Close Menu
Chronicle NG
    Trending Stories
    Three Kwara worshippers killed, 15 abducted by gunmen

    Three Kwara worshippers killed, 15 abducted by gunmen

    May 24, 2026
    Pope Leo XIV arrives in Algeria for historic visit promoting interfaith dialogue

    Pope Leo blasts firms profiting from environmental pollution

    May 24, 2026
    El-Rufai court bail hearing in Abuja with strict DSS reporting and surety conditions outlined by the Federal High Court.

    Aichatou El-Rufai demands N2bn from ICPC over ‘wife of a defendant’ remark

    May 24, 2026
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    Trending
    • Three Kwara worshippers killed, 15 abducted by gunmen
    • Pope Leo blasts firms profiting from environmental pollution
    • Aichatou El-Rufai demands N2bn from ICPC over ‘wife of a defendant’ remark
    • 2027: Ireti Kingibe wins ADC FCT Senate ticket
    • Usyk retains titles with controversial win against Verhoeven
    • Bangladesh’s ‘Donald Trump’ buffalo becomes Eid al-Adha attraction
    • Kane scores hat-trick as Bayern win German Cup
    • Barcelona thrash Lyon to win fourth Champions League title
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    Chronicle NGChronicle NG
    Subscribe
    Sunday, May 24
    • News
      • Nigeria News
      • World News
      • Headlines News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Sport
    • Entertainment
    • Contact Us
    Chronicle NG

    Muslim pilgrims criticized over ‘unholy acts’ in Hajj

    Vincent OsuwoBy Vincent OsuwoMarch 29, 2025No Comments3 Mins Read
    Facebook Twitter Telegram WhatsApp
    The Nasrul-Lahi-l-Fatih Society of Nigeria has denounced the actions of some Nigerian Muslims who performed the lesser hajj in Mecca, Saudi Arabia.
    Facebook Twitter WhatsApp

    The Nasrul-Lahi-l-Fatih Society of Nigeria has denounced the actions of some Nigerian Muslims who performed the lesser hajj in Mecca, Saudi Arabia.

    NASFAT asked Nigerian Muslim pilgrims to avoid improper and disrespectful behaviour while at the holy city, noting that such behaviours did not reflect Islam.

    In viral videos spreading on X (previously Twitter), some Nigerian Muslims were seen abusing Yoruba folks while attempting to touch the Kaaba.

    In the video, one Nigerian pilgrim is heard questioning a foreign individual, “Are you the one who killed the Prophet, or perhaps your forefathers were responsible?”

    Another traveller, insulting a white worshipper, said, “If you want to pray, pray, but don’t disturb me here.” You have started crying again…”

    Also, many Nigerian pilgrims were seen recording and posting their spiritual activities on social media, a practice clerics have criticised as inappropriate.

    Commenting on the situation, NASFAT’s National Da’wah Officer, Abdul-Ganiy Raji, expressed dismay over the actions of the Nigerians, noting that pilgrimage should not be performed in such a manner.

    Raji advocated for consequences and sanctions for misbehaving in the holy place, saying that contempt could render prayers ineffective.

    “If one plays during solat, Allah won’t answer such a prayer. The irreligious acts by some Nigerians in Mecca are disturbing. People from across the world come for Hajj and conduct themselves properly,” he said.

    Raji claimed that persons with questionable origins of income were frequently the ones participating in wrongdoing, emphasising that not all Nigerian pilgrims behaved in this manner.

    He also berated the commercialisation of Hajj, noting, “Hajj should not be seen as a profit-making venture.”

    He further blamed private hajj operators for failing to screen pilgrims properly before facilitating their trips.

    “It is unfortunate that private organisations given slots by the National Hajj Commission do not screen those travelling for Hajj. As a result, anyone with money—regardless of character—can go, even someone who is mentally unwell. NAHCON needs to address this issue.

    “In the past, people who failed to answer basic religious questions were withdrawn from Hajj, but that no longer happens,” he added.

    Raji urged NAHCON to hold private operators accountable, arguing that any company whose clients misbehaved should have their licence revoked.

    In the same vein, Dr Sidiq Uthman, an Islamic cleric and lecturer at Lagos State University’s Department of Religions, has linked the attitude of certain Nigerian pilgrims to excessive consumerism.

    He contended that many of those engaged may be oblivious of the gravity of their acts and should not bear complete accountability.

    “Attention should be directed at the hajj agencies and coordinators responsible for supervising the pilgrims in Saudi Arabia. These individuals ought to have been warned of the implications of such sacrilegious acts,” Uthman said.

    He also criticised social media for encouraging the inappropriate display of religious activities, pointing out that the problem was not limited to hajj pilgrims.

    “This issue reflects the negative impact of social media in today’s world. Even here in Nigeria, places of worship have become selfie spots—ranging from Pentecostal churches to Muslim asalatu groups,” he noted.

    Uthman further berated some Muslim scholars, accusing them of promoting such behaviour by recording their own prayers to please sponsors.

    “Religious leaders are equally guilty of this. Many record their secret prayers to prove to sponsors that they are fulfilling their obligations. When those who should lead by example engage in such acts, there is little hope for change,” he concluded.

    Share. Facebook Twitter Telegram WhatsApp

    Keep Reading

    Three Kwara worshippers killed, 15 abducted by gunmen

    Three Kwara worshippers killed, 15 abducted by gunmen

    Pope Leo XIV arrives in Algeria for historic visit promoting interfaith dialogue

    Pope Leo blasts firms profiting from environmental pollution

    El-Rufai court bail hearing in Abuja with strict DSS reporting and surety conditions outlined by the Federal High Court.

    Aichatou El-Rufai demands N2bn from ICPC over ‘wife of a defendant’ remark

    Ireti Kingibe slams Wike, says ‘he’s out of touch, fuelling resentment in Abuja’

    2027: Ireti Kingibe wins ADC FCT Senate ticket

    A sacrificial albino buffalo named after US President Donald Trump which recently went viral, is pictured at an agro farm ahead of Eid-al-Adha, in Narayanganj, Bangladesh.

    Bangladesh’s ‘Donald Trump’ buffalo becomes Eid al-Adha attraction

    EFCC anti-corruption infographic condemning leaders who loot public funds to buy private jets.

    EFCC warns leaders against looting public funds for luxury lifestyles

    Subscribe to News

    Be the first to get the latest news updates from ChronicleNG about world, sports, politics etc

    Three Kwara worshippers killed, 15 abducted by gunmen

    Three Kwara worshippers killed, 15 abducted by gunmen

    May 24, 2026
    Pope Leo XIV arrives in Algeria for historic visit promoting interfaith dialogue

    Pope Leo blasts firms profiting from environmental pollution

    May 24, 2026
    El-Rufai court bail hearing in Abuja with strict DSS reporting and surety conditions outlined by the Federal High Court.

    Aichatou El-Rufai demands N2bn from ICPC over ‘wife of a defendant’ remark

    May 24, 2026
    Ireti Kingibe slams Wike, says ‘he’s out of touch, fuelling resentment in Abuja’

    2027: Ireti Kingibe wins ADC FCT Senate ticket

    May 24, 2026
    Usyk retains titles with controversial win against Verhoeven

    Usyk retains titles with controversial win against Verhoeven

    May 24, 2026
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    • Politics
    • News
    • Sports
    • Business
    • About Us
    © 2026 ChronicleNG

    Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.