Close Menu
Chronicle NG
    Trending Stories
    DSS invites Datti Baba-Ahmed over alleged inciting public comments

    DSS invites Datti Baba-Ahmed over alleged inciting public comments

    November 29, 2025
    Minister for Justice and Attorney-General Abubakar Malami EFCC assets

    Malami released after EFCC grilling

    November 29, 2025
    Veteran Nollywood actor and cultural icon Lere Paimo

    Lere Paimo is alive – ANTP

    November 29, 2025
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    Trending
    • DSS invites Datti Baba-Ahmed over alleged inciting public comments
    • Malami released after EFCC grilling
    • Lere Paimo is alive – ANTP
    • Jonathan questions Guinea-Bissau’s president’s involvement in coup
    • Tanker explosion kills three in Kano
    • Kwara govt yet to release freed church abductees after one week
    • Terrorists now using satellite communication, says NASRDA
    • Tax reforms: NOA launches nationwide campaign to counter misinformation
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    Chronicle NGChronicle NG
    Subscribe
    Saturday, November 29
    • News
      • Nigeria News
      • World News
      • Headlines News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Sport
    • Entertainment
    • Contact Us
    Chronicle NG

    ASUU threatens strike over unresolved issues

    Vincent OsuwoBy Vincent OsuwoNovember 15, 2025No Comments4 Mins Read
    Facebook Twitter Telegram WhatsApp
    ASUU declares two-week strike from Oct 13
    ASUU
    Facebook Twitter WhatsApp

    The Bauchi zone of the Academic Staff Union of Universities (ASUU), comprising six universities, has announced its readiness to embark on a fresh strike, citing the Federal Government’s failure to address the union’s unresolved issues.

    The six universities that make up the Bauchi Zone of ASUU include the Federal University, Kashere, Gombe State; Abubakar Tafawa Balewa University, Bauchi State; University of Jos, Plateau State; Bauchi State University; Plateau State University, Bokkos; and Gombe State University.

    Prof. Timothy Namo, the union’s zonal coordinator, spoke at a press conference in Jos on Saturday and expressed dismay that the government had not taken any significant action to address the problems despite earlier warnings and a two-week warning strike.

    Flanked by other ASUU leaders and branch chairmen in the area, Namo recalled that the union had given the government a month to wrap up renegotiations and settle lingering concerns, but there was only a week left, and nothing significant had been accomplished.

    “The paltry increase proposed by the government is a drop in the ocean and far below expectations,” Namo said, adding that the union had rejected the offer.

    He expressed worry that some government functionaries were undermining the renegotiation process and misrepresenting the offers made.

    The ASUU leader questioned the government’s commitment to education, citing statistics that showed a significant increase in revenue allocation to states and the federal government, yet education continued to suffer.

    Namo said, “ASUU NEC expressed concerns over the attitudes of some government functionaries who are bent on undermining the renegotiation process by subtle misrepresentation of the offers made.

    “The part-payment of promotion arrears dating back to 2017 and the release of third-party deductions, which are part of members’ unpaid benefits for years, can at best be described as a weak confidence-boosting exercise.

    “There is no sufficient evidence from the government’s response so far to suggest that education is a priority in Nigeria and that the government truly desires to avert crises in the universities.”

    He called on stakeholders, including traditional rulers, students, civil society organizations, and the National Assembly, to prevail on the government to address the union’s demands and avert a crisis in Nigerian universities.

    “The remaining days to the expiration of the 4-week window must be tactfully and judiciously used to holistically resolve all outstanding issues in order to uplift the living conditions of academics in Nigeria. The surest way to protect the future of our children is to massively invest in education.

    “Whereas the government claims that there is a paucity of funds, evidence-based statistics suggest the contrary. For example, in 2022, the data from the Federal Accounts Allocation Committee show that states received a total of 3.92 trillion naira. The figure in 2024 rose to 5.81 trillion naira, an increase of over 62%.

    “Similarly, the Federal Government received 3.42 trillion naira in 2022 and 4.65 trillion naira in 2024, an increase of over 70%. These statistics confirm that it is not lack of funds but lack of political will and misplacement of priorities that make education suffer in Nigeria.

    “The Union once again calls on traditional rulers, leaders of thought, students, civil society organizations, the NLC, and the National Assembly to prevail on the government to do the needful in order to avoid further crises in Nigerian universities,” he added.

    The union’s demands include improved salaries, better working conditions, and the release of unpaid benefits.

    The strike notice has raised concerns about the potential disruption of academic activities in the six universities in the zone.

    Resolutions from the National Executive Council meeting of ASUU, held at Taraba State University, Jalingo, on November 8–9 and outlined in a statement by the union’s president, Prof. Chris Piwuna, called on the Federal Government to resolve lingering issues within 10 days of the one-month window.

    Share. Facebook Twitter Telegram WhatsApp

    Keep Reading

    DSS invites Datti Baba-Ahmed over alleged inciting public comments

    DSS invites Datti Baba-Ahmed over alleged inciting public comments

    Minister for Justice and Attorney-General Abubakar Malami EFCC assets

    Malami released after EFCC grilling

    Veteran Nollywood actor and cultural icon Lere Paimo

    Lere Paimo is alive – ANTP

    2027: Court asked to restrain Jonathan from contesting

    Jonathan questions Guinea-Bissau’s president’s involvement in coup

    39 Niger tanker explosion victims get mass burial

    Tanker explosion kills three in Kano

    The terrorists who kidnapped about 35 worshippers from the Christ Apostolic Church, Oke-Igan, Eruku, in the Ekiti Local Government Area of Kwara State, have reportedly demanded N100 million ransom per victim.

    Kwara govt yet to release freed church abductees after one week

    Subscribe to News

    Be the first to get the latest news updates from ChronicleNG about world, sports, politics etc

    DSS invites Datti Baba-Ahmed over alleged inciting public comments

    DSS invites Datti Baba-Ahmed over alleged inciting public comments

    November 29, 2025
    Minister for Justice and Attorney-General Abubakar Malami EFCC assets

    Malami released after EFCC grilling

    November 29, 2025
    Veteran Nollywood actor and cultural icon Lere Paimo

    Lere Paimo is alive – ANTP

    November 29, 2025
    2027: Court asked to restrain Jonathan from contesting

    Jonathan questions Guinea-Bissau’s president’s involvement in coup

    November 29, 2025
    39 Niger tanker explosion victims get mass burial

    Tanker explosion kills three in Kano

    November 29, 2025
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    • Politics
    • News
    • Sports
    • Business
    • About Us
    © 2025 ChronicleNG

    Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.