Close Menu
Chronicle NG
    Trending Stories
    Southampton had been looking for an immediate return to the Premier League having been relegated at the end of the 2024-25 season

    FA opens Southampton investigation over Spygate

    May 21, 2026
    Health workers in protective gear responding to Ebola outbreak cases in the Democratic Republic of Congo.

    WHO approves $3.4m for Ebola response in DR Congo, Uganda as death toll hits 139

    May 21, 2026
    Police officer threatens to kill anyone who videos him on duty

    Police officer threatens to kill anyone who videos him on duty

    May 21, 2026
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    Trending
    • FA opens Southampton investigation over Spygate
    • WHO approves $3.4m for Ebola response in DR Congo, Uganda as death toll hits 139
    • Police officer threatens to kill anyone who videos him on duty
    • Tinubu appoints Segun Aina as new JAMB registrar
    • Tinubu: Fuel subsidy, forex cabals behind rising insecurity
    • NDLEA busts N480bn methamphetamine lab in Ogun, arrests three Mexicans
    • Big Wiz: Wizkid becomes first African artiste to reach 11bn Spotify streams
    • NLC warns ‘no community is safe anymore’ after Oyo abduction
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    Chronicle NGChronicle NG
    Subscribe
    Thursday, May 21
    • News
      • Nigeria News
      • World News
      • Headlines News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Sport
    • Entertainment
    • Contact Us
    Chronicle NG

    Super Tucano jets changing tide of terror – FG

    Chronicle EditorBy Chronicle EditorOctober 12, 2021No Comments3 Mins Read
    Facebook Twitter Telegram WhatsApp
    SERAP secures court order for Lai Mohammed to disclose details of FG, X agreement 
    Information and Culture Minister, Lai Mohammed
    Facebook Twitter WhatsApp

    The Nigerian government has taken delivery of 10 of the 12 A-29 Super Tucano fighter jets expected from the United States of America and their deployment has changed the tide in the fight against terror in Nigeria.

    The Minister of Information and Culture, Alhaji Lai Mohammed, made the disclosure at a forum of the News Agency of Nigeria (NAN) on Sunday in Abuja.

    “As at today, we have 10 of the jets on the ground and the remaining two, I think should be delivered in the next two weeks or so.

    “The introduction of these platforms have made a whole lot of difference and it has changed the dynamics of the war,’’ Mohammed announced at the NAN flagship interview session.

    Six Super Tucanos to arrive Nigeria in July 2

    He noted that the deployment of the platforms contributed immensely to the successes being recorded in the fight against Boko Haram terrorists, who were surrendering in droves in the northeast.

    In addition to the non-kinetic measures taken against bandits in the North-west and other troubled states, the minister said the platforms had also helped in neutralising criminals.

    • First batch of Super Tucanos arrives in Nigeria

    Mohammed said: “When these people surrender, it is either they are overpowered, they are starved of their operations or it has become impossible for them to carry out their dastardly acts.

    “They do not just surrender voluntarily. It is just that our media are not doing what they ought to be doing.

    “What is expected of them is to probe that since the introduction of the Super Tucano, how many bandits have been killed, how many terrorists have surrendered?’’

    Responding to a question on when Nigeria would buy more fighter jets, Mohammed said the jets were high-grade weapons that could not be bought off the shelves.

    “People have forgotten that under former President Barrack Obama, the U.S. denied Nigeria these Super Tucanos.

    “A lot of diplomacy went on before we got these ones,’’ he said.

    The minister said however that the government was expecting more platforms that he was “not at liberty to disclose’’.

    On July 22, the Nigerian Air Force took delivery of the first batch of six of the A-29 Super Tucano airplanes from the U.S.

    The Director of Public Relations and Information at NAF Headquarters, Air Commodore Edward Gabkwet, who made the announcement, said the jets arrived in Kano.

    The officials that received the aircraft included the Minister of Defence, Major.-Gen. Bashir Magashi (rtd); Chief of Army Staff, Lt.- Gen. Faruk Yahaya; and Chief of Air Staff, Air Marshal Oladayo Amao.

    Share. Facebook Twitter Telegram WhatsApp

    Keep Reading

    Health workers in protective gear responding to Ebola outbreak cases in the Democratic Republic of Congo.

    WHO approves $3.4m for Ebola response in DR Congo, Uganda as death toll hits 139

    Police officer threatens to kill anyone who videos him on duty

    Police officer threatens to kill anyone who videos him on duty

    Tinubu appoints Segun Aina as new JAMB registrar

    Tinubu appoints Segun Aina as new JAMB registrar

    President Bola Tinubu speaking at a public event in Nigeria, representing federal government economic policy announcements.

    Tinubu: Fuel subsidy, forex cabals behind rising insecurity

    NDLEA operatives at a clandestine methamphetamine laboratory uncovered in Ogun forest with seized chemical substances and suspects.

    NDLEA busts N480bn methamphetamine lab in Ogun, arrests three Mexicans

    NLC warns ‘no community is safe anymore’ after Oyo abduction

    NLC warns ‘no community is safe anymore’ after Oyo abduction

    Subscribe to News

    Be the first to get the latest news updates from ChronicleNG about world, sports, politics etc

    Southampton had been looking for an immediate return to the Premier League having been relegated at the end of the 2024-25 season

    FA opens Southampton investigation over Spygate

    May 21, 2026
    Health workers in protective gear responding to Ebola outbreak cases in the Democratic Republic of Congo.

    WHO approves $3.4m for Ebola response in DR Congo, Uganda as death toll hits 139

    May 21, 2026
    Police officer threatens to kill anyone who videos him on duty

    Police officer threatens to kill anyone who videos him on duty

    May 21, 2026
    Tinubu appoints Segun Aina as new JAMB registrar

    Tinubu appoints Segun Aina as new JAMB registrar

    May 21, 2026
    President Bola Tinubu speaking at a public event in Nigeria, representing federal government economic policy announcements.

    Tinubu: Fuel subsidy, forex cabals behind rising insecurity

    May 21, 2026
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    • Politics
    • News
    • Sports
    • Business
    • About Us
    © 2026 ChronicleNG

    Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.