Close Menu
Chronicle NG
    Trending Stories
    US President Donald Trump confirmed on Thursday that US forces conducted deadly strikes against Islamic State terrorists in Northwestern Nigeria and vowed more attacks if the militants keep killing Christians.

    Trump to miss son’s wedding over ‘love for America’

    May 22, 2026
    APC accuses ICPC of denying access to El-Rufai

    ADC accuses ICPC of denying access to El-Rufai

    May 22, 2026
    Kayode Fayemi has cautioned that the All Progressives Congress (APC) has strayed from its basic mission, citing a significant lack of intellectualism and internal debate inside the ruling party.

    APC has lost its bearing, vision – Fayemi

    May 22, 2026
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    Trending
    • Trump to miss son’s wedding over ‘love for America’
    • ADC accuses ICPC of denying access to El-Rufai
    • APC has lost its bearing, vision – Fayemi
    • Oyo suspends excursions, field trips, as slain teacher laid to rest
    • Chelsea legend Azpilicueta to retire from football at end of season
    • Baba Malam Wali wins APC governorship ticket in Yobe
    • Alvaro Arbeloa confirms Real Madrid departure
    • Man United confirm Carrick as permanent head coach until 2028
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    Chronicle NGChronicle NG
    Subscribe
    Saturday, May 23
    • News
      • Nigeria News
      • World News
      • Headlines News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Sport
    • Entertainment
    • Contact Us
    Chronicle NG

    $1.09bn Malabu Scam: Adoke, 6 others plead not guilty

    Chronicle EditorBy Chronicle EditorJanuary 23, 2020No Comments3 Mins Read
    Facebook Twitter Telegram WhatsApp
    Former Attorney General and Minister of Justice, Mohammed Adoke is at the middle of the Malabu scandal
    Former Attorney General and Minister of Justice, Mohammed Adoke
    Facebook Twitter WhatsApp

    Former Attorney-General of the Federation, Mohammed Adoke and six other co-defendants charged on 42 counts in connection with the $1.09 billion settlement agreement on Malabu Oil Block, on Thursday pleaded not guilty.

    NAN reports that the arraignment of Adoke was on Wednesday, stalled at the FCT High Court in Gwagwalada over confusion by the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission,(EFCC) the prosecuting agency.

    The EFCC counsel Bala Sanga told the court that he did not know why he was in court.

    “My Lord, we have not served the charge on the first, second and third defendant, we have only served the fifth, sixth and seventh defendants.

    “I’m at a loss as to why we are here(in court)’’, Sanga said.

    The prosecutor further told the court that the second defendant, Aliyu Abubakar was on the run and the commission had to set up a 24-hour manhunt for him.

    He added that the commission had intended to arraign all the seven defendants on Jan. 24 after effecting service on all of them.

    “I am shocked as to why it came up today but subject to the convenience of the court, i ask for a short adjournment to enable us serve them’’.

    Responding, counsel to Adoke, Mr Paul Erokoro, (SAN) confirmed that his client was yet to be served.

    • Armed robbers invade MTN office, steal N4.5m

    Erokoro, however, told the court that they were willing to waive service and proceed with the matter.

    “It is true that the charge has not been handed to us, but we consider ourselves served and so we waive service and are ready to go on with the arraignment.

    Moreover, the lawyer said that by virtue of Section 136 of the Administration of Criminal Justice Act, (ACJA), service was not necessary.

    For his part, Mr Wole Olanipekun, (SAN), counsel to the second defendant, insisted that his client had been served.

    Olanipekun also countered the argument of the prosecutor saying that his client had not been on the run and that in fact, his client was represented in court.

    Mr Mahmud Magaji, (SAN), counsel to the third defendant, Rasky Gbinigie wondered why the anti-graft agency failed to serve the charge on his client who had been in their custody.

    A representative of the fourth defendant, Nigeria Agip Exploration Ltd, however told the court that his client had yet to be served and that the counsel representing the fourth defendant was not in court.

    The trial judge, Justice Abubakar Kutigi however, insisted that the law provided for every defendant to be served before plea would be taken.

    He directed the prosecutor to serve the charge on all parties and also directed that all bail applications be served on all parties.

    The judge adjourned the matter until Jan. 23 for arraignment.

    News Agency of Nigeria, (NAN) recalls that the EFCC had filed criminal charges against Adoke over his alleged indictment in the Oil Prospective Licence (OPL) 245.

    The former Attorney-General of the Federation and Minister of Justice was on self exile for four years when the charges were slammed on him by the Federal Government.

    The anti-graft agency accused the former justice minister of fraudulently allocating OPL 245.

    The former justice minister was arrested on December 19 by the EFCC on arrival to the country and has been in its custody since then.

    Share. Facebook Twitter Telegram WhatsApp

    Keep Reading

    US President Donald Trump confirmed on Thursday that US forces conducted deadly strikes against Islamic State terrorists in Northwestern Nigeria and vowed more attacks if the militants keep killing Christians.

    Trump to miss son’s wedding over ‘love for America’

    APC accuses ICPC of denying access to El-Rufai

    ADC accuses ICPC of denying access to El-Rufai

    Kayode Fayemi has cautioned that the All Progressives Congress (APC) has strayed from its basic mission, citing a significant lack of intellectualism and internal debate inside the ruling party.

    APC has lost its bearing, vision – Fayemi

    Michael Oyedokun: Terrorists behead abducted Oyo teacher

    Oyo suspends excursions, field trips, as slain teacher laid to rest

    Baba Malam Wali wins APC governorship ticket in Yobe

    Baba Malam Wali wins APC governorship ticket in Yobe

    Irate mob sets Ebola hospital on fire in DR Congo

    Irate mob sets Ebola hospital on fire in DR Congo

    Subscribe to News

    Be the first to get the latest news updates from ChronicleNG about world, sports, politics etc

    US President Donald Trump confirmed on Thursday that US forces conducted deadly strikes against Islamic State terrorists in Northwestern Nigeria and vowed more attacks if the militants keep killing Christians.

    Trump to miss son’s wedding over ‘love for America’

    May 22, 2026
    APC accuses ICPC of denying access to El-Rufai

    ADC accuses ICPC of denying access to El-Rufai

    May 22, 2026
    Kayode Fayemi has cautioned that the All Progressives Congress (APC) has strayed from its basic mission, citing a significant lack of intellectualism and internal debate inside the ruling party.

    APC has lost its bearing, vision – Fayemi

    May 22, 2026
    Michael Oyedokun: Terrorists behead abducted Oyo teacher

    Oyo suspends excursions, field trips, as slain teacher laid to rest

    May 22, 2026
    Azpilicueta to retire at end of season

    Chelsea legend Azpilicueta to retire from football at end of season

    May 22, 2026
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    • Politics
    • News
    • Sports
    • Business
    • About Us
    © 2026 ChronicleNG

    Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.