Close Menu
Chronicle NG
    Trending Stories
    SERAP asks Tinubu to probe N2.9bn missing funds in NIGCOMSAT, NNRA

    2027: Tinubu wins APC primary election in Gombe

    May 23, 2026
    Celtic extend league league with pulsating win over Rangers

    Celtic win Scottish Cup to complete double

    May 23, 2026
    Hull promoted to Premier League after 1-0 win over Middlesbrough

    Hull promoted to Premier League after 1-0 win over Middlesbrough

    May 23, 2026
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    Trending
    • 2027: Tinubu wins APC primary election in Gombe
    • Celtic win Scottish Cup to complete double
    • Hull promoted to Premier League after 1-0 win over Middlesbrough
    • Tinubu participates in APC primary, praises party’s democracy
    • INEC: We’ll review court verdict on 2027 election timetable before taking action
    • WHO loses member country as Argentina quits
    • 2027: Plateau gov wins APC governorship primaries
    • Obi denies running from Atiku ahead 2027 election
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    Chronicle NGChronicle NG
    Subscribe
    Saturday, May 23
    • News
      • Nigeria News
      • World News
      • Headlines News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Sport
    • Entertainment
    • Contact Us
    Chronicle NG

    Nigeria apologises over ‘Igbo king’ row in South Africa

    Opalim LiftedBy Opalim LiftedApril 2, 2026No Comments2 Mins Read
    Facebook Twitter Telegram WhatsApp
    Protesters burn vehicles and vandalise property during unrest in Eastern Cape over alleged Igbo leader coronation
    Protesters burn vehicles and vandalise property during unrest in South Africa
    Facebook Twitter WhatsApp

    The Nigerian High Commission in South Africa has apologised for the controversy surrounding the alleged coronation of an “Igbo king” in Eastern Cape Province.

    Solomon Eziko was reportedly crowned “Igwe” of Kugompo in South London, a city in the Eastern Cape.

    The celebration sparked outrage, which escalated into violent protests on Monday, as demonstrators torched vehicles and buildings reportedly owned by foreign nationals.

    Angry South Africans marched through parts of the province, demanding immediate government intervention and warning that failure to act could trigger further unrest.

    One protester said residents were prepared to take up arms if the matter remained unresolved, while others called for the deportation of Nigerians linked to the event.

    In a statement dated March 26 and seen by TheCable, the High Commission clarified that the Igbo East London festival was merely a cultural event, not a coronation.

    • Ohanaeze rejects installation of Igbo king in South Africa

    Explaining the context, the commission said cultural expressions among the Igbo people are often misunderstood outside Nigeria, stressing that such gatherings are largely symbolic rather than political.

    It cited practices such as the New Yam Festival (Iri Ji), masquerade displays (Mmanwu), traditional marriage rites (Igba Nkwu), and chieftaincy title ceremonies as key aspects of Igbo heritage.

    On Tuesday, Olajide Ogunmadeji, Deputy High Commissioner, issued the apology while addressing a group of protesting South Africans.

    Ogunmadeji reiterated that the situation had been misinterpreted, noting that the event was ceremonial and did not constitute the installation of a traditional authority in defiance of the existing system.

    “They are only celebrating their cultural activity. It is not a political or traditional institution,” he said.

    “I offer our apology to the traditional institutions in South Africa. We are sorry for what has happened. The embassy would never encourage the undermining of authority or institutions.”

    The High Commission had earlier issued an advisory urging Nigerians in South Africa to remain alert and limit their movement amid the tension.

    It also advised Nigerians to suspend all socio-cultural activities and avoid making inflammatory statements that could escalate tensions, particularly on social and mainstream media.

    Share. Facebook Twitter Telegram WhatsApp

    Keep Reading

    SERAP asks Tinubu to probe N2.9bn missing funds in NIGCOMSAT, NNRA

    2027: Tinubu wins APC primary election in Gombe

    SERAP asks Tinubu to probe N2.9bn missing funds in NIGCOMSAT, NNRA

    Tinubu participates in APC primary, praises party’s democracy

    INEC: We’ll review court verdict on 2027 election timetable before taking action

    INEC: We’ll review court verdict on 2027 election timetable before taking action

    Three dead as WHO investigates Hantavirus outbreak on cruise ship

    WHO loses member country as Argentina quits

    Tinubu meets Mutfwang at Aso Rock over Plateau killings

    2027: Plateau gov wins APC governorship primaries

    Peter Obi reacts to the kidnapping of students in Borno and Oyo states, describing the attacks as a threat to Nigeria’s future and education sector.

    Obi denies running from Atiku ahead 2027 election

    Subscribe to News

    Be the first to get the latest news updates from ChronicleNG about world, sports, politics etc

    SERAP asks Tinubu to probe N2.9bn missing funds in NIGCOMSAT, NNRA

    2027: Tinubu wins APC primary election in Gombe

    May 23, 2026
    Celtic extend league league with pulsating win over Rangers

    Celtic win Scottish Cup to complete double

    May 23, 2026
    Hull promoted to Premier League after 1-0 win over Middlesbrough

    Hull promoted to Premier League after 1-0 win over Middlesbrough

    May 23, 2026
    SERAP asks Tinubu to probe N2.9bn missing funds in NIGCOMSAT, NNRA

    Tinubu participates in APC primary, praises party’s democracy

    May 23, 2026
    INEC: We’ll review court verdict on 2027 election timetable before taking action

    INEC: We’ll review court verdict on 2027 election timetable before taking action

    May 23, 2026
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    • Politics
    • News
    • Sports
    • Business
    • About Us
    © 2026 ChronicleNG

    Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.