Close Menu
Chronicle NG
    Trending Stories
    Governor Uba Sani of Kaduna State has approved 50 Christians from the state to embark on a holy pilgrimage, ending an 11-year suspension of the program.

    Kaduna ends El-Rufai’s ban, approves 50 Christians for pilgrimage

    February 18, 2026
    Troops nab 25 suspected bandits, kidnappers along Benue highway 

    Troops rescue victim, kill five kidnappers in Plateau

    February 18, 2026
    Vinicius, racism and mourinho’s hideous reaction, by Bamidele Johnson

    Vinicius, racism and Mourinho’s hideous reaction, by Bamidele Johnson 

    February 18, 2026
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    Trending
    • Kaduna ends El-Rufai’s ban, approves 50 Christians for pilgrimage
    • Troops rescue victim, kill five kidnappers in Plateau
    • Vinicius, racism and Mourinho’s hideous reaction, by Bamidele Johnson 
    • Dangote predicts Naira at N1,100/dollar in 2026
    • Wike berates Amaechi over NASS protest appearance with doctor son
    • Residents flee to Benin Republic as terrorists invade Niger again
    • EFCC extends El-Rufai detention over N432bn corruption probe
    • Aiyedatiwa denies role in APC chairman attack in Ondo
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    Chronicle NGChronicle NG
    Subscribe
    Wednesday, February 18
    • News
      • Nigeria News
      • World News
      • Headlines News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Sport
    • Entertainment
    • Contact Us
    Chronicle NG

    Trump ends deportation protection for over 500,000 Haitians

    Vincent OsuwoBy Vincent OsuwoFebruary 21, 2025No Comments2 Mins Read
    Facebook Twitter Telegram WhatsApp
    US President Donald Trump confirmed on Thursday that US forces conducted deadly strikes against Islamic State terrorists in Northwestern Nigeria and vowed more attacks if the militants keep killing Christians.
    US President Donald Trump
    Facebook Twitter WhatsApp

    The Donald Trump-led US government will end the temporary protected status (TPS) for 500,000 Haitians living in the country in August, the Department of Homeland Security said on Thursday.

    The Caribbean country is experiencing deteriorating conditions, with gangs controlling 85% of the capital and sexual violence against children increasing by 1,000% last year, according to the United Nations.

    TPS is granted to nationals of designated countries facing unsafe conditions, such as armed conflict or environmental disasters.

    Trump has moved to overhaul parts of the US immigration system since returning to office and promised “mass deportations” and arrests.

    Haitians have had TPS since 2010, and it will terminate on August 3, 2025.

    This means they will lose their work licenses and might face deportation.

    The Trump administration declared on February 1 that the status would cease for Venezuelans living in the United States; however, the National TPS Alliance is currently challenging this decision in court.

    “For decades the TPS system has been exploited and abused,” the Department for Homeland Security said in a statement on Thursday.

    The system now allows Haitians who entered the US illegally to qualify for legal protected status.

    However, the announcement has been met with criticism. Last year, over 5,600 people were killed in gang violence in Haiti, and families are struggling to survive in makeshift shelters while facing mounting health and protection risks.

    Democratic congresswoman Ayanna Pressley called the decision “shameful” amid the “unspeakable violence.”

    During his presidential campaign, Trump falsely claimed that illegal immigrants from Haiti were eating domestic pets in a tiny Ohio city.

    City officials told BBC Verify that there were “no credible reports” that this occurred.

    John Kirby, a spokesman for the US National Security Council, labeled the accusation a “conspiracy theory… based on an element of racism”.

    Share. Facebook Twitter Telegram WhatsApp

    Keep Reading

    Governor Uba Sani of Kaduna State has approved 50 Christians from the state to embark on a holy pilgrimage, ending an 11-year suspension of the program.

    Kaduna ends El-Rufai’s ban, approves 50 Christians for pilgrimage

    Troops nab 25 suspected bandits, kidnappers along Benue highway 

    Troops rescue victim, kill five kidnappers in Plateau

    Dangote predicts Naira at N1,100 per dollar in 2026

    Dangote predicts Naira at N1,100/dollar in 2026

    You have a spiritual problem – Wike blasts Amaechi over property claims

    Wike berates Amaechi over NASS protest appearance with doctor son

    Residents flee to Benin Republic as terrorists invade Niger again

    Residents flee to Benin Republic as terrorists invade Niger again

    DSS charges El-Rufai over interception of Ribadu’s phone conversation

    EFCC extends El-Rufai detention over N432bn corruption probe

    Subscribe to News

    Be the first to get the latest news updates from ChronicleNG about world, sports, politics etc

    Governor Uba Sani of Kaduna State has approved 50 Christians from the state to embark on a holy pilgrimage, ending an 11-year suspension of the program.

    Kaduna ends El-Rufai’s ban, approves 50 Christians for pilgrimage

    February 18, 2026
    Troops nab 25 suspected bandits, kidnappers along Benue highway 

    Troops rescue victim, kill five kidnappers in Plateau

    February 18, 2026
    Vinicius, racism and mourinho’s hideous reaction, by Bamidele Johnson

    Vinicius, racism and Mourinho’s hideous reaction, by Bamidele Johnson 

    February 18, 2026
    Dangote predicts Naira at N1,100 per dollar in 2026

    Dangote predicts Naira at N1,100/dollar in 2026

    February 18, 2026
    You have a spiritual problem – Wike blasts Amaechi over property claims

    Wike berates Amaechi over NASS protest appearance with doctor son

    February 18, 2026
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    • Politics
    • News
    • Sports
    • Business
    • About Us
    © 2026 ChronicleNG

    Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.