Author: Chronicle Editor

IGP Ibrahim Idris has rejected Senate's proposal to confirm police bosses in Nigeria

The Ebonyi Police Command has debunked the rumour making the rounds in Abakaliki that one of its officers committed suicide on Monday, over his posting to Maiduguri. The News Agency of Nigeria (NAN) reports that Sgt. Donatus Oyibe was found dead inside a well at his premises in Abakaliki, while people insinuated that he committed suicide on learning of his posting to Maiduguri. ASP. Loveth Odah, the Ebonyi Police Command Public Relations Officer (PPRO) told NAN on Tuesday that Oyibe did not commit suicide as being insinuated. READ: CCSJ holds rally, pledges support for Buhari “It is true that Oyibe…

Read More

The Centre for Civil Society and Justice (CCSJ), made of members from the six geo-political zones of the country, on September 5, 2017, held a Peace and Unity Rally in the Federal Capital Territory, Abuja. The rally terminated at the precincts of the Presidential Villa, where the people were addressed by Mr Femi Adesina, Special Adviser on Media and Publicity to President Muhammadu Buhari. READ: Buhari lauds recession exit, says better days ahead The CCSJ members pledged support for President Buhari in his resolution to keep Nigeria together, saying they opposed any effort to balkanize the country. They were led…

Read More
President Muhammadu Buhari has appointed Yusuf Magaji Bichi as new DSS DG

…FG to intensify Economic Recovery & Growth Plan implementation President Muhammadu Buhari has welcomed the news of Nigeria’s exit from recession with cautious optimism and will continue to drive Nigeria’s economic growth by vigorously implementing the Economic Recovery & Growth Plan launched earlier this year by President Muhammadu Buhari. The overall economic plan and direction of the administration has resulted, among others, in sustained restoration of oil production levels, (occasioned by the enhanced security and stability in the Niger Delta) sustained growth in agriculture, mining and the first growth recorded in industry as a whole in the last nine quarters…

Read More

The Muslim Rights Concern (MURIC) says the governor of Ekiti state, Ayodele Fayose, committed sacrilege on Eid ground for dressing in Islamic regalia and praying with Muslims. In a statement issued by MURIC’s president, Professor Ishaq Akintola, the governor appeared on Eid ground dressed in Islamic regalia including a turban on Friday, 1 September, 2017. Akintola noted that Fayose also delivered a politically motivated speech at the Eid ground. “MURIC strongly condemns Fayose’s action. It is executive hocus pocus, highly sacrilegious and unduely provocative. It is Act I, Scene I in the Theater of the Absurd. “Governor Fayose cannot pretend…

Read More

…Says State must be safer, cleaner to foster growth, prosperity …As Edgal reads Riot Act to criminals, warns officers against rights abuses, corruption Lagos State Governor, Mr Akinwunmi Ambode on Tuesday expressed confidence in the ability of the new Commissioner of Police in the State, Mr Imohimi Edgal to deliver on the enormous task before him in effectively and efficiently policing the State, saying that the security of lives and property in the State remain paramount. Governor Ambode, who spoke at Lagos House in Alausa, Ikeja when he received the immediate past Commissioner of Police in the State, Mr Fatai…

Read More
Abubakar Shekau, leader of Boko Haram pledged loyalty to Islamic State

Boko Haram extremists have killed more than 380 people in the Lake Chad region since April, a major resurgence of attacks that has doubled the casualties compared to the previous five months, Amnesty International said Tuesday. The spike in attacks by the Islamic extremists is a result of increased use of suicide bombers, often women and girls, who carry out the attacks in highly populated areas in Cameroon’s Far North region and Nigeria’s Borno and Adamawa states, the rights group said. Cameroon has experienced at least one suicide attack per week, it said. “Boko Haram is once again committing war…

Read More

Many cultures in and out of Nigeria often have different marriage traditions. The Fulani tradition involves “sharo” which is a fulani game that involves two suitors flogging one another publicly to win a maiden’s hand in marriage. The nomadic Fulani are known for their hardwork, discipline and courage. Because of this, it is believed that this process will help test the strength of the potential groom to prove his worth in terms of strength, resilience and endurance. In ‘an act of bravery’ the groom is expected not to wince, cry or show he is in pain, while asking for more…

Read More
DSS detains El-Rufai after EFCC probe

A group of suspected kidnappers who abducted a director with the Kaduna State Ministry of Education, Science and Technology are demanding for N40 million ransom, an official in the ministry has said. The victim, Mr John Gorah, was abducted at midnight on Sunday at his residence located in Mararaban Rido, Kaduna. The Deputy Director, Higher Education in the ministry, Mr Steven Haruna, told the News Agency of Nigeria (NAN) in Kaduna on Tuesday that the kidnappers had contacted the victim’s family. READ: Guinness Nigeria records N125bn revenue for 2017 Haruna explained that the kidnappers stormed the victim’s house, fired multiple…

Read More
Wizkid has won SoulTrain’s Ashford and Simpson Songwriters’ award

Award winning Nigerian music icon, Ayo Balogun, popularly known as Wizkid, has revealed that he is having health challenges and, therefore, has cancelled some of his international shows. The singer took to his Twitter page on @wizkidayo to make this known, while urging his fans to pray for him. He wrote”Sad I’m typing this but I’ll be moving dates on my tour to get my health up. I appeal to my real fans to understand and pray with me.” He added that, “My next apperance will be in London 29th sept. Apologies to everyone affected by this. New dates for…

Read More

Atletico Madrid manager Diego Simeone has signed a two-year contract extension with the La Liga club. The 47-year-old Argentine, whose previous deal was due to expire at the end of the season, has committed to the club until June 2020. He is the longest-serving current La Liga manager, having been appointed in 2011. Simeone, who triumphed as a player in Atlético de Madrid in the 90s, returned as its coach in December 2011, leading the equipment to win the UEFA Europa League in Bucharest against Athletic de Bilbao that same season. READ: Super Eagles closer to Russia 2018, draw Cameroon…

Read More