Author: Chronicle Editor

President Muhammadu Buhari says the maritime sector has untapped assets

President Muhammadu Buhari on Thursday reiterated that Nigeria remained the best and most attractive investment destination in Africa. The President disclosed this at a meeting with a Qatari business delegation led by former Emir of Qatar, Sheikh Hamad Bin Khalifa Al-Thani at the State House, Abuja. He welcomed the rise in foreign private investments in the country. President Buhari described Federal Government’s economic agenda as one designed to move the country from over-reliance on crude oil and food importation to increased domestic production. He added that the policy had in the past two years turned Nigeria into one of the…

Read More
Man City players celebrate scoring the second goal at Arsenal

Manchester City delivered another sublime show of attacking brilliance as Pep Guardiola’s side marked the manager’s 100th game in charge with a 3-0 demolition of hapless Arsenal. City beat Arsenal by the same scoreline in Sunday’s EFL Cup final win at Wembley, giving Guardiola a first trophy after 18 months in English football. And the runaway Premier League leaders – now 16 points clear of rivals Manchester United – blew Arsenal away before the break, becoming the first team to score three goals away to the Gunners in the first half of a Premier League match. Arsenal made a decent…

Read More
Former Finance Minister Kemi Adeosun suspended Gwarzo as SEC DG

The House of Representatives has passed a vote of no confidence in two ministers who failed to honour invitation. They are the Minister of Solid Minerals Development, Dr Kayode Fayemi and the Minister of Finance, Mrs. Kemi Adeosun. The lawmakers took the decision against Fayemi on Thursday in Abuja after the minister failed to attend a debate on steel development in Nigeria. Also Adeosun also got a no confidence vote because she was also absent at the gathering. The failure of the two ministers sparked an outrage on the part of members of the Lower Chamber who resolved to set…

Read More
Senator Dino Melaye is heading for the election tribunal

Senator Dino Melaye has been granted bail by the FCT High Court, Maitama, after he was arraigned for allegedly giving false information to the Police. Melaye, representing Kogi West, was arraigned on Thursday following a two-count charge bordering on giving false information, offences he denied committing. Justice Olasumbo Goodluck, granted him bail after listening to the submissions of his counsel, Mr Ricky Tarfa (SAN), and the prosecuting counsel, Mr Magaji Labaran. The judge admitted him to bail in the sum of N100, 000, a surety in like sum, who must not be below grade level 14 in the Federal Civil…

Read More

At least 12 people have been killed and more than 1,000 homes burnt down in northern Nigeria. It comes after a fight reportedly broke out earlier this week over a Christian girl converting to Islam, as we reported earlier this week. Local media report that the violence in Kaduna state escalated in recent days, with police recovering petrol bombs and arresting 18 suspects. While the state police chief says investigations are under way into the cause of the violence, senior politicians have been quick to suggest it was religiously motivated. Nigeria’s Deputy Senate President Ike Ekweremadu has said: The fact…

Read More
Emir of Kano, Muhammadu Sanusi II was also fingered in the fraud

A man has been taken into police custody for allegedly pretending to be the Emir of Kano, Muhammadu Sanusi II, on Instagram. The 20-year-old suspect had more than 200,000 followers on Instagram and was even given a so-called blue tick – which verifies the account is real. The account is currently marked as private but still has the blue tick. Musa Magaji from Kano state police told the BBC the investigation is still ongoing and they hoped to charge the man as soon as possible with impersonation and fraud. READ: PSG forward Neymar to have surgery on fractured metatarsal He…

Read More

Nigeria’s Vice President Prof Yemi Osinbajo has described the construction of a rail line from Lagos to Kano as the smartest economic decision Britain made as colonial masters. Osinbajo noted that Lagos and Kano were commercial centres long before the amalgamation of Nigeria. “Long before Nigeria existed as we know it today, both cities existed as important regional centres of trade and commerce. “It is a given that they will continue well into the future, increasingly gaining clout and influence,” he noted. Osinbajo who spoke at the opening of the joint Lagos-Kano Economic Investment Summit themed “States Partnership as a…

Read More
Putin visits Mongolia, defying international warrant for his arrest

Russia has developed a new array of nuclear weapons that are invincible, according to President Vladimir Putin. Mr Putin made the revelation as he laid out his key policies for a fourth presidential term, ahead of an election he is expected to win in 17 days’ time. The weapons he showcased included a cruise missile that he said can “reach anywhere in the world”. Using video presentations, he said the missile could not be stopped by the US shield in Europe and Asia. It was “a low-flying, difficult-to-spot cruise missile with a nuclear payload with a practically unlimited range and…

Read More
Fake degrees: Kenya, Uganda to verify Nigerian students' records amid certificate fraud concerns

The Joint Admissions and Matriculation Board (JAMB) has released the results of the recent Mock Unified Tertiary Matriculation Examination (UTME). JAMB’s Head of Media and Information, Dr Fabian Benjamin, disclosed this in an interview with the News Agency of Nigeria (NAN) on Thursday in Lagos. According to him, candidates are to check their results on line by visiting www.jamb .org.ng with their registration numbers. Benjamin described the conduct of the examination nationwide as hitch-free. READ: Assassination attempt on Queen Elizabeth confirmed A total of 245,753 candidates registered for the mock examination which took place on Monday. Mock UTME is optional…

Read More
The Queen can suspend or prorogue the Parliament on the advice of the prime minister

A teenager’s attempt to assassinate the Queen during her New Zealand visit in 1981 was covered-up by the police, newly declassified documents show. During the Royal parade through the city of Dunedin, 17-year-old Christopher John Lewis hid in a toilet cubicle and fired a shot at Queen Elizabeth II when she stepped out of her Rolls Royce, the shot narrowly missing her head, New Zealand news portal Stuff reported Thursday. Although Lewis was arrested he was never charged, and domestic and international media who had heard the shot were told it was a council sign that had fallen over. New…

Read More