Close Menu
Chronicle NG
    Trending Stories
    Former Vice President Atiku Abubakar criticising Nigeria’s response to xenophobic attacks against Nigerians in South Africa.

    ‘Shamed into action’, Atiku slams FG’s response to South Africa xenophobic attacks

    May 18, 2026
    Health workers responding to Ebola outbreak in DR Congo Ituri province

    WHO declares DR Congo, Uganda Ebola outbreak global health emergency

    May 17, 2026
    Health workers responding to Ebola outbreak in DR Congo Ituri province

    65 dead as DR Congo confirms new Ebola outbreak

    May 17, 2026
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    Trending
    • ‘Shamed into action’, Atiku slams FG’s response to South Africa xenophobic attacks
    • WHO declares DR Congo, Uganda Ebola outbreak global health emergency
    • 65 dead as DR Congo confirms new Ebola outbreak
    • NAFDAC warns Nigerians over counterfeit Augmentin 625mg tablets
    • Oyo shuts schools after students, principal abduction
    • Benue youths protest during APC primaries, reject political activities over killings
    • Bruno Fernandes equals assist record as Man United beat Forest 3-2
    • Frank Edoho laments, says ‘I don’t want to die because of a woman’
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    Chronicle NGChronicle NG
    Subscribe
    Monday, May 18
    • News
      • Nigeria News
      • World News
      • Headlines News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Sport
    • Entertainment
    • Contact Us
    Chronicle NG

    Soldiers storm Banex after traders clash with colleagues in Abuja

    Opalim LiftedBy Opalim LiftedMay 19, 2024No Comments3 Mins Read
    Facebook Twitter Telegram WhatsApp
    Army shuts down Banex Plaza over assault on soldiers
    Banex Plaza in Abuja
    Facebook Twitter WhatsApp

    Personnel of the Nigerian Army Corps of Military Police stormed Banex Plaza in Abuja on Saturday, beating passersby and manning guards.

    The assault on civilians was a reprisal for an earlier free-for-all that broke out between four military police personnel and some traders at the popular electronics and telecommunications gadget market on Saturday.

    The soldiers’ attacks on civilians and show-of-force by the military police came a few hours after the FCT Commissioner of Police, Bennet Igweh, settled the scuffle between the soldiers and the traders at the police command.

    Sources who pleaded anonymity because they were not authorised to speak told our correspondent that FCT Police Command operatives had previously arrested the four MP soldiers along with the traders involved in the fight.

    The matter was settled, and the military Police soldiers were later handed over to the military authorities.

    A source said, “The four military police soldiers and the traders involved in the fight that broke out at Banex were earlier brought to the FCT Police Command, and the CP settled the matter and handed over the soldiers to the military.”

    Videos circulating on social media revealed that some soldiers stormed Banex Plaza following the earlier scuffle.

    One of the videos revealed citizens and traders running as some soldiers arrived at the scene. Another video showed the soldiers punishing some individuals.

    Meanwhile, a trader who simply identified himself as Abdul had earlier told our correspondent on Saturday that the conflict ensued over the sale of a mobile phone.

    “There’s a problem at Banex now. Some soldiers came to complain about a phone, and during an argument with the traders, a fight ensued,” Abdul simply revealed.

    Confirming the development, the FCT Police Command, in a statement by its spokesperson, Josephine Adeh, on Saturday night, said the police had restored peace in the affected area.

    Adeh said, “Following reported unrest at Banex Plaza today, May 18, 2024, at about 1.30 p.m., involving some occupants of the plaza, customers, and some soldiers, operatives of the FCT police command swiftly mobilised to the scene, assessed the situation, and restored order.

    “Preliminary investigation revealed that one Suleiman Ahmed, who had earlier gotten a phone from one Suleiman Ibrahim, a shop owner at New Banex, went with four soldiers to persuade the seller for a replacement upon discovering that the phone was faulty, which met the resistance of the shop owner.

    “This action resulted in a confrontation and squabble with the military personnel. This development led some irate mobs to attack the military personnel, which led to an uproar in the area.

    “All parties were invited for questioning, and the military personnel have been handed over to their organisation for necessary action to be taken.

    “While normalcy has since been restored in Banex and its environs, the Commissioner of Police FCT, Benneth Igweh, urges residents to peacefully go about their lawful businesses without fear from any quarters,”  Punch News reported.

    Share. Facebook Twitter Telegram WhatsApp

    Keep Reading

    Former Vice President Atiku Abubakar criticising Nigeria’s response to xenophobic attacks against Nigerians in South Africa.

    ‘Shamed into action’, Atiku slams FG’s response to South Africa xenophobic attacks

    Health workers responding to Ebola outbreak in DR Congo Ituri province

    WHO declares DR Congo, Uganda Ebola outbreak global health emergency

    Health workers responding to Ebola outbreak in DR Congo Ituri province

    65 dead as DR Congo confirms new Ebola outbreak

    Packets of counterfeit Augmentin 625mg tablets flagged by NAFDAC over fake batch numbers and health risks in Nigeria.

    NAFDAC warns Nigerians over counterfeit Augmentin 625mg tablets

    Security concerns rise in Oyo communities as schools shut following student abduction in Oriire LGA.

    Oyo shuts schools after students, principal abduction

    Benue: Protesting Plateau women destroy military checkpoints over killings

    Benue youths protest during APC primaries, reject political activities over killings

    Subscribe to News

    Be the first to get the latest news updates from ChronicleNG about world, sports, politics etc

    Former Vice President Atiku Abubakar criticising Nigeria’s response to xenophobic attacks against Nigerians in South Africa.

    ‘Shamed into action’, Atiku slams FG’s response to South Africa xenophobic attacks

    May 18, 2026
    Health workers responding to Ebola outbreak in DR Congo Ituri province

    WHO declares DR Congo, Uganda Ebola outbreak global health emergency

    May 17, 2026
    Health workers responding to Ebola outbreak in DR Congo Ituri province

    65 dead as DR Congo confirms new Ebola outbreak

    May 17, 2026
    Packets of counterfeit Augmentin 625mg tablets flagged by NAFDAC over fake batch numbers and health risks in Nigeria.

    NAFDAC warns Nigerians over counterfeit Augmentin 625mg tablets

    May 17, 2026
    Security concerns rise in Oyo communities as schools shut following student abduction in Oriire LGA.

    Oyo shuts schools after students, principal abduction

    May 17, 2026
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    • Politics
    • News
    • Sports
    • Business
    • About Us
    © 2026 ChronicleNG

    Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.