Close Menu
Chronicle NG
    Trending Stories
    Alvaro Arbeloa appointed as Real Madrid head coach after Alonso exit

    Alvaro Arbeloa confirms Real Madrid departure

    May 22, 2026
    Man United confirm Carrick as permanent manager

    Man United confirm Carrick as permanent head coach until 2028

    May 22, 2026
    Manchester City confirm Pep Guardiola's exit

    Manchester City confirm Pep Guardiola’s exit

    May 22, 2026
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    Trending
    • Alvaro Arbeloa confirms Real Madrid departure
    • Man United confirm Carrick as permanent head coach until 2028
    • Manchester City confirm Pep Guardiola’s exit
    • Man City confirm Guardiola exit after trophy-filled 10-year reign
    • Irate mob sets Ebola hospital on fire in DR Congo
    • JUST IN: Sani approves nearly N1bn for Kaduna workers’ entitlements
    • Trump sends 5000 US troops to Poland, NATO gives nod
    • Mixed reactions trail JAMB registrar Segun Aina appointment
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    Chronicle NGChronicle NG
    Subscribe
    Friday, May 22
    • News
      • Nigeria News
      • World News
      • Headlines News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Sport
    • Entertainment
    • Contact Us
    Chronicle NG

    N2bn Fraud: Court gives EFCC permission to detain Maina, son

    Chronicle EditorBy Chronicle EditorOctober 10, 2019No Comments3 Mins Read
    Facebook Twitter Telegram WhatsApp
    Maina trial stalls as judge blasts delay tactics
    Abdulrasheed Maina
    Facebook Twitter WhatsApp

    The Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC) on Wednesday secured an order of the FCT High Court, Bwari, to detain former Chairman of the Pension Reform Task Team, Mr. Abdulrasheed Maina and his son, Faisal, in its custody pending the conclusion of investigation against them.

    A statement by the anti-graft’s Head of Media and Publicity, Mr. Wilson Uwujaren, said: “The order, which was given on October 7, 2019, following an ex parte application by the anti-graft agency, empowers the commission to remand the defendants in its custody for an initial period of 14 days.

    “The court, however, noted that the order is ‘subject to be reviewed, if necessary’.

    “Maina and his son were arrested at an Abuja Hotel by the Department of State Services, following a request by the commission.

    “They were subsequently handed to the EFCC for further investigation and prosecution on  allegations of fraud and money laundering.”

    Also, for pulling a gun on security agents who came to arrest his father, Faisal has been handed over to the police for investigation.

    The 20-year-old tried to prevent his father from being arrested at Pennsylvania Avenue Hotel, Utako, Abuja, last week.

    But while Faisal has a date with the police, his father yesterday underwent what a source described as “marathon interrogation”.

    The ex-pension boss is expected to justify how he came about 40 assets and thousands of transactions in banks linked with him.

    Detectives also discovered that Maina actually used the Bank Verification Number (BVN) of his relations, including sisters, to open some fictitious accounts.

    There were indications that all his accounts might be frozen by the EFCC.

    According to a source, who spoke in confidence, Maina has opened up in detention on his activities.

    READ: Aregbesola advocates proper biometric capturing of Nigerians

    The source said: “Maina and his son have been in custody in the last one week. But we have decided to refer his son to the Nigeria Police for investigation for illegal possession of firearms and attempted murder of security operatives.

    “If any prima facie case is established, Faisal Maina will face trial accordingly. But he aided his father to resist arrest by the Department of State Services (DSS) with a pistol. It is left to the police to look at his conduct in line with the law of the land.”

    On the fate of Maina, the source added: “The interrogation of Maina continued for hours yesterday (Tuesday) and he has made useful statement. So far, we have traced over 40 assets to him and we are verifying all the documents.

    “Thousands of transactions have been linked with him. We have also picked him up on how he came up with fictitious accounts, including the use of BVN of his relatives, like his sisters, for these accounts.”

    “We will certainly take measures to freeze his accounts to enable our detectives conduct a good profiling of him. We will soon release some details of what he admitted in the course of interrogation.”

    Share. Facebook Twitter Telegram WhatsApp

    Keep Reading

    Irate mob sets Ebola hospital on fire in DR Congo

    Irate mob sets Ebola hospital on fire in DR Congo

    Kaduna State Governor Uba Sani addressing judiciary staff union leaders during a meeting at Sir Kashim Ibrahim House in Kaduna.

    JUST IN: Sani approves nearly N1bn for Kaduna workers’ entitlements

    Trump : You're on your own, US tells citizens in Israel amid Middle East tensions 

    Trump sends 5000 US troops to Poland, NATO gives nod

    Nigerians reacting on social media to the appointment of Segun Aina as new JAMB registrar announced by President Tinubu.

    Mixed reactions trail JAMB registrar Segun Aina appointment

    The Governor of Benue State, Hyacinth Alia, has expressed deep sorrow over the death of ten people in a tragic accident in the Okete community, Ohimini Local Government Area.

    Alia wins Benue APC governorship primary election

    RCMP tactical armoured vehicle and heavily armed officers outside a Spencer Street home during a police raid in downtown St. John’s.

    Police deploy flash bangs, armoured vehicle in St. John’s drug raid

    Subscribe to News

    Be the first to get the latest news updates from ChronicleNG about world, sports, politics etc

    Alvaro Arbeloa appointed as Real Madrid head coach after Alonso exit

    Alvaro Arbeloa confirms Real Madrid departure

    May 22, 2026
    Man United confirm Carrick as permanent manager

    Man United confirm Carrick as permanent head coach until 2028

    May 22, 2026
    Manchester City confirm Pep Guardiola's exit

    Manchester City confirm Pep Guardiola’s exit

    May 22, 2026
    Manchester City confirm Pep Guardiola's exit

    Man City confirm Guardiola exit after trophy-filled 10-year reign

    May 22, 2026
    Irate mob sets Ebola hospital on fire in DR Congo

    Irate mob sets Ebola hospital on fire in DR Congo

    May 22, 2026
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    • Politics
    • News
    • Sports
    • Business
    • About Us
    © 2026 ChronicleNG

    Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.