Close Menu
Chronicle NG
    Trending Stories
    El-Rufai court bail hearing in Abuja with strict DSS reporting and surety conditions outlined by the Federal High Court.

    Court orders El-Rufai to report to DSS monthly

    May 18, 2026
    Land-grabbing thugs popularly called "Omo Onile" have demolished over 50 buildings in the Surulere community of Lagos State.

    Political thugs disrupt Ondo APC primary collation

    May 18, 2026
    Senate : SERAP demands Akpabio publish names in N200tn NNPCL probe

    Akpabio emerges APC senatorial candidate for Akwa Ibom north west

    May 18, 2026
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    Trending
    • Court orders El-Rufai to report to DSS monthly
    • Political thugs disrupt Ondo APC primary collation
    • Akpabio emerges APC senatorial candidate for Akwa Ibom north west
    • El-Rufai: Family kicks as DSS picks ex-gov after court grants bail
    • Yahaya Bello wins APC Kogi central senate primary
    • Fire outbreak razes Abuja national hospital
    • Robert Lewandowski to leave Barcelona at end of season
    • Dani Carvajal leaves Real Madrid after 23 years
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    Chronicle NGChronicle NG
    Subscribe
    Tuesday, May 19
    • News
      • Nigeria News
      • World News
      • Headlines News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Sport
    • Entertainment
    • Contact Us
    Chronicle NG

    2023 Women’s World Cup: Gunman kills two hours before opening game in Auckland

    Opalim LiftedBy Opalim LiftedJuly 20, 2023No Comments5 Mins Read
    Facebook Twitter Telegram WhatsApp
    Two killed and six injured in Auckland at the FIFA Women's World Cup city venue 
    Two killed and six injured in Auckland at the FIFA Women's World Cup city venue 
    Facebook Twitter WhatsApp

    Two people were killed in a shooting in Auckland, New Zealand, only hours before the start of the FIFA Women’s World Cup.

    The city of Auckland was about to host the first match of the Women’s World Cup when it awoke to news of a terrible shooting, casting a shadow over what was intended to be a day of celebration.

    The event occurred in the heart of New Zealand’s largest city, near a fan park where hundreds of football fans were expected to congregate.

    Fifa said it had been informed that it was an isolated incident and that Thursday’s match between New Zealand and Norway at Eden Park would go ahead as planned.

    People have travelled to the city from across the globe for the start of the World Cup, which has been labelled the biggest women’s sports event ever to be staged.

    Six other people, including police officers, were injured, and the gunman is also dead after the incident at 07:22 (19:22 GMT) on a construction site in the central business district.

    PM Chris Hipkins said the attack was not being seen as an act of terrorism.

    The tournament would go ahead as planned, he said.

    The public, he added, could be assured that police had neutralized the threat and there was no ongoing risk after the incident on Queen Street.

    No political or ideological motive for the attack had been identified, the prime minister said.

    The gunman, he said, had been armed with a pump-action shotgun.

    Mr. Hipkins thanked “the brave men and women of the New Zealand police who ran into the gunfire, straight into harm’s way, in order to save the lives of others”.

    “These kinds of situations move fast, and the actions of those who risk their lives to save others are nothing short of heroic,” he added.

    According to Auckland Mayor Wayne Brown, all FIFA personnel and football teams are safe and have been accounted for.

    “I can’t remember anything like this ever happening in our beautiful city. This morning’s events have been tragic and distressing for all Aucklanders, as this is not something that we are used to,” Mr. Brown said on Twitter.

    • FIFA gives away 20,000 free Women’s World Cup tickets

    Fifa expressed its “deepest condolences” to the victims’ families and said it was in communication with New Zealand authorities.

    “The participating teams in close proximity to this incident are being supported in relation to any impact that may have taken place,” it said.

    The opening match is to be held between New Zealand and Norway in the city’s Eden Park.

    Sport Minister Grant Robertson said there would be extra police in the area to provide reassurance.

    The ninth Women’s World Cup is being co-hosted by New Zealand and Australia.

    Earlier, the mayor warned people to stay home and avoid travelling into the city. Mr. Brown said it was a “dreadful thing to happen” in his city.

