG
    Subscribe
    Thursday, February 19
    • News
      • Nigeria News
      • World News
      • Headlines News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Sport
    • Entertainment
    • Contact Us
    Chronicle NG

    Zimbabwe’s First lady loses $1.3million to fraudsters

    Chronicle EditorBy Chronicle EditorJanuary 11, 2017No Comments2 Mins Read
    Facebook Twitter Telegram WhatsApp
    President Emmerson Mnangagwa has accused Grace Mugabe faction of masterminding a blast near his rally in Bulawayo
    President Emmerson Mnangagwa has accused Grace Mugabe faction of masterminding a blast near his rally in Bulawayo
    Facebook Twitter WhatsApp

    Mrs Grace Mugabe

    The First Lady of Zimbabwe, Mrs Grace Mugabe, has lost $1.3 million to international fraudsters in a diamond ring deal.

    The wife of Robert Mugabe said on Wednesday after she ordered a diamond ring for her 20th wedding anniversary last year, Africa Review said.

    She made the admission in an affidavit filed at the High Court in Harare where she is challenging an order for her to return houses she allegedly seized from Jamal Ahmed after the diamond ring deal went sour last December.

    Mrs Mugabe, often mocked in Zimbabwe for her penchant for expensive tastes, said in April last year she was linked to Mr Ahmed by the businessman’s wife Zaine during a visit to Dubai.

    She said she subsequently tasked the businessman to get her a 10, 07 carat diamond that would have been used to manufacture the ring for her 20th wedding anniversary with the soon to be 93 year-old ruler.

    Mrs Mugabe transferred $1.3 million to Mr Ahmed’s account but he allegedly failed to deliver the diamond or the ring in time for the anniversary on August 17 last year.

    President Mugabe’s wife said she demanded her money back after it became clear that she had been duped.

    The businessman took the First Lady court in December last year accusing her of seizing his properties in Harare and threatening to harm him.

    However, Mrs Mugabe denied seizing the properties saying Mr Ahmed was being investigated by the police for his alleged international crimes. She said she was only trying to recover her money.

    “This was hard earned money saved over the years for this 2oth anniversary. I cannot keep quiet,” she said. “It’s a lot of sacrifice that my husband made from (our) farming and dairy business.”

    She claimed that the businessman had promised to pay back the money and was surprised when he turned to the courts.

    “The truth is that he spent the money,” she said in the court papers. “If he were honest, he should have refunded money rather than demonize me and my family.”

    The First Lady said Mr Ahmed had already paid back $120 000.

    Share. Facebook Twitter Telegram WhatsApp

    Keep Reading

    Tinubu names Kayode Are as US ambassador-designate, three others 

    Tinubu signs amended 2026 Electoral Act into law

    Newcastle cruise past Arsenal to reach Carabao Cup final

    UCL: Gordon scores four as Newcastle thrash Qarabag 6-1

    Why major Nigerian banking in-app support fails users

    Why major Nigerian banking in-app support fails users

    GameZone Rebate

    GameZone Rebate Builds Trust Within Organized Play

    Providus-Unity bank merger stalls over N4.8bn insider loans

    Providus-Unity bank merger stalls over N4.8bn insider loans

    Two killed, five injured in APC ward congress in Ondo

    Two killed, five injured in APC ward congress in Ondo

    Subscribe to News

    Be the first to get the latest news updates from ChronicleNG about world, sports, politics etc

    Tinubu names Kayode Are as US ambassador-designate, three others 

    Tinubu signs amended 2026 Electoral Act into law

    February 18, 2026
    Newcastle cruise past Arsenal to reach Carabao Cup final

    UCL: Gordon scores four as Newcastle thrash Qarabag 6-1

    February 18, 2026
    Why major Nigerian banking in-app support fails users

    Why major Nigerian banking in-app support fails users

    February 18, 2026
    GameZone Rebate

    GameZone Rebate Builds Trust Within Organized Play

    February 18, 2026
    Providus-Unity bank merger stalls over N4.8bn insider loans

    Providus-Unity bank merger stalls over N4.8bn insider loans

    February 18, 2026
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    • Politics
    • News
    • Sports
    • Business
    • About Us
    © 2026 ChronicleNG

    Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.