- Victoria Oluwakotanmi crowned Miss Grand USA 2026
- Eid ul Mawlid: FG declares Tuesday public holiday
- Kompany reveals medication adjustment caused Musiala’s collapse
- Diddy could face Tupac murder charges if Keffe D is convicted
- Ronaldinho joins Ravenna FC, teases 300th career goal
- Kane ready for Bayern contract talks
- Diomande shows Mourinho love, says ‘I’ll die for him’
- Oyedele explains why World Bank loan critics are ‘wasting energy’
Author: Vincent Osuwo
Terrorists have kidnapped Oba Simeon Olaonipekun, the Aniwo 1 of Aafin village, Ile-Ire District, Ifelodun Local Government Area, Kwara State, and one of his sons, Olaolu, who is now serving in the National Youth Service Corps. According to reports, the terrorists’ attack occurred late on Wednesday night, New Year’s Eve, when a group of about eight shooters allegedly stormed the palace about 8 p.m., shooting intermittently and demanding to meet the monarch and his wife. A family member who was inside the palace when the attack occurred told The PUNCH by phone on Thursday that pandemonium erupted when the perpetrators…
The Senate President, Senator Godswill Akpabio, has instructed his lawyers to withdraw all ongoing defamation lawsuits against several individuals, saying he was moved by counsel during a New Year Mass. Speaking at the Sacred Heart Parish in Uyo on Thursday, Akpabio stated that he had filed nearly nine lawsuits against individuals he accused of defaming him. He said, “I had almost nine cases in court against some individuals who defamed me, who lied against me, who slandered my name. “But I listened to the priest and suddenly realized he was talking to me, so I hereby direct my solicitor to…
A faction of the African Democratic Congress (ADC), led by its National Chairman, Nafiu Gombe, distanced itself on Thursday from the reported defection and registration of former Labour Party presidential candidate Peter Obi at its Enugu zone office. The section, which described itself as the ADC’s legitimate national leadership, said that the exercise violated the party’s constitution and membership procedures. Chronicle NG reports that Obi announced his defection to the ADC at a function organized at the Nike Lake Resort in Enugu State. During the event, the former Anambra State governor urged Nigerians and opposition groups to establish a wide…
Equatorial Guinea captain Carlos Akapo and teammate Josete Miranda have been suspended for four games for insulting the referee following their 1-0 loss to Sudan at the 2025 Africa Cup of Nations (AFCON). A Confederation of African Football (CAF) disciplinary panel made the decision after reviewing the referee’s report from Sunday’s Group E match, which resulted in the National Thunder’s departure from the competition. Messie Jessie Nkounkou Mvoutou, the referee, alleged that the two players “repeatedly uttered insulting and obscene remarks” against him and his assistants after the final whistle. “These remarks were made in a context of intense anger…
The Labour Party’s National Working Committee, chaired by Julius Abure, has hailed the defection of its 2023 presidential candidate, Peter Obi, to the African Democratic Congress as a “liberation” for the party, expressing remorse over nominating him as its flagbearer in the last general election. The party’s National Publicity Secretary, Obiora Ifoh confirmed this in a statement made in Abuja on Wednesday, only hours after Obi formally declared his defection in Enugu. According to the LP leadership, Obi’s departure only confirmed a political split that had already occurred months earlier during the party’s long-running leadership crisis. “The leadership of the…
Nyesom Wike, the Minister of the Federal Capital Territory, has accused Rivers State Governor Siminalayi Fubara of breaking an agreement mediated by President Bola Tinubu to end the state’s political crisis. Wike made the claim on Wednesday during a thank-you visit to the people of Tai Local Government Area in Rivers State, where he promised to make public the contents of the agreement reached with the President. The agreement came after a closed-door meeting convened by Tinubu at the State House in Abuja in June 2025, which included Wike and Fubara, as part of efforts to end the prolonged power…
A part of a private rice mill in the Birnin Kebbi metropolis collapsed, killing one employee and trapping five others under the facility’s metal wreckage. After receiving the information, the Kebbi State Deputy Governor visited the scene and ordered immediate rescue attempts, which are still underway, to free the five trapped people. The Kebbi State Government has sent its heartfelt condolences to the management and employees of NIA-AGRI following the partial collapse of a piece of its rice mill in the state capital. Deputy Governor Senator Umar Abubakar Tafida, who led a high-level team on an on-the-spot assessment visit to…
Peter Obi, the presidential candidate of the Labour Party in the 2023 presidential election, has officially joined the coalition-backed African Democratic Congress (ADC). Obi announced his defection from the Labour Party in Enugu on Wednesday, December 31. The former governor of Anambra stated that his defection ahead of the 2027 election is aimed at transforming and rescuing Nigeria. “We are ending this year with the hope that in 2026 we will begin a rescue journey,” he declared. “We will resist rigging of the election by every lawful means in 2027,” he added. Obi also asked opposition leaders to work together…
The Adamawa State Government has cancelled the “Cross Over Night” festivities set on December 31 at the Unity Flyover in Jimeta, Yola, the state capital. Humwashi Wonosikou, Chief Press Secretary to Governor Ahmadu Fintiri, announced the announcement in a statement released to the media on Wednesday. Wonosikou indicated that the crossover event was cancelled for citizens’ safety and security, and that additional details would be provided as needed. “The Adamawa State Government has cancelled all activities planned for the Cross Over Night on Dec. 31, 2025, to Jan. 1, 2026, at the Unity Fly-Over in Jimeta, Yola. “The safety and…
Guinea’s junta chief, Mamady Doumbouya, who had promised not to run for office after seizing power four years ago, has been elected president after securing a sweeping majority of the vote. Doumbouya, 41, contended with eight opponents for the presidency, yet the primary opposition figures were prohibited from participating and had called for a boycott of the election conducted over the weekend. In standing, the general broke his original promise not to seek office and to return the mineral-rich yet impoverished West African nation to civilian governance by the end of 2024. He obtained 86.72 percent of the initial round…











