Close Menu
Chronicle NG
    Trending Stories
    NDC shifts deadline for legislative, governorship forms to May 24

    NDC shifts deadline for legislative, governorship forms to May 24

    May 19, 2026
    Cristiano Ronaldo topped Ali Daei to be the highest goal scorer in men's football

    Ronaldo leads Portugal’s 2026 World Cup squad

    May 19, 2026
    Arsenal players celebrate winning the Premier League title after Manchester City drew with Bournemouth.

    Arsenal win first EPL title in 22 years after Man City slip at Bournemouth

    May 19, 2026
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    Trending
    • NDC shifts deadline for legislative, governorship forms to May 24
    • Ronaldo leads Portugal’s 2026 World Cup squad
    • Arsenal win first EPL title in 22 years after Man City slip at Bournemouth
    • PDP grants Jonathan waiver, clears him for presidential race
    • Igboho expresses readiness to combat terrorists in south-west
    • Gowon reaffirms love for Nigeria in autobiography ‘My Life of Duty & Allegiance’
    • Ebola deaths in Congo rise to 131 amid outbreak
    • DHQ confirms over 20 terrorists killed in coordinated US-Nigeria operation
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    Chronicle NGChronicle NG
    Subscribe
    Wednesday, May 20
    • News
      • Nigeria News
      • World News
      • Headlines News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Sport
    • Entertainment
    • Contact Us
    Chronicle NG

    Trump says Biden won but refuses to concede

    Chronicle EditorBy Chronicle EditorNovember 16, 2020No Comments4 Mins Read
    Facebook Twitter Telegram WhatsApp
    Trump, Biden shake hands in White House, vow smooth transfer
    Facebook Twitter WhatsApp

    Donald Trump has insisted he is not conceding the US election, despite seemingly acknowledging for the first time that Democrat Joe Biden won.

    “He won because the Election was Rigged,” the Republican president wrote on Twitter, repeating unsubstantiated claims of election fraud.

    About an hour later he said he was not conceding the 3 November vote.

    He has launched a slew of lawsuits in key states, but has not provided any evidence to back his claims of fraud.

    All the lawsuits have so far been unsuccessful.

    On Friday, election officials said the vote was the “most secure in American history” and there was “no evidence that any voting system deleted or lost votes, changed votes or was in any way compromised”.

    Joe Biden is challenging President Donald Trump
    Joe Biden has announced a new White House taskforce

    Meanwhile, Mr Biden remains president-elect.

    The Democrat has 306 votes in the electoral college – the system the US uses to choose its president – which far exceeds the 270 threshold to win. Any recounts or legal challenges are not expected to overturn the overall result.

    • Trump breaks record for longest silence

    Mr Biden’s lead in the popular vote has also surpassed five million.

    Nevertheless, Mr Trump had refused to acknowledge Mr Biden’s victory until – apparently – now.

    In a news conference on Friday, Mr Trump said “who knows” which administration would be in power in the future.

    Lindsey Graham is among those backing giving Joe Biden briefings, but remains a Trump ally
    Republican senator, Lindsey Graham is among those backing giving Joe Biden briefings, but remains a Trump ally

    His refusal to concede has heightened concerns about the US government’s ability, going forward, to tackle growing Covid-19 infection rates.

    Twitter added warnings to Mr Trump’s latest allegations of wrongdoing on Sunday, saying: “This claim of election fraud is disputed.”

    The Trump campaign has launched a series of lawsuits saying Republican poll watchers were wrongly denied access to observe the counting of ballots in key battleground states.

    Election officials have denied this and insisted rules were followed. Most of the lawsuits have been dismissed over lack of evidence.

    However, thousands of Mr Trump’s supporters protested in Washington DC on Saturday to back his appeals.

    Flag-carrying demonstrators were joined by members of far-right groups including the Proud Boys, some wearing helmets and bullet-proof vests.

    The largely peaceful demonstration saw some violence later in the evening, as Trump supporters and counter-protesters clashed in several skirmishes.

    Officials said 20 people had been arrested on a variety of charges, including assault and weapons possession. One stabbing was reported. Two police officers were also injured.

    Mr Trump’s refusal to concede has stalled the normal handover process to the new government, ahead of the 20 January inauguration.

    The General Services Administration (GSA), the government agency tasked with beginning the process, has yet to recognise Mr Biden and his running mate Kamala Harris as winners.

    The Biden team have not been given access to classified security briefings, federal agencies and funding needed to ensure a smooth transition of power.

    Speaking to NBC on Sunday, Mr Biden’s chief of staff, Ron Klain, said the process needed to begin this week to allow the country to focus on tackling the coronavirus pandemic.

    The US is grappling with some of its worst Covid-19 infection rates since the pandemic began, with more than 180,000 new cases and 1,400 deaths on Friday. The country also has the highest number of infections and deaths in the world, with more than 10.9m cases since the pandemic began.

    “Joe Biden’s going to become president of the United States in the midst of an ongoing crisis,” said Mr Klain. “That has to be a seamless transition.”

    Leading US infectious diseases expert, Dr Anthony Fauci, echoed his comments, saying it would be better for public health if the transition began immediately.

    Mr Klain also dismissed Mr Trump’s latest conflicting comments on social media.

    “Donald Trump’s Twitter feed doesn’t make Joe Biden president or not president”, he said. “The American people did that.”

    Share. Facebook Twitter Telegram WhatsApp

    Keep Reading

    Nigerian troops during counter-terrorism operations in Borno State after the killing of ISIS commander Abu Bilal Al-Minuki.

    Nigeria denies US ground troop role in killing of ISIS leader Al-Minuki

    President Bola Tinubu speaking at a public event in Nigeria, representing federal government economic policy announcements.

    Tinubu hails Nigeria-US operation that killed ISIS commander Abu-Bilal Al-Manuki

    President Bola Tinubu and Rwandan President Paul Kagame during bilateral talks at the Africa CEO Forum in Kigali.

    Nigeria to adopt Rwanda-style 30-day visa-free policy for Africans

    US, Iran exchange fresh fire as Strait of Hormuz crisis deepens

    US, Iran exchange fresh fire as Strait of Hormuz crisis deepens

    Mock-up of a US commemorative passport featuring Donald Trump portrait and America250 anniversary design elements.

    US to revoke passports of parents owing over $2,500 in child support

    EFCC declares Timipre Sylva wanted

    Timipre Sylva: Court orders takeover of ex-gov’s properties

    Subscribe to News

    Be the first to get the latest news updates from ChronicleNG about world, sports, politics etc

    NDC shifts deadline for legislative, governorship forms to May 24

    NDC shifts deadline for legislative, governorship forms to May 24

    May 19, 2026
    Cristiano Ronaldo topped Ali Daei to be the highest goal scorer in men's football

    Ronaldo leads Portugal’s 2026 World Cup squad

    May 19, 2026
    Arsenal players celebrate winning the Premier League title after Manchester City drew with Bournemouth.

    Arsenal win first EPL title in 22 years after Man City slip at Bournemouth

    May 19, 2026
    Jonathan wins 2025 Sunhak Peace Prize

    PDP grants Jonathan waiver, clears him for presidential race

    May 19, 2026
    Sunday Igboho backs Kemi Badenoch, tells Shettima to focus on Nigeria’s 

    Igboho expresses readiness to combat terrorists in south-west

    May 19, 2026
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    • Politics
    • News
    • Sports
    • Business
    • About Us
    © 2026 ChronicleNG

    Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.