- Nigerian actor Ogogo to be buried Monday
- Nigerian actor Taiwo Hassan ‘Ogogo’ is dead
- Man City score late winner to beat Bournemouth 2-1
- Brighton humiliate Aston Villa in stunning 4-0 win
- Publish political donation limits for 2027 elections, SERAP tells INEC
- Troops dismantle IPOB/ESN camps, recovers IEDs in Anambra
- Obi urges FG to end terrorism before Nigeria becomes ‘killing field’
- Tinubu’s fuel policy fills govt coffers, hurts Nigerians — Duke
Author: Opalim Lifted
The high court of the Federal Capital Territory sitting in Abuja has ordered the Department of State Service to allow counsel to the suspended Governor of the Central Bank of Nigeria, Godwin Emefiele, access to him. The presiding judge, Justice Hamza Muazu, granted the interim order in an ex-parte motion brought before the tribunal by Godwin Emefiele as an applicant. The order of the court is based on the fundamental rights of the applicant, who is presently in the custody of the DSS. The matter has been adjourned to June 20, 2023, for the commencement of the substantive suit.
Enugu Police Command has arrested a suspect, Augustine Akor, 21, for allegedly raping and strangling to death his 16-year-old female relative, Faith Akuji. In a statement issued by the command’s spokesman, DSP Daniel Ndukwe, on Friday in Enugu. He said the incident happened on June 8 in a bush at Mpole-Ubere in the Ette community, within the Igbo-Eze North Local Government Area of the state. It took the combined efforts of police operatives serving in the Igbo-Eze North Division of the Command, with assistance from the Neighbourhood Watch Group, to track Akor and arrest him on June 12 at about…
Treble winners Manchester City will kick off their 2023–24 season against Arsenal on Aug. 6 in the Community Shield, the traditional curtain-raiser to the Premier League season, England’s Football Association said on Friday. Community Shield: Darwin strikes as Liverpool beat Man City With City winning both the league and FA Cup, league runners-up Arsenal will play the English champions as the game returns to Wembley. Arsenal finished five points behind City in the league. Last year’s game between City and Liverpool was played at Leicester City’s King Power Stadium as the women’s European Championship final was scheduled over the same…
Arsenal’s pursuit of Chelsea forward Kai Havertz is starting to gather pace, according to reports. Arsenal have made a proposal to sign Havertz during the summer transfer window. Arsenal favourite to sign Havertz, Man Utd end Kane pursuit The 24-year-old has struggled at times at Chelsea, but there’s undoubtedly a talented player there. The German international has been linked with a move away from Stamford Bridge over the last few weeks. It won’t be a cheap deal for the Gunners after Chelsea signed Havertz from Bayer Leverkusen for a fee of £71 million. It’s understood that it could cost Gunners…
Pope Francis was discharged from the hospital on Friday morning, nine days after surgery to repair an abdominal hernia, and his doctor said he was stronger than before. The 86-year-old pontiff left Rome’s Gemelli hospital in a wheelchair, waving to reporters and well-wishers at the main entrance as he was taken to a waiting car. Pope Francis undergoes abdomen operation “The pope is well. He is in better shape than before,” Sergio Alfieri, who operated on Francis on June 7, told reporters. Alfieri said the pope was well enough to travel. Francis travels to Portugal at the start of August…
The National Basketball Association (NBA) has suspended Memphis Grizzlies guard Ja Morant for 25 games without pay after finding he “intentionally and prominently” displayed a firearm in a live-streamed video on May 13. The two-time All-Star was previously suspended for eight games in March after he appeared in another social media video holding a firearm at a nightclub. The Grizzlies suspended Morant from team activities in May over the latest incident, in which he appeared to pose with a firearm in a car, conduct that the NBA found to be “detrimental to the league.” “Ja Morant’s decision to once again…
South Africa’s President Cyril Ramaphosa leads the seven African leaders travelling to Ukraine and Russia on a peace mission, hoping to work towards ending the war, which has badly affected living standards across the continent. The delegation from South Africa, Egypt, Senegal, Congo-Brazzaville, Comoros, Zambia, and Uganda is meeting President Volodymyr Zelensky on Friday and President Vladimir Putin on Saturday. But the timing of the visit seems off. It comes just as Kyiv is launching its much-vaunted counteroffensive. So, what can this mission actually achieve? South Africa’s President Cyril Ramaphosa offered no timeline or proposals when he made the announcement…
The Bola Tinubu administration started with several expectations as suspense filled the atmosphere with political petitions, appointments, elections, and probings nationwide. Also, the security agencies have been busy handling the ongoing official investigation of the last administration that concerns ministers and appointees. At least eight ministers who served under former President Muhammadu Buhari have been invited over allegations bordering on corruption, according to an Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC) source. The invitation letters, it was learned, requested the former top government officials to come and explain how they spent funds allocated to their ministries on some designated projects when…
English football club Man United is negotiating granting exclusivity to the consortium led by Qatar’s Sheikh Jassim bin Hamad al-Thani in talks to sell itself for more than $6 billion, people familiar with the matter said on Thursday. While a deal remains uncertain, the development represents a major milestone in the efforts of Sheikh Jassim, the son of Qatar’s former prime minister and one of the richest men in the Gulf state, to take over the iconic sports brand. Members of the Glazer family, who own minority stakes in Man United and control it thanks to a dual-class share structure,…
The United States Secretary of State, Antony Blinken, stated Thursday that human trafficking of boys and young men frequently goes unnoticed globally, resulting in “devastating” effects. Blinken stated during the release of the 2023 Trafficking in Persons Report that boys and young men are a “often overlooked segment of trafficking victims.” He referenced United Nations (UN) figures showing a five-fold increase in the proportion of trafficking victims who are boys between 2004 and 2020. The study covers 188 countries’ efforts to combat human trafficking and divides them into four levels based on their efforts: Tier 1, Tier 2, Tier 2…











