- Cameroon thrash Malawi 3-0 to win 2026 WAFCON
- 5.0m Granada earthquake shakes Spain, damages buildings
- Police nab Kogi man for setting wife ablaze
- Odegaard believes Arsenal will win more titles
- Ronaldo plans retirement, aims to set amazing legacy
- Arsenal thrash Man City 3-0 to win Community Shield
- ICPC uncovers 900 ghost workers, govt official collecting salaries for 14 relatives
- Obi: Osun election shows democracy strongest when citizens are vigilant
Author: Opalim Lifted
The Nigeria Democratic Congress (NDC) has extended the deadline for the collection of Expression of Interest Forms for aspirants seeking elective positions ahead of the 2027 general elections. The party said the deadline, earlier fixed for 6:00 p.m. on Sunday, May 17, 2026, has now been extended to midnight on Sunday, May 24, 2026. According to the party, the extension covers aspirants contesting for State Houses of Assembly, House of Representatives, Senate and Governorship positions. In a statement signed by the party’s National Secretary, Ikenna Morgan Enekweizu, and shared via the party’s X account on Monday, the move was aimed…
Arsenal’s 22-year wait for the Premier League title is over after rivals Manchester City drew at Bournemouth, in what is expected to be Pep Guardiola’s penultimate game in charge. Tuesday’s result on the south coast leaves Mikel Arteta’s men four points clear of City before the final round of games take place on Sunday, with the Gunners set to lift the trophy at Crystal Palace. Build-up to this game had been overshadowed by dramatic reports that Guardiola is set to step down as City manager at the end of this season. He told television broadcasters before the game that speculation…
The Democratic Republic of Congo (DRC) says the ongoing Ebola outbreak has led to 513 suspected cases and 131 deaths across affected communities. Speaking on Monday, Congo’s Health Minister, Samuel Roger Kamba, said the figures relate to the spread of the Bundibugyo strain of the Ebola virus in Ituri Province. Kamba explained that investigations were still ongoing to confirm how many of the recorded deaths were directly linked to Ebola. “These are suspected deaths, and investigations are underway to determine which ones are actually linked to the disease,” he said. According to the minister, six areas including Mongbwalu and Rwampara…
More than 20 ISIS/ISWAP fighters have been killed in a series of coordinated air strikes carried out by Nigerian and United States forces in Metele, Borno State, according to Nigeria’s Defence Headquarters (DHQ). The operation, announced on Monday, followed what the military described as the “observed convergence and migration of terrorist elements” in the area. Major General Samaila Uba, director of defence information at the DHQ, said the strikes were part of ongoing counter-terrorism operations targeting extremist networks in the North-East. “The ongoing operations follow the neutralisation of ISIS commander Abu-Bilal al-Minuki and are part of sustained efforts to disrupt…
The Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC) has arrested former Minister of Power Saleh Mamman weeks after he was convicted and sentenced in absentia over corruption charges. EFCC chairman Ola Olukoyede disclosed on Tuesday that Mamman was apprehended around 3:30 a.m. in Rigasa area of Kaduna State. Mamman was convicted on May 7 on all 12 counts filed against him by the anti-graft agency and sentenced to a total of 75 years imprisonment by Justice James Omotosho of the Federal High Court. The court sentenced him to seven years each on 10 counts, while counts four and five attracted three…
Lagos lawmaker, Desmond Elliot has explained why he supported the attempted impeachment of Mudashiru Obasa in January 2025, saying lawmakers acted under the belief that the move had the backing of President Bola Tinubu. Speaking on Channels TV, the Surulere Constituency I representative said he was outside Nigeria when the crisis unfolded. According to Elliot, he and his wife travelled to South Africa on January 13, 2025, and he only became aware of the impeachment plot after it had already gathered momentum. “I would like to state categorically that I wasn’t in the country. My wife and I travelled during…
The Independent Media and Policy Initiative (IMPI) has stated that Nigeria has recorded its highest level of capital spending in decades under President Bola Tinubu, estimating expenditure at about $8 billion within a single fiscal cycle. In a policy assessment, the think tank said no administration since 1999 had matched the scale of capital allocation recently achieved, noting that sustained underinvestment over the years has deepened the country’s infrastructure gap. IMPI explained that the level of spending reflects a shift in fiscal priorities, as successive governments have struggled to balance recurrent expenditure with long-term investment in roads, power, rail, healthcare…
Togo has announced a new visa-free entry policy for citizens of all African countries, allowing short stays of up to 30 days without a visa. The Togolese Ministry of Security announced on Tuesday, via an official statement posted on its X account, that the policy had been unveiled. The government said the move is aimed at strengthening African integration, improving mobility across the continent, and positioning Togo as a hub for cooperation and opportunity in Africa. Under the new arrangement, African nationals holding valid passports can now enter Togo without obtaining a visa in advance for visits lasting up to…
Former Vice President Yemi Osinbajo has called for a major rethink of charity and philanthropy in Nigeria and across Africa, urging wealthy individuals, organisations and governments to focus on long-term solutions that tackle the root causes of poverty. Speaking at the inaugural memorial lecture held in honour of the late HRH Igwe Vincent Onyekelu Ilo in Enugu, Osinbajo said charity alone cannot transform society if the structures that create hardship remain untouched. In his lecture titled “Charity as a Catalyst for Social Change: Moving from Philanthropy to Sustainable Social Impact,” the former vice president explained that charity provides immediate relief…
Enzo Maresca is set to replace Pep Guardiola as Manchester City manager before next season. As BBC Sport reported on Monday, iconic City boss Guardiola is expected to leave the club following this Sunday’s home game against Aston Villa at Etihad Stadium, their final game of the season. Former Chelsea head coach Maresca has been identified as the leading contender to replace the legendary Spaniard for the 2026-27 season. With City preparing for Guardiola’s summer exit for more than six months, talks with Maresca are at an advanced stage. The 46-year-old wants the job and is expected to be confirmed…












