Close Menu
Chronicle NG
    Trending Stories
    APC releases 2027 election timetable and nomination fees for presidential, governorship, and legislative aspirants

    APC primaries tear Benue apart, ‘results were allocated’ aggrieved members claim

    May 21, 2026
    ADC: APC will win 2027 elections convincingly - Yilwatda

    APC primaries most competitive in history – Yilwatda

    May 21, 2026
    Court fines lawyer N1m in suit seeking to stop Jonathan 2027 bid

    Goodluck Jonathan should stay out of 2027 race – Lamido

    May 21, 2026
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    Trending
    • APC primaries tear Benue apart, ‘results were allocated’ aggrieved members claim
    • APC primaries most competitive in history – Yilwatda
    • Goodluck Jonathan should stay out of 2027 race – Lamido
    • Fubara withdraws from Rivers APC governorship primary
    • Clinical Aston Villa outclass Freiburg to win Europa League
    • Shettima: People told Tinubu I wanted to kill him and become president
    • Dangote refinery IPO demand nears $2bn as Otedola commits $100m investment
    • Kwankwaso working for Tinubu’s re-election, Kano gov’s aide alleges
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    Chronicle NGChronicle NG
    Subscribe
    Thursday, May 21
    • News
      • Nigeria News
      • World News
      • Headlines News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Sport
    • Entertainment
    • Contact Us
    Chronicle NG

    Fifth death in Italy amid hunt for Coronavirus spreader

    Chronicle EditorBy Chronicle EditorFebruary 24, 2020No Comments2 Mins Read
    Facebook Twitter Telegram WhatsApp
    Germany: Police launch manhunt as suspect kills family of three
    Facebook Twitter WhatsApp

    A fifth person has died from coronavirus in Italy, where cases have soared over 200 – as Austria assembles a special taskforce to consider border controls.

    A dozen towns in Italy are in lockdown as authorities race to contain the biggest outbreak of coronavirus in Europe.

    More than 200 people in Italy have been infected with COVID-19, the disease caused by the coronavirus – and there have been at least five deaths over the past 48 hours.

    The latest victim was 88 years old and was from the northern Lombardy region, Italian media reported, making him the fourth victim in the area.

    READ ALSO: Malaysian Prime Minister Mahathir Mohamad Resigns

    On Sunday evening, Austria refused entry to a train coming from Italy after the Italian State Railways informed Austrian train operator OBB that there were two people with fever symptoms on board.

    “Tonight a train on its way from Venice to Munich was stopped at the Austrian border,” Austria’s interior ministry earlier confirmed.

    The operator later confirmed to Sky News that all train traffic to and from Italy had been suspended – but the suspension was lifted after a few hours.

    Concern has also been expressed by the French director of health Jerome Salomon, who said the situation was “worrying” and warned of further cases in France because of its proximity to Italy.

    He told the France Info radio station that “anyone returning from Lombardy or Veneto with symptoms must be considered suspicious”, but said there were not yet any plans for border controls.

    However, officials did intercept a coach from Milan to Lyon over concerns one Italian on board might have the virus, having displayed flu-like symptoms.

    Police put up a security cordon around the bus and moved the passengers into an area of Lyon Perrache bus station, where they were isolated from other travellers, and the person showing symptoms was taken to hospital.

    Germany has said it is not considering border closures.

    SKY

    Share. Facebook Twitter Telegram WhatsApp

    Keep Reading

    Health workers in protective gear responding to Ebola outbreak cases in the Democratic Republic of Congo.

    WHO fears Congo Ebola outbreak has spread beyond borders

    Health workers in protective gear responding to Ebola outbreak cases in the Democratic Republic of Congo.

    WHO declares DR Congo, Uganda Ebola outbreak global health emergency

    Health workers in protective gear responding to Ebola outbreak cases in the Democratic Republic of Congo.

    65 dead as DR Congo confirms new Ebola outbreak

    France arrests six over Palestinian flag on Eiffel Tower

    France arrests six over Palestinian flag on Eiffel Tower

    President Bola Tinubu speaking at a public event in Nigeria, representing federal government economic policy announcements.

    Tinubu hails Nigeria-US operation that killed ISIS commander Abu-Bilal Al-Manuki

    Peter Obi speaking during a political event while criticising President Bola Tinubu’s UK state visit.

    Obi criticises Tinubu UK trip over lack of economic gains

    Subscribe to News

    Be the first to get the latest news updates from ChronicleNG about world, sports, politics etc

    APC releases 2027 election timetable and nomination fees for presidential, governorship, and legislative aspirants

    APC primaries tear Benue apart, ‘results were allocated’ aggrieved members claim

    May 21, 2026
    ADC: APC will win 2027 elections convincingly - Yilwatda

    APC primaries most competitive in history – Yilwatda

    May 21, 2026
    Court fines lawyer N1m in suit seeking to stop Jonathan 2027 bid

    Goodluck Jonathan should stay out of 2027 race – Lamido

    May 21, 2026
    Governor Siminialayi Fubara has appointed a new chief of staff and also secretary to the Rivers State Government.

    Fubara withdraws from Rivers APC governorship primary

    May 21, 2026
    Aston Villa players celebrate after defeating Freiburg to win the Europa League final in Istanbul.

    Clinical Aston Villa outclass Freiburg to win Europa League

    May 21, 2026
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    • Politics
    • News
    • Sports
    • Business
    • About Us
    © 2026 ChronicleNG

    Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.