Close Menu
Chronicle NG
    Trending Stories
    Jonathan wins 2025 Sunhak Peace Prize

    PDP grants Jonathan waiver, clears him for presidential race

    May 19, 2026
    Sunday Igboho backs Kemi Badenoch, tells Shettima to focus on Nigeria’s 

    Igboho expresses readiness to combat terrorists in south-west

    May 19, 2026
    Jonathan: Abaribe urges Gowon to 'write his own book, reveal truth about 1966 coup'

    Gowon reaffirms love for Nigeria in autobiography ‘My Life of Duty & Allegiance’

    May 19, 2026
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    Trending
    • PDP grants Jonathan waiver, clears him for presidential race
    • Igboho expresses readiness to combat terrorists in south-west
    • Gowon reaffirms love for Nigeria in autobiography ‘My Life of Duty & Allegiance’
    • Ebola deaths in Congo rise to 131 amid outbreak
    • DHQ confirms over 20 terrorists killed in coordinated US-Nigeria operation
    • JUST IN: EFCC arrests convicted ex-power minister Mamman in Kaduna
    • Adimike Godwin: NYSC member kills father in Abuja
    • Pereira: Nigerian athlete killed in US days before MBA graduation
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    Chronicle NGChronicle NG
    Subscribe
    Tuesday, May 19
    • News
      • Nigeria News
      • World News
      • Headlines News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Sport
    • Entertainment
    • Contact Us
    Chronicle NG

    FG hits Multichoice with N766m fine over privacy breaches

    Vincent OsuwoBy Vincent OsuwoJuly 7, 2025No Comments3 Mins Read
    Facebook Twitter Telegram WhatsApp
    DStv subscribers may lose CNN, 11 channels as talks stall
    Multichoice
    Facebook Twitter WhatsApp

    The Federal Government, through the Nigeria Data Protection Commission,NDPC, issued a N766,242,500 fine on Multichoice Nigeria for violating the Nigeria Data Protection Act, alleging abuses of subscribers’ privacy rights and the illegal movement of citizens’ personal information across borders.

    Babatunde Bamigboye, Head of Legal, Enforcement, and Regulations at NDPC, said in a statement on Sunday that the sanction was the result of an inquiry begun in the second quarter of 2024 after complaints appeared about the company’s intrusive data processing practices.

    “The depth of data processing by Multichoice is patently intrusive, unfair, unnecessary and disproportionate. This is a grave affront to the fundamental right to privacy as enshrined in Section 37 of the 1999 Constitution of the Federal Republic of Nigeria,” the country’s data regulator said.

    According to the NDPC, the investigation discovered various breaches, including the illegal handling of personal data belonging to both subscribers and non-Multichoice clients.

    It also discovered that the corporation had been sending Nigerians’ data abroad without following proper procedures.

    The commission stated that it directed Multichoice to implement corrective steps as part of its usual enforcement procedures. However, the company’s answer was deemed “unsatisfactory”, prompting the decision to issue the penalty.

    “For want of cooperation, the commission has directed Multichoice to pay N766,242,500 for violating the Nigeria Data Protection Act,” Bamigboye said.

    He also stated that Dr Vincent Olatunji, the National Commissioner of the NDPC, has ordered a broader probe into all Multichoice data collection outlets across the country.

    “Any outlet that processes personal data in violation of the NDP Act is liable to a penalty under the Act,” according to him.

    The NDPC underlined that Nigeria retains the right to defend its data sovereignty under both domestic and international law, emphasising that such infractions have consequences for the rule of law, national security, and economic development.

    This regulatory move adds to the rising attention that Multichoice Nigeria is receiving across sectors.

    In February 2025, the Federal Competition and Consumer Protection Commission directed the pay-TV operator to halt planned pricing increases pending the outcome of an inquiry. However, Multichoice implemented a price hike on March 1, 2025, which the commission characterised as a wilful violation of its ruling.

    The FCCPC then filed criminal charges against Multichoice Nigeria Limited and its CEO, John Ugbe, accusing them of hindering an ongoing investigation, disregarding regulatory orders, and violating parts of the Federal Competition and Consumer Protection Act 2018.

    The charges include wilful obstruction, obstructing an inquiry, and furnishing inaccurate information to the commission.

    Share. Facebook Twitter Telegram WhatsApp

    Keep Reading

    Jonathan wins 2025 Sunhak Peace Prize

    PDP grants Jonathan waiver, clears him for presidential race

    Sunday Igboho backs Kemi Badenoch, tells Shettima to focus on Nigeria’s 

    Igboho expresses readiness to combat terrorists in south-west

    Jonathan: Abaribe urges Gowon to 'write his own book, reveal truth about 1966 coup'

    Gowon reaffirms love for Nigeria in autobiography ‘My Life of Duty & Allegiance’

    Health workers in protective gear responding to Ebola outbreak cases in the Democratic Republic of Congo.

    Ebola deaths in Congo rise to 131 amid outbreak

    DHQ confirms over 20 terrorists killed in coordinated US-Nigeria operation

    DHQ confirms over 20 terrorists killed in coordinated US-Nigeria operation

    Former Power Minister Saleh Mamman arrested by EFCC operatives in Kaduna after corruption conviction and sentencing.

    JUST IN: EFCC arrests convicted ex-power minister Mamman in Kaduna

    Subscribe to News

    Be the first to get the latest news updates from ChronicleNG about world, sports, politics etc

    Jonathan wins 2025 Sunhak Peace Prize

    PDP grants Jonathan waiver, clears him for presidential race

    May 19, 2026
    Sunday Igboho backs Kemi Badenoch, tells Shettima to focus on Nigeria’s 

    Igboho expresses readiness to combat terrorists in south-west

    May 19, 2026
    Jonathan: Abaribe urges Gowon to 'write his own book, reveal truth about 1966 coup'

    Gowon reaffirms love for Nigeria in autobiography ‘My Life of Duty & Allegiance’

    May 19, 2026
    Health workers in protective gear responding to Ebola outbreak cases in the Democratic Republic of Congo.

    Ebola deaths in Congo rise to 131 amid outbreak

    May 19, 2026
    DHQ confirms over 20 terrorists killed in coordinated US-Nigeria operation

    DHQ confirms over 20 terrorists killed in coordinated US-Nigeria operation

    May 19, 2026
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    • Politics
    • News
    • Sports
    • Business
    • About Us
    © 2026 ChronicleNG

    Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.