Close Menu
Chronicle NG
    Trending Stories
    Police arrest Buhari's ex-aide Obono-Obla over alleged certificate forgery 

    Police arrest Buhari’s ex-aide Obono-Obla over alleged certificate forgery 

    February 20, 2026
    Emergency rule: Court to decide if Tinubu can remove elected officials March 9

    Tinubu urges orderly conduct as Rivers, Kano, FCT vote Saturday

    February 20, 2026
    Lakurawa terrorists Kill 33 in Kebbi’s attack

    Lakurawa terrorists kill 33 in Kebbi’s attack

    February 20, 2026
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    Trending
    • Police arrest Buhari’s ex-aide Obono-Obla over alleged certificate forgery 
    • Tinubu urges orderly conduct as Rivers, Kano, FCT vote Saturday
    • Lakurawa terrorists kill 33 in Kebbi’s attack
    • Plateau inaugurates panel to probe VIO misconduct
    • NSCDC starts 24-hour surveillance in Kwara
    • Rooney backs Arsenal to win EPL title over Man City
    • DSS to arraign El-Rufai February 25
    • 100-level UniAbuja student goes missing
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    Chronicle NGChronicle NG
    Subscribe
    Friday, February 20
    • News
      • Nigeria News
      • World News
      • Headlines News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Sport
    • Entertainment
    • Contact Us
    Chronicle NG

    Outrage as men parade women naked in India

    Opalim LiftedBy Opalim LiftedJuly 20, 2023No Comments3 Mins Read
    Facebook Twitter Telegram WhatsApp
    Madagascar adviser, Nciko wa Nciko, criticised the law for failing to “focus on the victim
    Facebook Twitter WhatsApp

    In India, a video showing two women being paraded naked by a crowd in the north-eastern state of Manipur, which has seen severe ethnic strife, has prompted anger.

    The police said they have initiated a gang rape investigation and have detained one man, adding that others will be caught shortly.

    Parliament’s session in Delhi was disrupted on Thursday as legislators requested a debate on the subject.

    Prime Minister Narendra Modi further stated that the act “shamed India” and that no one guilty will go unpunished.”

    “I assure the nation that the law will take its course with vigour.” “What happened to Manipur’s daughters can never be forgiven,” he declared, breaking his silence on the state more than two months after the violence began.

    Chief Justice of India DY Chandrachud also expressed concern over the assault, saying the Supreme Court was “deeply disturbed over the video”. Telling the government to inform the court about the steps being taken against the accused, the chief justice said “We will take action if you don’t”.

    • Historic India moon mission lifts off successfully

    Deadly violence has plunged Manipur, a scenic Indian state bordering Myanmar, into turmoil for more than two months.

    Clashes between members of the majority Meitei and the Kuki tribal communities have resulted in their complete segregation. At least 130 people have died, and 60,000 have been displaced.

    The two women, who are Kukis, were assaulted by men of the Meitei group.

    Police say the assault on the women took place on May 4, but it made national headlines on Thursday after the video started going viral on social media. The federal government has asked all social media companies to delete the video from their platforms.

    The horrific video of the two women was widely shared on social media on Wednesday. It shows them being dragged and groped by a mob of men, who then push them into a field.

    The Indigenous Tribal Leaders’ Forum (ITLF) said in a statement that atrocities had been committed in a village in Kangpokpi district against women from the Kuki-Zo tribal community. It was also alleged that the women had been gang raped.

    The assault has been condemned by politicians across the spectrum.

    Federal Minister Smriti Irani called it “downright inhuman”.

    Several opposition leaders also criticized the Bharatiya Janata Party government for not doing enough to quell the violence in the state.

    Congress party leader Priyanka Gandhi Vadhra said that the “images of sexual violence against women from Manipur are heartbreaking.”.

    Delhi Chief Minister Arvind Kejriwal weighed in too. “This kind of heinous act cannot be tolerated in Indian society,” he said.

    Share. Facebook Twitter Telegram WhatsApp

    Keep Reading

    Police arrest Buhari's ex-aide Obono-Obla over alleged certificate forgery 

    Police arrest Buhari’s ex-aide Obono-Obla over alleged certificate forgery 

    Emergency rule: Court to decide if Tinubu can remove elected officials March 9

    Tinubu urges orderly conduct as Rivers, Kano, FCT vote Saturday

    Lakurawa terrorists Kill 33 in Kebbi’s attack

    Lakurawa terrorists kill 33 in Kebbi’s attack

    Governor Caleb Mutfwang of Plateau State has expressed great grief over the cruel attack by suspected terrorists on a mining site in Kuru District, Jos South Local Government Area, which cost the lives of several innocents.

    Plateau inaugurates panel to probe VIO misconduct

    NSCDC foils armed herders attack on Plateau farmers

    NSCDC starts 24-hour surveillance in Kwara

    DSS to arraign El-Rufai February 25

    DSS to arraign El-Rufai February 25

    Subscribe to News

    Be the first to get the latest news updates from ChronicleNG about world, sports, politics etc

    Police arrest Buhari's ex-aide Obono-Obla over alleged certificate forgery 

    Police arrest Buhari’s ex-aide Obono-Obla over alleged certificate forgery 

    February 20, 2026
    Emergency rule: Court to decide if Tinubu can remove elected officials March 9

    Tinubu urges orderly conduct as Rivers, Kano, FCT vote Saturday

    February 20, 2026
    Lakurawa terrorists Kill 33 in Kebbi’s attack

    Lakurawa terrorists kill 33 in Kebbi’s attack

    February 20, 2026
    Governor Caleb Mutfwang of Plateau State has expressed great grief over the cruel attack by suspected terrorists on a mining site in Kuru District, Jos South Local Government Area, which cost the lives of several innocents.

    Plateau inaugurates panel to probe VIO misconduct

    February 20, 2026
    NSCDC foils armed herders attack on Plateau farmers

    NSCDC starts 24-hour surveillance in Kwara

    February 20, 2026
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    • Politics
    • News
    • Sports
    • Business
    • About Us
    © 2026 ChronicleNG

    Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.