Close Menu
Chronicle NG
    Trending Stories
    Peter Obi reacts to the kidnapping of students in Borno and Oyo states, describing the attacks as a threat to Nigeria’s future and education sector.

    Obi denies running from Atiku ahead 2027 election

    May 23, 2026
    Former Minister of Power Adebayo Adelabu, who resigned to contest the Oyo governorship primaries, has failed to clinch the ticket of the All Progressives Congress, APC.

    Adelabu loses APC gov ticket in Oyo after quitting as minister

    May 23, 2026
    Omoyele Sowore speaking on rejection of opposition coalition ahead of 2027 election

    ‘I’m running to win’, Sowore declares 2027 presidential ambition

    May 23, 2026
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    Trending
    • Obi denies running from Atiku ahead 2027 election
    • Adelabu loses APC gov ticket in Oyo after quitting as minister
    • ‘I’m running to win’, Sowore declares 2027 presidential ambition
    • NNPCL opposes Dangote refinery suit, warns against ‘monopoly control’ of fuel market
    • US cracks down on non-consensual AI-generated intimate images
    • How Ogun teacher abducted, killed WASSCE candidate, spent ransom on sports betting
    • Gas explosion kills 82 in China coal mine
    • Amaechi accuses Tinubu of creating hunger to bribe voters with rice
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    Chronicle NGChronicle NG
    Subscribe
    Saturday, May 23
    • News
      • Nigeria News
      • World News
      • Headlines News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Sport
    • Entertainment
    • Contact Us
    Chronicle NG

    FG threatens to replace striking resident doctors

    Chronicle EditorBy Chronicle EditorAugust 7, 2021No Comments3 Mins Read
    Facebook Twitter Telegram WhatsApp
    Resident doctors gives FG four-week ultimatum to pay salaries, allowances
    Medical doctors
    Facebook Twitter WhatsApp

    The Federal Government has threatened to replace resident doctors who are protesting unpaid allowances, if they do not return to work as soon as possible.

    The position of the Federal Government was made known by the Minister of Labour and Employment, Dr Chris Ngige who announced this in an interview with Channels TV on Friday.

    The Minister said that an employer has the right to replace an erring employee who absconds from his/her duty post.

    “He will also withdraw your money and use it to pay those he has acquired during the period you were away,” he said.

    “If you go to the International Labour Organisation (ILO) principles at work, it guarantees a worker the right to strike but it has consequences”.

    The minister had earlier stated that he had invoked Section 43 of the Labour Act which states, in part, that for the period a worker withdraws his services, the government or his employers are not entitled to pay.

    As essential workers, he also maintained that they are not expected to go on strike without notifying him at least 15 days prior.

    While the doctors continue to call on the government to fully take up its responsibilities, the Federal Government has insisted that most of the issues they have raised are state affairs.

    Minister of Health Dr Osagie Ehanire had told journalists in Abuja on Thursday that seven of 12 matters that were raised by the National Association of Resident Doctors (NARD), were the responsibility of state governments.

    Consequently, he said they were expected to resume work on Friday and take up the issues with the state governments rather than embark on the nationwide strike as they had done.

    The Labour Minister has, however, vowed to escalate the matter, should they fail to resume work by Monday, the expiration of the 1-week ultimatum he gave them.

    • FG warns house officers not to join resident doctors’ strike

    “Next week, I will escalate it because the conciliation has failed and the law says that if conciliation fails on my own side, I can move it up.

    “Avoiding the use of the word ‘sack’, Ngige said; there are other things that are permitted by law. I will invoke other things.

    “Their employer has a right to replace them. It doesn’t matter what you want to term it. We can use Locum doctors or medical officers,” he said.

    The strike, according to the aggrieved doctors is, however, expected to be indefinite.

    Share. Facebook Twitter Telegram WhatsApp

    Keep Reading

    Peter Obi reacts to the kidnapping of students in Borno and Oyo states, describing the attacks as a threat to Nigeria’s future and education sector.

    Obi denies running from Atiku ahead 2027 election

    Former Minister of Power Adebayo Adelabu, who resigned to contest the Oyo governorship primaries, has failed to clinch the ticket of the All Progressives Congress, APC.

    Adelabu loses APC gov ticket in Oyo after quitting as minister

    Omoyele Sowore speaking on rejection of opposition coalition ahead of 2027 election

    ‘I’m running to win’, Sowore declares 2027 presidential ambition

    NNPCL opposes Dangote refinery suit, warns against ‘monopoly control’ of fuel market

    NNPCL opposes Dangote refinery suit, warns against ‘monopoly control’ of fuel market

    US cracks down on non-consensual AI-generated intimate images

    US cracks down on non-consensual AI-generated intimate images

    How Ogun teacher abducted, killed WASSCE candidate, spent ransom on sports betting

    How Ogun teacher abducted, killed WASSCE candidate, spent ransom on sports betting

    Subscribe to News

    Be the first to get the latest news updates from ChronicleNG about world, sports, politics etc

    Peter Obi reacts to the kidnapping of students in Borno and Oyo states, describing the attacks as a threat to Nigeria’s future and education sector.

    Obi denies running from Atiku ahead 2027 election

    May 23, 2026
    Former Minister of Power Adebayo Adelabu, who resigned to contest the Oyo governorship primaries, has failed to clinch the ticket of the All Progressives Congress, APC.

    Adelabu loses APC gov ticket in Oyo after quitting as minister

    May 23, 2026
    Omoyele Sowore speaking on rejection of opposition coalition ahead of 2027 election

    ‘I’m running to win’, Sowore declares 2027 presidential ambition

    May 23, 2026
    NNPCL opposes Dangote refinery suit, warns against ‘monopoly control’ of fuel market

    NNPCL opposes Dangote refinery suit, warns against ‘monopoly control’ of fuel market

    May 23, 2026
    US cracks down on non-consensual AI-generated intimate images

    US cracks down on non-consensual AI-generated intimate images

    May 23, 2026
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    • Politics
    • News
    • Sports
    • Business
    • About Us
    © 2026 ChronicleNG

    Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.