- Rayo Vallecano thrash Atlético Madrid 3-0 in LaLiga clash
- FCT Poll: Wike to back only candidates who support Tinubu
- Arsenal reach FA Cup fifth round after thrashing Wigan 4-0
- Tinubu to visit Adamawa, commission projects Monday
- Customs seize N1bn cocaine at Badagry–Seme border
- Amotekun nabs12 suspected kidnappers, 83 others in Ondo
- Terrorists kidnap four in fresh Kwara attack
- US troops, military aircraft touch down in Nigeria for counter-terrorism
Author: Chronicle Editor
Bayern Munich ground out a 0-0 draw to see off Sevilla’s spirited challenge and reach the Champions League semi-finals with a 2-1 aggregate win. The newly crowned Bundesliga champions, who won their past two home games 6-0, needed defensive grit to match their usual attacking flair at a sold-out Allianz Arena. Sevilla defender Joaquin Correa, who was sent off in added time, hit the bar with a header and midfielder Pablo Sarabia, who scored in the first leg, wasted a glorious first-half chance. But Bayern top-scorer Robert Lewandowski had a header pushed over the crossbar by goalkeeper David Soria and…
Senator Danjuma Goje claims that no single person has benefited from the Federal Government’s Social Investment Programmes (SIPs) in Gombe State was flawed today as 548 N-Power beneficiaries comes from his constituency. Beneficiaries of the scheme from across the 11 local governments of the state met at the Education Resources Centre in Gombe. Dismissing Goje’s claims, the N-Power beneficiaries described Senator Goje’s comment as “unbecoming and a disservice to the people of the state.” The senator who is a former governor of Gombe recently called for the scrapping of the N-Power scheme because “no single person from Gombe State benefited…
Ayisat Oriyomi of Nigeria threw in the towel against Carly McNaul of Northern Ireland in the women’s boxing flyweight class (51kg) at the Gold Coast 2018 Commonwealth Games on Wednesday. Despite a dominant display by Oriyomi, the contest was abandoned after round one and was awarded to McNaul. Oriyomi took the first round with a score of 10-9, 10-9, 9-10, 10-9, 10-9, before she abandoned the contest. READ: PREMIER LEAGUE AWARDS TOTTENHAM GOAL AT STOKE TO HARRY KANE Earlier on Wednesday, Odunuga progressed into the semi-final after overcoming Caroline Veyre of Canada. She will face Paige Murney of England in…
President Muhammadu Buhari has explained why he declared his intentions to run for another term in office on Monday, April 9, 2018, during the National Executive Committee (NEC) meeting of the All Progressives Congress (APC). Receiving the Archbishop of Canterbury, His Grace Justin Welby in London Wednesday, President Buhari said: “I declared before leaving home because Nigerians were talking too much about whether I would run or not. So, I felt I should break the ice. “We have many things to focus on, like security, agriculture, economy, anti-corruption, and many others. We needed to concentrate on them, and politics should…
President Muhammadu Buhari has told Archbishop of Canterbury, His Grace Justin Welby that he is managing Leah Sharibu’s matter quietly. Buhari who received that Archbishop at the Abuja House in London said he working on securing the release of the abducted Dapchi girl. It would be recalled that Leah Sharibu, the schoolgirl from Dapchi is still being held by Boko Haram insurgents for refusing to renounce her Christian faith. “We are managing the matter quietly. Making noise would not help. We are collecting as much intelligence as possible, working with the Red Cross and other international organizations,” he said. READ:…
Tottenham’s Harry Kane has been awarded Spurs’ second goal in Saturday’s 2-1 win at Stoke after a successful appeal. The Premier League goals accreditation panel had initially given it to Spurs midfielder Christian Eriksen. It said the decision had been reversed “after taking the player’s testimony into account and reviewing the match footage”. It means England striker Kane’s tally for the season is now 25 – four behind Liverpool’s Mohamed Salah. Wooooooow really ?— Mohamed Salah (@22mosalah) April 11, 2018 The #PL’s Goal Accreditation Appeals Panel has awarded @HKane with @SpursOfficial’s 2nd goal in their 2-1 win against StokeMore: https://t.co/BospIMR7Mq…
Manchester City boss Pep Guardiola has been charged with improper conduct and being sent off during Tuesday’s Champions League defeat by Liverpool. European governing body UEFA has also charged Liverpool after fireworks were set off and objects thrown inside Etihad Stadium Guardiola was sent to the stands after confronting referee Antonio Mateu Lahoz on the pitch at half-time during the quarter-final second-leg 2-1 defeat. The case will be heard on 31 May. The improper conduct charge against Guardiola is for communicating with the bench during the second half. Article 69 of UEFA’s disciplinary regulations states that any manager or coach…
A 53-year-old, Peter Nielsen, who allegedly killed his wife, Zainab, and her three-year-old daughter, Petra, was on Wednesday remanded in Ikoyi Prisons on the orders of a Yaba Chief Magistrates’ Court, Lagos. The Magistrate, Mrs K.B. Ayeye, who gave the ruling, said the accused should be kept behind bars pending advice from the State Director of Public Prosecutions (DPP). Nielsen, a Danish citizen, is being tried on a two-count charge bordering on murder. He, however, pleaded not guilty to the charges preferred against him. But CSP Effiong Asuquo, the prosecutor, told the court that the accused committed the offences on…
Now that President Muhammadu Buhari has ended months of speculation and has declared his intentions to seek re-election, all eyes are on the ruling party to see whether it will give him a clear shot at the nation’s top job. Buhari made history in 2015 when he became the first Nigerian to defeat an incumbent candidate, amid anger over the Boko Haram jihadist insurgency and rampant corruption in West Africa’s largest economy. But his administration has been criticised for being too slow to address Nigeria’s worst recession in decades, resurgent Islamist attacks and an escalation in bloody clashes between farmers…
US House of Representatives Speaker Paul Ryan will not run for re-election this year, in a big blow to Republicans ahead of autumn’s mid-term elections. A spokesman for Congress’ most powerful lawmaker confirmed he would not stand for another term in his Wisconsin district this November. A source close to Mr Ryan told the BBC his decision was family-related. Republicans are already facing a tough challenge from Democrats to retain control of Congress’ lower chamber. A statement from his adviser, Brendan Buck, said: “This morning Speaker Ryan shared with his colleagues that this will be his last year as a…












