Close Menu
Chronicle NG
    Trending Stories
    Social network X restored global outage

    Social network X restored after global outage

    February 16, 2026
    Court to hear suit seeking to deregister ADC, 3 others

    Court to hear suit seeking to deregister ADC, 3 others

    February 16, 2026
    US freezes assets of eight Nigerians over Boko Haram, ISIL links

    US freezes assets of eight Nigerians over Boko Haram, ISIL links

    February 16, 2026
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    Trending
    • Social network X restored after global outage
    • Court to hear suit seeking to deregister ADC, 3 others
    • US freezes assets of eight Nigerians over Boko Haram, ISIL links
    • Jihadists kill seven Ghanaians in Burkina Faso attack
    • Tinubu lauds Adamawa gov for infrastructure projects
    • APC apologies for listing late army general, serving justice as stakeholders
    • Natasha in fresh clash at senate committee chairman’s office
    • Ramadan: EPL to pause matches so Muslim players can break fast
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    Chronicle NGChronicle NG
    Subscribe
    Tuesday, February 17
    • News
      • Nigeria News
      • World News
      • Headlines News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Sport
    • Entertainment
    • Contact Us
    Chronicle NG

    Rescuers, families search for train crash victims in India

    Opalim LiftedBy Opalim LiftedJune 4, 2023No Comments3 Mins Read
    Facebook Twitter Telegram WhatsApp
    People work at the scene of a train derailment after a devastating outbreak of tornadoes ripped through several US states in Earlington, Kentucky, US
    Facebook Twitter WhatsApp

    Rescuers and families combed amid crushed train carriage on Sunday for additional dead in India’s worst rail catastrophe in almost two decades, with signal failure emerging as the most likely reason.

    At least 275 people were killed on Friday when a passenger train collided with a halted goods train, skidded off the rails and collided with another passenger train travelling in the other way near the Balasore district of Odisha’s eastern state.

    According to Odisha Chief Secretary Pradeep Jena’s statement to ANI news agency, the death toll, which had previously been estimated at 288, was lowered down on Sunday when it was discovered that several bodies had been tallied twice.

    Five more bodies were brought to a school being used as a mortuary near the scene of the accident early on Sunday.

    “We do not know how many more bodies will come,” a health worker said.

    The state-run Indian Railways, which says it transports more than 13 million people every day, has been working to improve its patchy safety record because of ageing infrastructure.

    Prime Minister Narendra Modi, who faces an election due next year, visited the scene on Saturday to talk to rescue workers, inspect the wreckage, and meet some of the nearly 1,200 injured. “Those found guilty will be punished stringently,” Modi said.

    Preliminary Investigation

    A preliminary investigation has indicated that the Coromandel Express, heading to Chennai from Kolkata, moved out of the main track and entered a loop track—a side track used to park trains—at a speed of under 130 kph (81 mph) and crashed into a freight train that was parked on the loop track, a railway official said.

    The crash caused the engine and the first four or five coaches of the Coromandel Express to jump the tracks, topple, and hit the last two or three coaches of the Yeshwantpur-Howrah train heading in the opposite direction at around 115 kph at the same time on the second main track, the person said.

    This caused the Yeshwantpur-Howrah train to also jump the tracks, resulting in massive wreckage, said the source, who spoke on condition of anonymity as they are not authorised to speak to the media.

    The drivers of the two passenger trains were injured but survived the crash, the person said.

    Restoration Work

    Workers with heavy machinery were clearing the damaged track, wrecked trains, and electric cables as distraught relatives looked on.

    More than 1,000 people are involved in the rescue, the Railway Ministry said on Twitter.

    “The target is that by Wednesday morning the entire restoration work will be complete and the tracks should be working,” said Railway Minister Ashwini Vaishnaw.

    At a business centre where bodies are being taken for identification, dozens of relatives waited, many weeping and clutching identification cards and pictures of missing loved ones.

    Kanchan Choudhury, 49, was searching for her husband at the centre. Five people from her village were travelling on the train, of whom four were being treated at the hospital for injuries. However, her husband was found dead, Kanchan Choudhury told newsmen as she wept while waiting to claim compensation at a counter in the centre, carrying both her and her husband’s identity cards.

    Families of the dead will get 1 million rupees ($12,000) in compensation, while the seriously injured will get 200,000 rupees, with 50,000 rupees for minor injuries, Vaishnaw said on Saturday.

    U.S. President Joe Biden, Canadian Prime Minister Justin Trudeau, British Prime Minister Rishi Sunak, and French President Emmanuel Macron have expressed condolences.

    Share. Facebook Twitter Telegram WhatsApp

    Keep Reading

    Social network X restored global outage

    Social network X restored after global outage

    Court to hear suit seeking to deregister ADC, 3 others

    Court to hear suit seeking to deregister ADC, 3 others

    US freezes assets of eight Nigerians over Boko Haram, ISIL links

    US freezes assets of eight Nigerians over Boko Haram, ISIL links

    Jihadists kill seven Ghanaians in Burkina Faso attack

    Jihadists kill seven Ghanaians in Burkina Faso attack

    Emergency rule: Court to decide if Tinubu can remove elected officials March 9

    Tinubu lauds Adamawa gov for infrastructure projects

    APC apologies for listing late army general, serving justice as stakeholders

    APC apologies for listing late army general, serving justice as stakeholders

    Subscribe to News

    Be the first to get the latest news updates from ChronicleNG about world, sports, politics etc

    Social network X restored global outage

    Social network X restored after global outage

    February 16, 2026
    Court to hear suit seeking to deregister ADC, 3 others

    Court to hear suit seeking to deregister ADC, 3 others

    February 16, 2026
    US freezes assets of eight Nigerians over Boko Haram, ISIL links

    US freezes assets of eight Nigerians over Boko Haram, ISIL links

    February 16, 2026
    Jihadists kill seven Ghanaians in Burkina Faso attack

    Jihadists kill seven Ghanaians in Burkina Faso attack

    February 16, 2026
    Emergency rule: Court to decide if Tinubu can remove elected officials March 9

    Tinubu lauds Adamawa gov for infrastructure projects

    February 16, 2026
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    • Politics
    • News
    • Sports
    • Business
    • About Us
    © 2026 ChronicleNG

    Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.