Close Menu
Chronicle NG
    Trending Stories
    Oyo police deny reports of a bandit attack in Ogbomoso, saying panic was triggered by false rumours and misinformation.

    Students flee Oyo schools as police dismiss terrorist attack rumours

    May 20, 2026
    Daniel Bwala said that Peter Obi's success in the 2023 election, where he got over 6.1m votes, was largely due to religious discourse.

    Bwala urges Nigerians to defend themselves against terrorists

    May 20, 2026
    Kano gov Yusuf suspends loan vendors after N1.8bn Illegal salary deductions

    Kano govt announces Sallah break for primary, secondary schools

    May 20, 2026
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    Trending
    • Students flee Oyo schools as police dismiss terrorist attack rumours
    • Bwala urges Nigerians to defend themselves against terrorists
    • Kano govt announces Sallah break for primary, secondary schools
    • CBN retains 26.5% monetary policy rate
    • ASUU begins indefinite strike over welfare, agreement breach
    • Dowman makes history as youngest Premier League winner
    • Two-storey building collapses in Anambra
    • AEDC says prepaid meter bonus units are not free
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    Chronicle NGChronicle NG
    Subscribe
    Wednesday, May 20
    • News
      • Nigeria News
      • World News
      • Headlines News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Sport
    • Entertainment
    • Contact Us
    Chronicle NG

    Senate rejects all Buhari’s ambassadorial nominees

    Chronicle EditorBy Chronicle EditorNovember 15, 2016No Comments3 Mins Read
    Facebook Twitter Telegram WhatsApp
    Facebook Twitter WhatsApp
    Nigeria's Senate President, Bukola Saraki
    Nigeria’s Senate President, Bukola Saraki

    Nigeria’s Senate, on Tuesday, rejected the entire list of 46 non-career ambassador-nominees forwarded to it for confirmation in October by President Muhammadu Buhari.

    The Senate, however, confirmed the nomination of 47 career ambassadors forwarded to it by the President in July.

    The rejection of the 46 non-career nominees was based on a report submitted by the Chairman, Senate Committee on Foreign Affairs, Monsurat Sunmonu (APC-Oyo).

    Sunmonu said the imbalance of nominations observed in the list of career nominees was not corrected by the President in the non-career list.

    According to her, over 250 petitions were received by the committee from aggrieved Nigerians over the imbalance of nominations in the first list.

    Ebonyi, Bayelsa and Plateau had no nominees at all and was not addressed by the second list containing names of non-career nominees.

    “We thought that the issue of non-equitable representation across the 36 states of the federation raised on the list of nominated career diplomats by the President will be addressed in that of non-career nominees; unfortunately, this was not so,

    “This is in spite of public outcry over it and the committee’s observation to that effect to the Secretary to the Government of Federation, David Babachir Lawal during an interface with us before the screening.

    “Therefore, we’ve found it difficult to start the screening of the 46 non-career nominees since last month and in fact; we proposed to the Senate that the list be returned to the Executive for needed review and re-presentation”, she said.

    The approval and rejection through voice votes followed a motion moved by the Senate Leader, Mohammed Ndume.

    Notable names on the rejected list are former Sen. Olorunnimbe Mamora from Lagos State, retired Justice of the Supreme Court, George Oguntade (Lagos), Yusuf Tuggar (Bauchi), and immediate past Deputy Governor of Niger State, Ahmed Ibeto (Niger), whose nomination as a Minister was withdrawn by Buhari in October 2015.

    Former National Secretary of the defunct Action Congress of Nigeria, Usman Bugaje and former Deputy Governor of Plateau, Mrs Paullen Tallen, had earlier rejected their nominations.

    The Senate, in the 47 approved career nominees list, ignored observations made on 14 of them having less than 30 months left to stay in service and three others who could not recite National Anthem during screening.

    This was also in spite of submissions against their confirmations by Senators Peter Nwaoboshi (PDP-Delta) and the Senate Minority Leader, Godswill Akpabio.

    Senate President Bukola Saraki urged the 47 career Ambassadors-Designate, to be good ambassadors of the country where ever they were posted.

    The career ambassadors-designate include Obinna Chukwuemeka (Abia), Salisu Umaru (Adamawa), Inyan Udo-Iyang (Akwa Ibom), Okeke Vivian Nwanaku (Anambra), Liman Munir (Bauchi).

    Others are Ndem Jane Ada (Benue), Mohammed Hassan Hassan (Borno), Martin Young Cobham (Cross River), Janet Omoleegho Olisah (Delta) and Itegboje Sunday (Edo).

    Also on the list are Olatunde Adesesan (Ekiti), Lilian Ijeukwu Onoh (Enugu), Manaja Tulah Isa (Gombe), Ngozi Ukaeje (Imo) and Bello Kazaure Husseini (Jigawa), among others.

    Share. Facebook Twitter Telegram WhatsApp

    Keep Reading

    Oyo police deny reports of a bandit attack in Ogbomoso, saying panic was triggered by false rumours and misinformation.

    Students flee Oyo schools as police dismiss terrorist attack rumours

    Daniel Bwala said that Peter Obi's success in the 2023 election, where he got over 6.1m votes, was largely due to religious discourse.

    Bwala urges Nigerians to defend themselves against terrorists

    Kano gov Yusuf suspends loan vendors after N1.8bn Illegal salary deductions

    Kano govt announces Sallah break for primary, secondary schools

    The Central Bank of Nigeria (CBN) has instructed banks to complete a mandatory cybersecurity self-assessment within three weeks

    CBN retains 26.5% monetary policy rate

    FG ASUU agreement: 10 key things you need to know

    ASUU begins indefinite strike over welfare, agreement breach

    FILE PHOTO: An aerial view of a collapsed building in Lagos

    Two-storey building collapses in Anambra

    Subscribe to News

    Be the first to get the latest news updates from ChronicleNG about world, sports, politics etc

    Oyo police deny reports of a bandit attack in Ogbomoso, saying panic was triggered by false rumours and misinformation.

    Students flee Oyo schools as police dismiss terrorist attack rumours

    May 20, 2026
    Daniel Bwala said that Peter Obi's success in the 2023 election, where he got over 6.1m votes, was largely due to religious discourse.

    Bwala urges Nigerians to defend themselves against terrorists

    May 20, 2026
    Kano gov Yusuf suspends loan vendors after N1.8bn Illegal salary deductions

    Kano govt announces Sallah break for primary, secondary schools

    May 20, 2026
    The Central Bank of Nigeria (CBN) has instructed banks to complete a mandatory cybersecurity self-assessment within three weeks

    CBN retains 26.5% monetary policy rate

    May 20, 2026
    FG ASUU agreement: 10 key things you need to know

    ASUU begins indefinite strike over welfare, agreement breach

    May 20, 2026
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    • Politics
    • News
    • Sports
    • Business
    • About Us
    © 2026 ChronicleNG

    Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.