Close Menu
Chronicle NG
    Trending Stories
    Land-grabbing thugs popularly called "Omo Onile" have demolished over 50 buildings in the Surulere community of Lagos State.

    Political thugs disrupt Ondo APC primary collation

    May 18, 2026
    Senate : SERAP demands Akpabio publish names in N200tn NNPCL probe

    Akpabio emerges APC senatorial candidate for Akwa Ibom north west

    May 18, 2026
    Peter Obi has expressed condolences to former Kaduna State governor Mallam Nasir El-Rufai on the death of his mother, Hajiya Umma El-Rufai.

    El-Rufai: Family kicks as DSS picks ex-gov after court grants bail

    May 18, 2026
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    Trending
    • Political thugs disrupt Ondo APC primary collation
    • Akpabio emerges APC senatorial candidate for Akwa Ibom north west
    • El-Rufai: Family kicks as DSS picks ex-gov after court grants bail
    • Yahaya Bello wins APC Kogi central senate primary
    • Fire outbreak razes Abuja national hospital
    • Robert Lewandowski to leave Barcelona at end of season
    • Dani Carvajal leaves Real Madrid after 23 years
    • APC disqualifies Ben Bruce, 46 others from senatorial race
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    Chronicle NGChronicle NG
    Subscribe
    Monday, May 18
    • News
      • Nigeria News
      • World News
      • Headlines News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Sport
    • Entertainment
    • Contact Us
    Chronicle NG

    DSS arraigns El-Rufai for ‘intercepting’ Ribadu’s phone conversation

    Opalim LiftedBy Opalim LiftedApril 25, 2026No Comments2 Mins Read
    Facebook Twitter Telegram WhatsApp
    Nasir El-Rufai appears in Abuja court over alleged illegal interception of Nuhu Ribadu’s phone conversation.
    Former Governor of Kaduna Nasir El-Rufai
    Facebook Twitter WhatsApp

    The Department of State Services (DSS) has arraigned Nasir El-Rufai for allegedly accessing the telephone conversation of Nuhu Ribadu, the National Security Adviser (NSA).

    The former Minister of the Federal Capital Territory (FCT) is being prosecuted on a five-count amended charge before a federal high court in Abuja.

    At the commencement of proceedings on Thursday, the prosecution informed the court that the charge had been amended from three to five counts.

    Consequently, Joyce Abdulmalik, the presiding judge, struck out the previous charges.

    El-Rufai pleaded not guilty to the five-count amended charge.

    Bail Application Stalled

    After El-Rufai pleaded not guilty, Oluwole Aladeloye, counsel to the DSS, requested trial dates.

     

    Objecting, Oluwole Iyamu, counsel to El-Rufai, said he needed to consult with his client, who had been in the custody of multiple security agencies.

    Iyamu told the court that a bail application had been filed on February 17 and that a further affidavit was recently submitted.

    However, Abdulmalik said the further affidavit was not in her docket.

    The judge stated that Iyamu should have exercised due diligence in filing the process rather than engaging in “Nollywood theatrics” involving camera personnel in her courtroom.

    The defence counsel said he did not invite the camera personnel.

    The judge then stood down the matter to allow the issue of the further affidavit to be resolved.

    Background

    In February, during an interview on Prime Time, an Arise Television programme, El-Rufai alleged that someone had wiretapped Ribadu’s phone, enabling him to listen to the NSA instruct security operatives to arrest him.

    He said: “He made the call because we listened to their calls. The government thinks they are the only ones who listen to calls, but we also have our ways. He made the call and gave the order.

    “Someone tapped his phone. The government listens to our calls all the time without a court order. Someone tapped his phone and told us that he gave the order.”

    Share. Facebook Twitter Telegram WhatsApp

    Keep Reading

    Land-grabbing thugs popularly called "Omo Onile" have demolished over 50 buildings in the Surulere community of Lagos State.

    Political thugs disrupt Ondo APC primary collation

    Senate : SERAP demands Akpabio publish names in N200tn NNPCL probe

    Akpabio emerges APC senatorial candidate for Akwa Ibom north west

    Peter Obi has expressed condolences to former Kaduna State governor Mallam Nasir El-Rufai on the death of his mother, Hajiya Umma El-Rufai.

    El-Rufai: Family kicks as DSS picks ex-gov after court grants bail

    Gunmen in military uniform attacked Yahaya Bello - Kogi Government

    Yahaya Bello wins APC Kogi central senate primary

    Fire razes TASUED hostel

    Fire outbreak razes Abuja national hospital

    APC) has announced the names of 47 senatorial aspirants who were not cleared to participate in its Senate primary elections ahead of the 2027 general elections.

    APC disqualifies Ben Bruce, 46 others from senatorial race

    Subscribe to News

    Be the first to get the latest news updates from ChronicleNG about world, sports, politics etc

    Land-grabbing thugs popularly called "Omo Onile" have demolished over 50 buildings in the Surulere community of Lagos State.

    Political thugs disrupt Ondo APC primary collation

    May 18, 2026
    Senate : SERAP demands Akpabio publish names in N200tn NNPCL probe

    Akpabio emerges APC senatorial candidate for Akwa Ibom north west

    May 18, 2026
    Peter Obi has expressed condolences to former Kaduna State governor Mallam Nasir El-Rufai on the death of his mother, Hajiya Umma El-Rufai.

    El-Rufai: Family kicks as DSS picks ex-gov after court grants bail

    May 18, 2026
    Gunmen in military uniform attacked Yahaya Bello - Kogi Government

    Yahaya Bello wins APC Kogi central senate primary

    May 18, 2026
    Fire razes TASUED hostel

    Fire outbreak razes Abuja national hospital

    May 18, 2026
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    • Politics
    • News
    • Sports
    • Business
    • About Us
    © 2026 ChronicleNG

    Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.