Former Anambra State Governor Peter Obi brushed aside rumors on Tuesday that former President Goodluck Jonathan’s presidential ambitions in 2027 could be jeopardized.
Obi remarked after completing the party’s presidential screening session at the Nigeria Democratic Congress’ national secretariat in Abuja, which lasted more than two hours.
Obi responded to allegations that Jonathan may run for president in 2027 on the Peoples Democratic Party platform, saying he is indifferent about who would challenge him.
He said: “Actually, I’m not aware of that. But democracy is about people offering themselves for service and being voted for.
“I’m not in any way going around looking for who and who is contesting. I’m concentrating on how to build a better Nigeria,” he stated.
Obi noted that his focus remained on national unity, security, economic revival and the fight against corruption.
“This I will do by first uniting the country because it’s not a united country. We have to govern the country by the Constitution of Nigeria, which stipulates federal character and inclusivity. The country must be united. The country must be secure.
“We want to see mothers no longer fear when their children go to school or work. We also want a country where we can travel all over Nigeria without fear,” he said.
The former Labour Party presidential candidate referred to the lengthy screening process as “democracy in action,” saying that it represented the party’s dedication to due process and accountability.
“This is democracy in action because NDC chooses to do things properly. So when we say this is going to be screening, it has to be done right.
“Nigerians want to know whether you meet the stipulated constitutional qualifications and provide relevant documents to back them.
“This is the way to know whether everything you have said or declared is the truth and if you can answer questions posed about your commitment to building a united, secure, and prosperous Nigeria. That’s why the screening took over two hours,” he said.
Obi also denied claims that he had emerged as the party’s consensus presidential candidate after allegedly consulting party leaders.
“Although I bought the forms, I don’t know who else has bought. So until the party says I’m the only one who expressed interest, that’s it,” he said.
The former governor condemned worsening poverty and insecurity across the country, saying many Nigerians now struggle daily to survive.
“So many Nigerians today go to bed not knowing where the next meal will come from tomorrow. That must change.
“We must live in a country where people do not turn public assets and public wealth into private assets. Therefore, we must combat corruption to the point where it benefits everyone,” he stated.
He also berated politicians for focusing more on elections than governance.
“Politicians are preoccupied with the next election when Nigerians are dying. That must stop,” Obi added.
Earlier, Obi arrived at the NDC national secretariat in Abuja about 6:45 p.m. for the screening exercise, amid rising suspicion that he is the favorite for the party’s presidential ticket in the 2027 election.
Obi appeared in his customary black kaftan and headgear just after the screening committee chairman, Sam Egwu, entered the site. He was accompanied by Victor Umeh, the senator for Anambra Central.
The NDC had previously announced Egwu’s selection as chairman of its 17-member screening committee for presidential, gubernatorial, senatorial, and House of Representatives candidates.
According to a statement issued by the party’s National Secretary, Ikenna Morgan Enekweizu, the committee was set to be inaugurated Tuesday evening.
The panel also includes Buba Galadima, Ikeddy Isiguzo, Wole Adedayo, Udenta Udenta, and Henry Obaze.









