Close Menu
Chronicle NG
    Trending Stories
    Pope Leo XIV arrives in Algeria for historic visit promoting interfaith dialogue

    Pope Leo blasts firms profiting from environmental pollution

    May 24, 2026
    El-Rufai court bail hearing in Abuja with strict DSS reporting and surety conditions outlined by the Federal High Court.

    Aichatou El-Rufai demands N2bn from ICPC over ‘wife of a defendant’ remark

    May 24, 2026
    Ireti Kingibe slams Wike, says ‘he’s out of touch, fuelling resentment in Abuja’

    2027: Ireti Kingibe wins ADC FCT Senate ticket

    May 24, 2026
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    Trending
    • Pope Leo blasts firms profiting from environmental pollution
    • Aichatou El-Rufai demands N2bn from ICPC over ‘wife of a defendant’ remark
    • 2027: Ireti Kingibe wins ADC FCT Senate ticket
    • Usyk retains titles with controversial win against Verhoeven
    • Bangladesh’s ‘Donald Trump’ buffalo becomes Eid al-Adha attraction
    • Kane scores hat-trick as Bayern win German Cup
    • Barcelona thrash Lyon to win fourth Champions League title
    • EFCC warns leaders against looting public funds for luxury lifestyles
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    Chronicle NGChronicle NG
    Subscribe
    Sunday, May 24
    • News
      • Nigeria News
      • World News
      • Headlines News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Sport
    • Entertainment
    • Contact Us
    Chronicle NG

    FG condemns Guinea coup, says it is a violation of ECOWAS protocol

    Chronicle EditorBy Chronicle EditorSeptember 6, 2021No Comments3 Mins Read
    Facebook Twitter Telegram WhatsApp
    Mastermind of Guinea coup, Lieutenant-Colonel Mamady Doumbouya
    Mastermind of Guinea coup, Lieutenant-Colonel Mamady Doumbouya
    Facebook Twitter WhatsApp

    The Federal Government of Nigeria has denounced the suspension of the Guinean constitution and arrest of President Alpha Conde in a coup d’état on Sunday.

    The position of the Nigerian government was made known in a statement by the spokesperson for the Ministry of Foreign Affairs, Mrs Esther Sunsuwa.

    According to the statement, the hostile takeover of the government by the military was a clear violation of the ECOWAS Protocol on Democracy and Good Governance.

    The statement read:

    “The Government of Nigeria strongly condemns and rejects any unconstitutional change of government and therefore calls on those behind this coup to restore constitutional order without delay and protect all lives and property,” it said.

    [youtube https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M4vVaXRvuWw]

    The statement comes after President Alpha Conde was arrested from the Guinean Presidential palace by the military’s special forces, led by Lieutenant-Colonel Mamady Doumbouya.

    The coup is reportedly a fallout of a political crisis that erupted when President Conde, who has been in office since December 2010, changed the constitution to allow him to stay in office for a third term.

    • UN chief, Guterres condemns Guinea coup

    In accordance to the new law, Conde’s salary was also increased, which instigated a civil unrest in the West African country.

    “We have decided, after having taken the president, to dissolve the constitution,” a uniformed officer flanked by soldiers wielding assault rifles was quoted as saying in a video.

    The soldier announced that Guinea’s land and air borders have been shut and that the government had been dissolved.

    Thereafter, the head of Guinea’s military special forces, Lt. Col.Doumbouya, was said to have appeared on public television.

    Guinea President Alpha Condé detained by special forces
    Guinea President Alpha Condé detained by special forces

    Wrapped in the country’s flag, Doumbouya revealed that his action was triggered by “mismanagement” by the government.

    “We are no longer going to entrust politics to one man, we are going to entrust politics to the people,” the coup leader said. “Guinea is beautiful. We don’t need to rape Guinea anymore; we just need to make love to her.”

    There has been lingering political tension in Guinea, first spurred by the bid for a third term by President Conde’s in 2020.

    Another video sent to AFP showed a rumpled-looking President Conde sitting on a sofa, surrounded by troops.

    The 83-year-old who survived an assassination attempt in 2011 refused to answer a question from a soldier about whether he was being mistreated while in their custody.

    Sunday’s incident in Guinea has continued to attract condemnation and criticism, one of which was the reaction of UN Secretary-General Antonio Guterres who asked the putschists to release Conde.

    “I am personally following the situation in Guinea very closely,” he said in a social media post. “I strongly condemn any takeover of the government by force of the gun and call for the immediate release of President Alpha Conde.”

    Share. Facebook Twitter Telegram WhatsApp

    Keep Reading

    Pope Leo XIV arrives in Algeria for historic visit promoting interfaith dialogue

    Pope Leo blasts firms profiting from environmental pollution

    El-Rufai court bail hearing in Abuja with strict DSS reporting and surety conditions outlined by the Federal High Court.

    Aichatou El-Rufai demands N2bn from ICPC over ‘wife of a defendant’ remark

    Ireti Kingibe slams Wike, says ‘he’s out of touch, fuelling resentment in Abuja’

    2027: Ireti Kingibe wins ADC FCT Senate ticket

    A sacrificial albino buffalo named after US President Donald Trump which recently went viral, is pictured at an agro farm ahead of Eid-al-Adha, in Narayanganj, Bangladesh.

    Bangladesh’s ‘Donald Trump’ buffalo becomes Eid al-Adha attraction

    EFCC anti-corruption infographic condemning leaders who loot public funds to buy private jets.

    EFCC warns leaders against looting public funds for luxury lifestyles

    Tinubu vows end to Plateau killings, orders 5,000-camera surveillance in Jos

    Tinubu to receive APC presidential ticket, flag on Sunday

    Subscribe to News

    Be the first to get the latest news updates from ChronicleNG about world, sports, politics etc

    Pope Leo XIV arrives in Algeria for historic visit promoting interfaith dialogue

    Pope Leo blasts firms profiting from environmental pollution

    May 24, 2026
    El-Rufai court bail hearing in Abuja with strict DSS reporting and surety conditions outlined by the Federal High Court.

    Aichatou El-Rufai demands N2bn from ICPC over ‘wife of a defendant’ remark

    May 24, 2026
    Ireti Kingibe slams Wike, says ‘he’s out of touch, fuelling resentment in Abuja’

    2027: Ireti Kingibe wins ADC FCT Senate ticket

    May 24, 2026
    Usyk retains titles with controversial win against Verhoeven

    Usyk retains titles with controversial win against Verhoeven

    May 24, 2026
    A sacrificial albino buffalo named after US President Donald Trump which recently went viral, is pictured at an agro farm ahead of Eid-al-Adha, in Narayanganj, Bangladesh.

    Bangladesh’s ‘Donald Trump’ buffalo becomes Eid al-Adha attraction

    May 24, 2026
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    • Politics
    • News
    • Sports
    • Business
    • About Us
    © 2026 ChronicleNG

    Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.