Close Menu
Chronicle NG
    Trending Stories
    Ronaldo scores brace as Al Nassr Saudi Pro League title

    Ronaldo scores brace as Al Nassr win Saudi Pro League title

    May 22, 2026
    Kwankwaso denies working for Tinubu and says Peter Obi is the best southern candidate for the 2027 election.

    Kwankwaso denies working for Tinubu, says only ‘foolish people’ would believe

    May 21, 2026
    Kingsley Chinda emerges Rivers APC governorship candidate

    Kingsley Chinda emerges Rivers APC governorship candidate

    May 21, 2026
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    Trending
    • Ronaldo scores brace as Al Nassr win Saudi Pro League title
    • Kwankwaso denies working for Tinubu, says only ‘foolish people’ would believe
    • Kingsley Chinda emerges Rivers APC governorship candidate
    • INEC chair demands arrest, prosecution of vote buyers
    • Yusuf’s aide says Kwankwaso working for Tinubu behind the scenes
    • Osimhen, Galatasaray teammates hosted by Turkish president
    • Maguire ‘shocked’ to miss Tuchel’s England World Cup squad
    • Sokoto: APC endorses Aliyu for second term
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    Chronicle NGChronicle NG
    Subscribe
    Friday, May 22
    • News
      • Nigeria News
      • World News
      • Headlines News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Sport
    • Entertainment
    • Contact Us
    Chronicle NG

    Protest in Peru demanding president Dina Boluarte to step down

    Opalim LiftedBy Opalim LiftedJanuary 13, 2023No Comments2 Mins Read
    Facebook Twitter Telegram WhatsApp
    Iraq suspended working permit of Sweden's Ericsson on Iraqi soil
    Iraq suspended working permit of Sweden's Ericsson on Iraqi soil
    Facebook Twitter WhatsApp

    Thousands took to the streets of Peru’s capital Lima on Thursday in a peaceful protest against the new government and president, after weeks of bloody clashes triggered by the ousting of former President Pedro Castillo left at least 42 dead.

    “Why are you turning your back on the people, there are so many deaths, for God’s sake, stop this massacre,” said protester Olga Espejo, calling on President Dina Boluarte, previously Castillo’s vice president, to resign.

    “Ms. Boluarte, they are using you,” she said.

    Protesters shouted “Dina asesina!” (Dina is a murderer) as they carried cardboard coffins, photos of the victims, and anti-government slogans down the streets of Lima in the capital’s first mass protest since New Year.

    The march, organized by trade unions and leftist groups, took place without incident. The clashes that started in early December mark Peru’s worst outbreak of violence in more than 20 years.

    • Peru’s ex-president shoots himself to avoid arrest

    While Thursday’s protest was underway, Labor Minister Eduardo Garcia announced his resignation on Twitter, saying the country needs an apology for the deaths and urged the government to recognize that “mistakes have been made that must be corrected.”

    Garcia said the situation could not wait until April 2024, when elections have been proposed, two years earlier than required

    The crisis has touched tourist hub Cusco, which again closed its airport on Thursday, and the country’s key mining sector, which saw a large copper mine struck by attackers and a tin mine shuttered in solidarity for the dead.

    Prime Minister Alberto Otarola said earlier on Thursday that Boluarte would not resign, citing constitutional requirements to consolidate the succession, “not because she does not want to.”

    “Leaving the presidency would open a very dangerous floodgate for anarchy and misrule,” he said.

    Peru’s top prosecutor’s office on Tuesday launched an inquiry against Boluarte and some top ministers. The same day, Peru’s Congress – which fiercely opposed leftist former leader Castillo – passed a vote of confidence in the new government

     

     

     

     

    Share. Facebook Twitter Telegram WhatsApp

    Keep Reading

    Kwankwaso denies working for Tinubu and says Peter Obi is the best southern candidate for the 2027 election.

    Kwankwaso denies working for Tinubu, says only ‘foolish people’ would believe

    Kingsley Chinda emerges Rivers APC governorship candidate

    Kingsley Chinda emerges Rivers APC governorship candidate

    INEC chairman, Prof. Joash Ojo Amupitan speaking on the need to arrest and prosecute vote buyers in Nigeria

    INEC chair demands arrest, prosecution of vote buyers

    Kwankwaso denies working for Tinubu and says Peter Obi is the best southern candidate for the 2027 election.

    Yusuf’s aide says Kwankwaso working for Tinubu behind the scenes

    Aliyu sacks all Sokoto educational authorities

    Sokoto: APC endorses Aliyu for second term

    Kano gov Yusuf suspends loan vendors after N1.8bn Illegal salary deductions

    Yusuf emerges APC consensus candidate for Kano gov poll

    Subscribe to News

    Be the first to get the latest news updates from ChronicleNG about world, sports, politics etc

    Ronaldo scores brace as Al Nassr Saudi Pro League title

    Ronaldo scores brace as Al Nassr win Saudi Pro League title

    May 22, 2026
    Kwankwaso denies working for Tinubu and says Peter Obi is the best southern candidate for the 2027 election.

    Kwankwaso denies working for Tinubu, says only ‘foolish people’ would believe

    May 21, 2026
    Kingsley Chinda emerges Rivers APC governorship candidate

    Kingsley Chinda emerges Rivers APC governorship candidate

    May 21, 2026
    INEC chairman, Prof. Joash Ojo Amupitan speaking on the need to arrest and prosecute vote buyers in Nigeria

    INEC chair demands arrest, prosecution of vote buyers

    May 21, 2026
    Kwankwaso denies working for Tinubu and says Peter Obi is the best southern candidate for the 2027 election.

    Yusuf’s aide says Kwankwaso working for Tinubu behind the scenes

    May 21, 2026
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    • Politics
    • News
    • Sports
    • Business
    • About Us
    © 2026 ChronicleNG

    Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.