Close Menu
Chronicle NG
    Trending Stories
    The Senate Committee on Diaspora and Non-Governmental Organisations has voiced alarm about the growing trend of Nigerians travelling abroad

    Senate condemns Oyo abduction, demands immediate action

    May 18, 2026
    Seyi Makinde addressing supporters during the PDP–APM Alliance rally in Ibadan where he declared his 2027 presidential ambition.

    Makinde confirms seven teachers abducted, one killed in Oyo

    May 18, 2026
    Principal of Community High School, Esinele, appeals for help in a viral video after gunmen abducted teachers and students in Oyo State

    Oyo principal, nursing mother cry for help in kidnappers den

    May 18, 2026
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    Trending
    • Senate condemns Oyo abduction, demands immediate action
    • Makinde confirms seven teachers abducted, one killed in Oyo
    • Oyo principal, nursing mother cry for help in kidnappers den
    • IGP visits Oyo communities after school attack, orders intensified rescue operations
    • Nigeria denies US ground troop role in killing of ISIS leader Al-Minuki
    • ‘Shamed into action’, Atiku slams FG’s response to South Africa xenophobic attacks
    • WHO declares DR Congo, Uganda Ebola outbreak global health emergency
    • 65 dead as DR Congo confirms new Ebola outbreak
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    Chronicle NGChronicle NG
    Subscribe
    Monday, May 18
    • News
      • Nigeria News
      • World News
      • Headlines News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Sport
    • Entertainment
    • Contact Us
    Chronicle NG

    Edo 2024: Hotel cancels Shaibu venue booking to forestall governorship bid

    Opalim LiftedBy Opalim LiftedNovember 27, 2023No Comments2 Mins Read
    Facebook Twitter Telegram WhatsApp
    Philip Shaibu kneels before Oshiomhole as he dumps PDP for APC
    Philip Shaibu, reinstated Edo State Deputy Governor
    Facebook Twitter WhatsApp

    Ahead of Edo State deputy governor Philip Shaibu’s formal declaration of his governorship ambition on Monday, Eterno Hotels in Benin City cancelled his booking to use the hotel.

    The hotel management contacted Shaibu to inform him that the space was no longer available for his use and refunded his money. Eterno was said to have told the Shaibu group that another group, ‘Obaseki finishing well group,’ had paid for the same venue.

    Eterno Hotels, located in the Government Reserved Area, Benin, is owned by a prominent chieftain of the Peoples Democratic Party in the state.

    One of the Edo State Deputy Governor’s loyalists, who asked not to be named, told our correspondent that: “We found it very preposterous that we were contacted by the hotel management that a group had paid for the same venue for a programme slated for 7 a.m. on the same date.

    “We know where this is coming from. Whatever their plans to frustrate our declaration, they will definitely fail. They are jittery over Shaibu’s declaration and popularity.”

    Chronicle NG reports that Shaibu’s governorship ambition has pitted him against his principal, Governor Godwin Obaseki, who is believed to be working to pick someone else to succeed him.

    • Shaibu dares Obaseki, insist he has experience, capacity to lead Edo

    At the height of the crisis, the Deputy Governor dragged Obaseki and the state House of Assembly to court, seeking an order to stop them from impeaching him.

    Obaseki, on his part, had openly accused his deputy of being overambitious.

    Though his deputy later apologized, and the latter said he had forgiven him, the Edo State Government relocated Edo deputy governor’s office out of the government house.

    Last week, Shaibu’s camp said the deputy governor would this week formally declare his intention to run for the 2024 Edo State governorship election.

    A ‘Special Invitation’ dated November 23, 2023, which the Philip Shaibu Campaign Organisation made available to newsmen last week, read: “On behalf of Rt. Hon. Comrade Philip Shaibu Campaign Organisation, I invite you to honour me with your esteemed presence as I offer myself to serve as the Chief Servant (Governor) of Edo State.”

    The letter stated that the event would take place at the Eterno Hotels on Monday, November 27, at 8 a.m.

    Share. Facebook Twitter Telegram WhatsApp

    Keep Reading

    The Senate Committee on Diaspora and Non-Governmental Organisations has voiced alarm about the growing trend of Nigerians travelling abroad

    Senate condemns Oyo abduction, demands immediate action

    Seyi Makinde addressing supporters during the PDP–APM Alliance rally in Ibadan where he declared his 2027 presidential ambition.

    Makinde confirms seven teachers abducted, one killed in Oyo

    Principal of Community High School, Esinele, appeals for help in a viral video after gunmen abducted teachers and students in Oyo State

    Oyo principal, nursing mother cry for help in kidnappers den

    IGP Olatunji Disu meeting security officials and residents in Oriire, Oyo State, after a deadly school attack and abductions.

    IGP visits Oyo communities after school attack, orders intensified rescue operations

    Nigerian troops during counter-terrorism operations in Borno State after the killing of ISIS commander Abu Bilal Al-Minuki.

    Nigeria denies US ground troop role in killing of ISIS leader Al-Minuki

    Former Vice President Atiku Abubakar criticising Nigeria’s response to xenophobic attacks against Nigerians in South Africa.

    ‘Shamed into action’, Atiku slams FG’s response to South Africa xenophobic attacks

    Subscribe to News

    Be the first to get the latest news updates from ChronicleNG about world, sports, politics etc

    The Senate Committee on Diaspora and Non-Governmental Organisations has voiced alarm about the growing trend of Nigerians travelling abroad

    Senate condemns Oyo abduction, demands immediate action

    May 18, 2026
    Seyi Makinde addressing supporters during the PDP–APM Alliance rally in Ibadan where he declared his 2027 presidential ambition.

    Makinde confirms seven teachers abducted, one killed in Oyo

    May 18, 2026
    Principal of Community High School, Esinele, appeals for help in a viral video after gunmen abducted teachers and students in Oyo State

    Oyo principal, nursing mother cry for help in kidnappers den

    May 18, 2026
    IGP Olatunji Disu meeting security officials and residents in Oriire, Oyo State, after a deadly school attack and abductions.

    IGP visits Oyo communities after school attack, orders intensified rescue operations

    May 18, 2026
    Nigerian troops during counter-terrorism operations in Borno State after the killing of ISIS commander Abu Bilal Al-Minuki.

    Nigeria denies US ground troop role in killing of ISIS leader Al-Minuki

    May 18, 2026
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    • Politics
    • News
    • Sports
    • Business
    • About Us
    © 2026 ChronicleNG

    Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.