Chief Adebayo Adelabu, the Minister of Power, is expected to resign after receiving President Bola Tinubu’s approval to pursue his governorship ambition in Oyo State.
The development followed a meeting between the minister and the president on Tuesday at the Presidential Villa, Abuja, where Adelabu presented a comprehensive briefing on his stewardship of the power sector over the past two and a half years.
Bolaji Tunji, his Special Adviser on Strategic Communications and Media Relations, said in a statement on Tuesday that the presentation of the National Integrated Electricity Policy and its supporting Strategic Implementation Plan was a key highlight of the engagement.
The minister was alleged to have detailed milestones achieved during his tenure, including measures to stabilize electricity generation, enhance transmission capacity, and execute reforms targeted at improving efficiency and service delivery across the power sector value chain.
The statement revealed that the minister would soon step down from office.
It read, “In view of this development, Chief Adebayo Adelabu is expected to resign his position as Minister of Power in the coming days.”
According to the statement, the planned resignation coincides with attempts to ensure continuity in existing changes.
“The timing of his anticipated resignation reflects his commitment to addressing key sectoral challenges and ensuring continuity in ongoing reforms prior to exiting office.
“Notably, this process includes efforts to stabilize the sector following recent declines in power generation due to gas supply constraints to power plants, ongoing pipeline repairs, and outstanding obligations to gas suppliers, as well as the need to secure the president’s approval for his intended resignation and gubernatorial aspiration in Oyo State,” Tunji said.
The president had earlier instructed all appointees who wanted to contest to resign on or before March 31.
The statement read that during the meeting with Tinubu, Adelabu presented a comprehensive report on his stewardship.
“During the meeting, the minister outlined key milestones recorded under his leadership, including efforts to stabilize electricity generation, strengthen transmission capacity, and implement reforms aimed at enhancing efficiency and service delivery across the power sector value chain,” it stated.
Tinubu, according to the statement, commended the minister for his dedication and progress recorded in the sector.
“President Tinubu commended the minister for his dedication and the progress recorded, particularly in laying a strong policy foundation for the transformation of the power sector. The President also granted his consent and blessing for the minister to pursue his governorship ambition,” Tunji explained.
He added that the minister thanked the president for his unwavering support and reiterated his commitment to the improvement of Nigeria’s electricity sector and overall national development.









