- Cameroon thrash Malawi 3-0 to win 2026 WAFCON
- 5.0m Granada earthquake shakes Spain, damages buildings
- Police nab Kogi man for setting wife ablaze
- Odegaard believes Arsenal will win more titles
- Ronaldo plans retirement, aims to set amazing legacy
- Arsenal thrash Man City 3-0 to win Community Shield
- ICPC uncovers 900 ghost workers, govt official collecting salaries for 14 relatives
- Obi: Osun election shows democracy strongest when citizens are vigilant
Author: Opalim Lifted
Former Vice President Atiku Abubakar has criticised the federal government’s response to renewed anti-immigrant tensions in South Africa. At least two Nigerians have been killed since anti-foreigner tensions intensified in South Africa last month. In a statement issued on Sunday by Phrank Shaibu, his senior special assistant on public communication, Atiku said it was embarrassing that Nigeria appeared to have been “shamed into action” while smaller African countries moved swiftly to protect their citizens. The former vice president said the government of Ghana had demonstrated urgency by approving the evacuation of more than 300 distressed citizens following the latest wave…
The World Health Organization (WHO) has declared the Ebola outbreak in the Democratic Republic of the Congo and Uganda a public health emergency of international concern. In a statement issued on Saturday, the WHO said the outbreak does not yet meet the threshold for a pandemic emergency under the International Health Regulations. The agency said the declaration followed consultations with authorities in DR Congo and Uganda over the escalating spread of the virus and the risk of cross-border transmission. According to the WHO, as of Saturday, eight laboratory-confirmed cases, 246 suspected cases, and 80 suspected deaths had been recorded in…
An Ebola outbreak in north-eastern Democratic Republic of the Congo has killed 65 people, with at least 246 suspected cases reported in Ituri province, according to the Africa Centres for Disease Control and Prevention. Health officials said the outbreak has been detected mainly in Mongwalu and Rwampara health zones, with additional suspected cases reported in Bunia awaiting confirmation. Laboratory analysis by the Institut National de Recherche Biomédicale (INRB) found evidence of the Ebola virus in 13 out of 20 samples tested. Preliminary findings suggest a non-Zaire strain, with full genetic sequencing still ongoing to determine the exact variant. Four confirmed…
The National Agency for Food and Drug Administration and Control (NAFDAC) has alerted the public to the circulation of counterfeit Augmentin 625mg tablets in Nigeria. In a recent statement, the agency said the alert followed complaints received by GlaxoSmithKline (GSK), the genuine manufacturer of Augmentin, over suspected fake versions of the product in circulation. According to NAFDAC, GSK confirmed the product was counterfeit after reviewing “documentary evidence, photographs, and a video from social media.” “Although the product shared the same batch number as authentic stock previously supplied to Nigeria, it exhibited inconsistent manufacturing and expiry dates, indicating that it had…
The Oyo State Universal Basic Education Board has ordered the closure of schools in parts of Oyo State following the abduction of students and a school principal in Oriire Local Government Area. The incident occurred on Friday at Community High School, Ahoro-Esinle, where gunmen reportedly attacked the school between 8am and 9am. According to reports, the attackers abducted the principal alongside several students during the raid. In response, OYOSUBEB directed all primary schools in neighbouring communities across Oriire, Surulere, Oyo East and Olorunsogo LGAs to shut down indefinitely over security concerns. Nureni Adeniran, executive chairman of OYOSUBEB, said the attack…
Chelsea have officially appointed Xabi Alonso as the club’s new manager on a four-year contract, with the Spaniard set to begin work at Stamford Bridge on July 1, 2026. The appointment was confirmed by Chelsea FC following days of intense speculation surrounding the former Real Madrid and Bayer Leverkusen boss. Alonso arrives in west London after a turbulent spell at Real Madrid, where he lasted less than a year despite previously earning widespread praise for leading Bayer Leverkusen to an unbeaten Bundesliga title-winning campaign in 2023/24. Chelsea’s hierarchy reportedly views Alonso as the ideal figure to rebuild stability after another…
The Socio-Economic Rights and Accountability Project (SERAP) has called on the Chairman of the Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC), Joash Amupitan, to investigate allegations that governors elected on the platform of the All Progressives Congress diverted N800 billion for political and campaign activities. In a letter dated May 16, 2026, and signed by SERAP Deputy Director, Kolawole Oluwadare, the organisation urged INEC to conduct a “prompt, thorough, impartial, independent, transparent and effective” investigation into the allegations. SERAP also asked the electoral body to demand full disclosure from the governors and the APC regarding alleged contributions made to a dedicated campaign…
A three-storey building under construction in Durumi 3 near Gudu Market in Abuja has collapsed, leaving at least five people dead and several others injured. Emergency officials confirmed that the incident occurred on Saturday morning, with construction workers believed to have been on site at the time of the collapse. Lere Olayinka, spokesperson to the Minister of the Federal Capital Territory (FCT), Nyesom Wike, said 10 people sustained injuries, while one person was rescued alive after spending more than nine hours trapped under the rubble. Rescue operations are still ongoing, with emergency responders working to evacuate additional victims suspected to…
French authorities have arrested six people accused of hanging a Palestinian flag from the Eiffel Tower without permission. According to a police source, the arrests followed Friday’s action by climate activist group Extinction Rebellion France, which claimed responsibility for draping the large Palestinian flag from the monument’s first floor. The group said the protest was intended as a “message of support” for Palestinians amid the ongoing war in Gaza. Activists accused Israel of carrying out “massacres” in Gaza and committing environmental destruction, including the uprooting of olive trees on Palestinian land. The demonstration coincided with Nakba Day, the annual commemoration…
Defence Headquarters (DHQ) says the use of similar aliases among Boko Haram and ISWAP commanders led to public confusion over reports surrounding the death of Abu-Bilal Al-Minuki. The clarification followed renewed debate after the military announced that Al-Minuki was killed during a joint operation involving Nigerian troops and the United States Africa Command on May 16, 2026. Questions emerged after old reports resurfaced online claiming that a terrorist commander bearing the same name had already been killed in 2024. In a statement, Major General Samaila Uba, director of defence information, said insurgent groups in the North-East and Lake Chad Basin…