    Police say they heard reports of a person discharging a firearm inside the construction site, and the gunman moved through the building and continued to fire.

    The man then went into a lift shaft, and police attempted to engage with him.

    Further shots were fired by the man, and he was found dead a short time later, police say.

    Following the shooting, there was a large armed police presence in the central business district, not far from the waterfront and the fan park.

    Tatjana Haenni, chief sporting director for the National Women’s Soccer League USA, is staying close to where the shooting happened.

    She told BBC News she had woken up to the sounds of police cars arriving and was told to stay inside. “So far, we feel safe,” she said.

    Jacob Johnson, a reporter for 1 News in Auckland, told BBC Sport: “The fact it has happened on the day that was meant to be a huge celebration for New Zealand is just gobsmacking.

    “The Women’s World Cup was supposed to be a huge win for women’s sport.

    “In New Zealand, it is something we are really trying to push. It’s such a shame that something like this will probably dominate the headlines for days.

    “The Women’s World Cup has been years in the making. I hope organisers are not going to completely let this overshadow the event.

    The Women’s World Cup is a really big deal for New Zealand.”

    A record 32 teams are taking part in the tournament in Australia and New Zealand over the next four weeks.

    Auckland is hosting nine of the 64 games.

    “It is the biggest sporting event New Zealand has ever hosted,” added Auckland-based reporter Johnson. “We had our breakfast crews down at the fan zone this morning.

    “There were excited fans and children. It’s just across the road from where this horrible incident took place.”

    Among those visiting the city for the tournament is Sonia Orvaz, who has travelled to Auckland from California to support the four-time world champion United States.

    “It’s sad when this sort of thing happens,” she said. “This will obviously overshadow the start of the tournament, which is very unfortunate.

    “It just makes me a little bit sad for Auckland. They’ve waited years for this.”

    A Canada fan, Cherry Andrews, had been on her way to the fan park when she was diverted because of the incident.

    “We didn’t know what was going on,” she said.

    “Hopefully it is not going to deter people from enjoying the Women’s World Cup, which is why we are all here in the first place.”

    Share. Facebook Twitter Telegram WhatsApp

    Keep Reading

    Lewandowski shines as Barcelona crush Dortmund in UEFA Champions League showdown

    Robert Lewandowski to leave Barcelona at end of season

    Dani Carvajal

    Dani Carvajal leaves Real Madrid after 23 years

    Mourinho to return as Real Madrid coach after unbeaten run at Benfica

    Mourinho agrees Real Madrid return

    Mourinho to return as Real Madrid coach after unbeaten run at Benfica

    Mourinho to return as Real Madrid coach after unbeaten run at Benfica

    Health workers responding to Ebola outbreak in DR Congo Ituri province

    WHO declares DR Congo, Uganda Ebola outbreak global health emergency

    Health workers responding to Ebola outbreak in DR Congo Ituri province

    65 dead as DR Congo confirms new Ebola outbreak

    Subscribe to News

    Be the first to get the latest news updates from ChronicleNG about world, sports, politics etc

    El-Rufai court bail hearing in Abuja with strict DSS reporting and surety conditions outlined by the Federal High Court.

    Court orders El-Rufai to report to DSS monthly

    May 18, 2026
    Land-grabbing thugs popularly called "Omo Onile" have demolished over 50 buildings in the Surulere community of Lagos State.

    Political thugs disrupt Ondo APC primary collation

    May 18, 2026
    Senate : SERAP demands Akpabio publish names in N200tn NNPCL probe

    Akpabio emerges APC senatorial candidate for Akwa Ibom north west

    May 18, 2026
    Peter Obi has expressed condolences to former Kaduna State governor Mallam Nasir El-Rufai on the death of his mother, Hajiya Umma El-Rufai.

    El-Rufai: Family kicks as DSS picks ex-gov after court grants bail

    May 18, 2026
    Gunmen in military uniform attacked Yahaya Bello - Kogi Government

    Yahaya Bello wins APC Kogi central senate primary

    May 18, 2026
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    • Politics
    • News
    • Sports
    • Business
    • About Us
    © 2026 ChronicleNG

    Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.