Close Menu
Chronicle NG
    Trending Stories
    Southampton had been looking for an immediate return to the Premier League having been relegated at the end of the 2024-25 season

    FA opens Southampton investigation over Spygate

    May 21, 2026
    Health workers in protective gear responding to Ebola outbreak cases in the Democratic Republic of Congo.

    WHO approves $3.4m for Ebola response in DR Congo, Uganda as death toll hits 139

    May 21, 2026
    Police officer threatens to kill anyone who videos him on duty

    Police officer threatens to kill anyone who videos him on duty

    May 21, 2026
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    Trending
    • FA opens Southampton investigation over Spygate
    • WHO approves $3.4m for Ebola response in DR Congo, Uganda as death toll hits 139
    • Police officer threatens to kill anyone who videos him on duty
    • Tinubu appoints Segun Aina as new JAMB registrar
    • Tinubu: Fuel subsidy, forex cabals behind rising insecurity
    • NDLEA busts N480bn methamphetamine lab in Ogun, arrests three Mexicans
    • Big Wiz: Wizkid becomes first African artiste to reach 11bn Spotify streams
    • NLC warns ‘no community is safe anymore’ after Oyo abduction
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    Chronicle NGChronicle NG
    Subscribe
    Thursday, May 21
    • News
      • Nigeria News
      • World News
      • Headlines News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Sport
    • Entertainment
    • Contact Us
    Chronicle NG

    Sponsors of banditry are under investigation – DHQ

    Vincent OsuwoBy Vincent OsuwoSeptember 27, 2024No Comments4 Mins Read
    Facebook Twitter Telegram WhatsApp
    Bandits kill worker, abduct farmer in Kwara midnight raid
    Bandits riding motorcycles
    Facebook Twitter WhatsApp

    The Defence Headquarters (DHQ) said investigations are actively underway into allegations of banditry sponsorship in the North-West region.

    Maj. Gen. Edward Buba, DHQ’s Director of Media Operations, confirmed this at a press briefing in Abuja on Thursday, stating that relevant authorities assigned with such responsibilities were thoroughly reviewing the situation.

    The development follows accusations and counter-accusations over banditry sponsorship by the Minister of State for Defence and immediate past governor of Zamfara, Bello Matawalle, and his successor, Dauda Lawal.

    • Matawalle denies allegations of terrorist ties in Bello Turji viral video

    On Tuesday, Matawalle challenged Lawal to swear by the Holy Qur’an that he was not involved in the sponsoring of bandits.

    Lawal responded by promising to produce evidence against the minister, noting that he had also reported the matter to the National Security Adviser and President Bola Tinubu.

    When asked about the military’s role in the claims against the two influential Nigerians, DHQ spokesperson Buba stated that the subject was being investigated.

    “When you talk about what’s going on about the sponsors, I can assure you that the relevant agencies that are saddled with that responsibility are doing a good job. And sooner than later, you will hear some announcements in that regard,” he said.

    Regardless, Buba stated that the military was committed to winning the war against bandits and eradicating their fighting spirit.

    He said, “Winning a war is destroying the enemy’s will to fight. When you destroy the enemy’s will to fight, the war is over; you have won the war. And that’s why we are focused on destroying the enemy’s will to fight.”

    Buba stated that between July and September 2024, the troops killed 1,937 terrorists, including 65 major insurgency leaders.

    Meanwhile, on Thursday, the Tinubu Youth Network, a support organisation inside the ruling All Progressives Congress, urged that Matawalle resign as Minister of State for Defence.

    Addressing a news conference in Kaduna on Thursday, TYN Secretary General Yusuf Muhammad stated that the allegations against Matawalle were too serious to ignore and that they were detrimental to the APC’s image.

    “We want a thorough investigation to clear Matawalle’s name and uphold our party’s integrity. Association with individuals responsible for heinous crimes undermines our party’s values and the President’s anti-corruption agenda,” Muhammad said.

    He stated that loyalty to the President should not be a reason to shield Matawalle from investigation, arguing that “loyalty should not supersede accountability. We urge Matawalle to step down and subject himself to a thorough investigation.

    “The Tinubu Youth Network is compelled to make a public appeal after several unsuccessful attempts to contact the leaders of our ruling party, the APC, regarding the allegations made by the current Governor of Zamfara State, Dauda Lawal, against his predecessor and now the Minister of State for Defence, Bello Matawalle.

    “A series of interviews granted on national television have gone viral. In these interviews, the Zamfara State Governor, Dauda Lawal, raised grave concerns about the issues he inherited upon assuming office. These issues include the accusation of sponsoring bandits and misappropriation of state funds by his predecessor and the junior Defence Minister, Bello Matawalle.

    “These are serious matters that strike at the heart of governance, security, and the welfare of the people of Zamfara State and should not be handled lightly.

    “We consider it our responsibility as youth to seek a thorough investigation into these serious claims to uphold the integrity of our party and our esteemed leader, the President. Failing to address these issues could hurt our party in the future.

    “We want to emphasise that the issues at stake here are not just political problems; they encompass matters of life and death, economic survival, and the fundamental human rights of the citizens of Zamfara State, the North-West, and Nigeria as a whole.

    “This is why we are urging our esteemed leader, the President, to launch an investigation into the numerous allegations levelled against the state minister for defence, Bello Matawalle.”

    Attempts to contact Matawalle on Thursday were futile, as multiple calls to his aide, Ahmad Dan-Wudil, went unanswered. He had also yet to respond to a message addressed to him at the time of filing this article.

    Share. Facebook Twitter Telegram WhatsApp

    Keep Reading

    Health workers in protective gear responding to Ebola outbreak cases in the Democratic Republic of Congo.

    WHO approves $3.4m for Ebola response in DR Congo, Uganda as death toll hits 139

    Police officer threatens to kill anyone who videos him on duty

    Police officer threatens to kill anyone who videos him on duty

    Tinubu appoints Segun Aina as new JAMB registrar

    Tinubu appoints Segun Aina as new JAMB registrar

    President Bola Tinubu speaking at a public event in Nigeria, representing federal government economic policy announcements.

    Tinubu: Fuel subsidy, forex cabals behind rising insecurity

    NDLEA operatives at a clandestine methamphetamine laboratory uncovered in Ogun forest with seized chemical substances and suspects.

    NDLEA busts N480bn methamphetamine lab in Ogun, arrests three Mexicans

    NLC warns ‘no community is safe anymore’ after Oyo abduction

    NLC warns ‘no community is safe anymore’ after Oyo abduction

    Subscribe to News

    Be the first to get the latest news updates from ChronicleNG about world, sports, politics etc

    Southampton had been looking for an immediate return to the Premier League having been relegated at the end of the 2024-25 season

    FA opens Southampton investigation over Spygate

    May 21, 2026
    Health workers in protective gear responding to Ebola outbreak cases in the Democratic Republic of Congo.

    WHO approves $3.4m for Ebola response in DR Congo, Uganda as death toll hits 139

    May 21, 2026
    Police officer threatens to kill anyone who videos him on duty

    Police officer threatens to kill anyone who videos him on duty

    May 21, 2026
    Tinubu appoints Segun Aina as new JAMB registrar

    Tinubu appoints Segun Aina as new JAMB registrar

    May 21, 2026
    President Bola Tinubu speaking at a public event in Nigeria, representing federal government economic policy announcements.

    Tinubu: Fuel subsidy, forex cabals behind rising insecurity

    May 21, 2026
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    • Politics
    • News
    • Sports
    • Business
    • About Us
    © 2026 ChronicleNG

    Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.