- Five die, 10 injured as buildings collapse in Kano
- Gunmen attack six Benue communities, kill many residents
- Obasanjo tells Adeleke to continue good governance in Osun
- Many feared dead as gunmen attack Plateau, destroy 45 houses
- REVEALED: Why Edo assembly removed Agbebaku as speaker
- Yekini Idiaye emerges new Edo assembly speaker
- Enenche demands census to determine Nigeria’s Christian-Muslim population
- Edo assembly speaker resigns amid impeachment fears
Author: Opalim Lifted
A corps member serving in Adamawa State reportedly died during the penalty shootouts of the match between Super Eagles of Nigeria and Bafana Bafana of South Africa on Wednesday evening. The member of the National Youth Service Corps (NYSC), identified only as Samuel from Kaduna State, allegedly passed away just before the final kick, which secured Nigeria’s win in the match, The Nation reports. A witness recounted the event in a social media post. The post read, “We lost one Nigerian during our victory celebration over South Africa at our sports viewing centre here in Numan. “The corps member who…
Sebastien Haller scored the winner as 2023 Africa Cup of Nations hosts Ivory Coast beat DR Congo to set up a final meeting with Nigeria. The only goal of a cagey contest in Abidjan came in the 65th minute, when Haller’s volley bounced down into the ground and up over Leopards goalkeeper Lionel Mpasi. The Borussia Dortmund striker should have opened the scoring just before the break with an unmarked header, while he also missed a chance to double the lead when sending a lob narrowly wide. DR Congo did not look like getting a late equaliser, although Meschack Elia…
The Honourable Minister of Sports Development, Senator Owan Enoh, has secured the sum of two hundred million Naira for the Super Eagles of Nigeria at the ongoing 2023 Africa Cup of Nations in Ivory Coast. Enoh commended the Progressive Governors Forum, a platform for APC-elected governors under the leadership of Governor Hope Uzodimma, for redeeming the sum of two hundred million Naira for the players. Enoh, in a statement on Wednesday, said, “I want to thank the Progressive Governors’ Forum under the leadership of Governor Hope Uzodimma of Imo State for galvanizing and redeeming the sum of two hundred million…
Some women stormed the office of the Port Harcourt Electricity Distribution Company (PHED) on Tuesday, protesting the prolonged power outage in Rivers State with a dramatic display. The women from the Mile 2 and Mile 3 axes of Diobu, Port Harcourt, barricaded the PHED office near Isaac Boro Park in Port Harcourt, saying their husbands barely have time with them at night due to intense heat waves occasioned by epileptic power supply. The placard-carrying protesters matched through major streets in Diobu, including Wokoma, Dim, Wokoma Lane, Obaziolu, Dim Lane, Egbuagu, Azikiwe, and Ojoto Streets, before heading to the PHED office…
Super Eagles striker Victor Osimhen has been reportedly cleared by the team’s medical doctor for the clash against South Africa. Chronicle NG reported that Osimhen missed the Super Eagles trip to Bouake, the venue of the semi-final clash with South Africa, after suffering abdominal discomfort. It was said that the Napoli striker will be examined on Tuesday morning and, if cleared, will join the rest of the squad who have arrived safely in Bouake. According to sources in Abidjan, the Super Eagles striker is on his way to Bouake after being declared fit by the medical team. The 25-year-old has…
The Nigerian National Petroleum Company Limited (NNPCL) on Tuesday cited the fuel distribution issue as the cause of the long queues experienced in Lagos State filling stations. The NNPCL said the “tightness” was a result of what it called a “brief distribution issue.”. Chronicle NG reported earlier that there were long queues in some filling stations in Lagos on Monday as residents feared there might be a fresh scarcity of Premium Motor Spirit. The queues were noticeable at filling stations along the Ikorodu Road. Also, the Total Filling Station at the Mobolaji Bank Anthony Way had queues, which led to…
Fuel scarcity has been reported in Lagos State, as long queues emerged in some filling stations on Monday. The scarcity was said to have caused gridlock in some parts of the state and a sudden hike in transport costs. The traffic jam appeared to be particularly severe on the Ikorodu Road axis, where cars faced an unusually long queue of motorists waiting to buy fuel at filling stations. In addition, there were long lines at the Total Filling station on Mobolaji Bank Anthony Way, resulting in high tariffs along the Ikeja axis, Punch News reported. It was also discovered that…
King Charles has been diagnosed with a form of cancer, and the 75-year-old will postpone his public duties while he undergoes treatment, Buckingham Palace said on Monday. Charles, who became king in September 2022 following the death of his mother, Queen Elizabeth, is “wholly positive” about his treatment and looks forward to returning to full public duty as soon as possible, the palace said. Charles spent three nights in the hospital last month, where he underwent a corrective procedure for a benign, enlarged prostate. The palace said a separate issue of concern had been spotted during the hospital visit but…
Residents of Minna in Niger State protested the high cost of living in the country on Monday, blocking major roads within the metropolis. The protesters, including women and youths, were heard chanting protest songs while security agents, including policemen, looked on. Chronicle NG reports in a viral clip showing how protesters complained about the rising cost of basic food items. The protesters said the rising cost of food items and poor government efforts to arrest the situation forced them to block major roads so that the government would hear their cry. The Deputy Governor of Niger State, Yakubu Garba, while…
Nigerians have raised concerns and expressed displeasure at President Bola Tinubu’s competence to protect the lives of citizens nationwide in the current wave of insecurity. In reaction to the 2024 wave of insecurity, citizens recount Tinubu’s statement in January 2014: “The slaughtering of Christian worshippers is strongly condemnable. It calls into question the competence of Jonathan to protect Nigerians.” Aisha Yesufu, a social critic, wrote that “the slaughtering of Christian worshippers is strongly condemnable. It calls to question the competence of Tinubu, the illegitimate president, to protect Nigerians”. She added that “we should be ashamed of ourselves as Nigerians, especially…











