Close Menu
Chronicle NG
    Trending Stories
    US Embassy, consulate in Nigeria observe Presidents’ Day

    US embassy, consulate in Nigeria observe Presidents’ Day

    February 16, 2026
    The National Assembly disclosed on Sunday that it would reconvene its plenary session on Tuesday, February 17, 2026, shortening its recess amid reports that lawmakers may review the date set for the 2027 presidential election.

    National Assembly moves to shift 2027 presidential poll to Feb13

    February 16, 2026
    Tinubu vows to crush terrorism, says insecurity hurts Nigeria’s economy

    Tinubu demands release of South Sudan VP Machar

    February 16, 2026
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    Trending
    • US embassy, consulate in Nigeria observe Presidents’ Day
    • National Assembly moves to shift 2027 presidential poll to Feb13
    • Tinubu demands release of South Sudan VP Machar
    • Police to arraign suspect in S’Africa-based Nigerian student’s killing today
    • 2027 votes must count, Obi warns election officials against rigging
    • Presidency links El-Rufai’s thallium sulphate claim to N432bn Kaduna corruption probe
    • Ribadu asks El-Rufai to provide proof of toxic chemical procurement to DSS
    • Rayo Vallecano thrash Atlético Madrid 3-0 in LaLiga clash
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    Chronicle NGChronicle NG
    Subscribe
    Monday, February 16
    • News
      • Nigeria News
      • World News
      • Headlines News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Sport
    • Entertainment
    • Contact Us
    Chronicle NG

    UK will face food, fuel, drug shortages if it leaves EU

    Chronicle EditorBy Chronicle EditorAugust 19, 2019No Comments3 Mins Read
    Facebook Twitter Telegram WhatsApp
    UK British Prime Minister Boris Johnson is out of the hospital after treatment for coronavirus recession lockdown
    British Prime Minister Boris Johnson
    Facebook Twitter WhatsApp

    Borish Johnson UK PMBritain will face shortages of fuel, food and medicine if it leaves the European Union without a transition deal, according to leaked official documents reported by the Sunday Times whose interpretation was immediately contested by ministers.

    Setting out a vision of jammed ports, public protests and widespread disruption, the paper said the forecasts compiled by the Cabinet Office set out the most likely aftershocks of a no-deal Brexit rather than the worst-case scenarios.

    But Michael Gove, the minister in charge of coordinating “no-deal” preparations, challenged that interpretation, saying the documents did set out a worst-case scenario and that planning had been accelerated in the last three weeks.

    The Times said up to 85% of lorries using the main Channel crossings may not be ready for French customs, meaning disruption at ports would potentially last up to three months before the flow of traffic improved.

    The government also believes a hard border between the British province of Northern Ireland and the Republic of Ireland, an EU member, will be likely as plans to avoid widespread checks will prove unsustainable, the Times said.

    “Compiled this month by the Cabinet Office under the codename Operation Yellowhammer, the dossier offers a rare glimpse into the covert planning being carried out by the government to avert a catastrophic collapse in the nation’s infrastructure,” the Times reported.

    READ: El-Zakzaky : FG trying to cover gross missconducted – IMN

    Prime Minister Boris Johnson’s office said it did not comment on leaked documents. But Gove said it was an old document that did not reflect current preparedness.

    “It is the case, as everyone knows, that if we do have a no-deal exit there will inevitably be some disruption, some bumps in the road. That’s why we want a deal,” Gove told reporters.

    “But it is also the case that the UK government is far more prepared now than it was in the past, and it’s also important for people to recognise that what’s being described in these documents… is emphatically a worst-case scenario,” Gove added.

    A government source blamed the leak on an unnamed former minister who wanted to influence negotiations with the EU.

    “This document is from when ministers were blocking what needed to be done to get ready to leave and the funds were not available,” said the source, who declined to be named. “It has been deliberately leaked by a former minister in an attempt to influence discussions with EU leaders.”

    Share. Facebook Twitter Telegram WhatsApp

    Keep Reading

    US Embassy, consulate in Nigeria observe Presidents’ Day

    US embassy, consulate in Nigeria observe Presidents’ Day

    The National Assembly disclosed on Sunday that it would reconvene its plenary session on Tuesday, February 17, 2026, shortening its recess amid reports that lawmakers may review the date set for the 2027 presidential election.

    National Assembly moves to shift 2027 presidential poll to Feb13

    Tinubu vows to crush terrorism, says insecurity hurts Nigeria’s economy

    Tinubu demands release of South Sudan VP Machar

    The South African Police Service says a female suspect apprehended over the murder of a Nigerian e-hailing driver will be arraigned today.

    Police to arraign suspect in S’Africa-based Nigerian student’s killing today

    2027 votes must count, Obi warns election officials against rigging

    2027 votes must count, Obi warns election officials against rigging

    Presidency links El-Rufai’s thallium sulphate claim to N432bn Kaduna corruption probe

    Presidency links El-Rufai’s thallium sulphate claim to N432bn Kaduna corruption probe

    Subscribe to News

    Be the first to get the latest news updates from ChronicleNG about world, sports, politics etc

    US Embassy, consulate in Nigeria observe Presidents’ Day

    US embassy, consulate in Nigeria observe Presidents’ Day

    February 16, 2026
    The National Assembly disclosed on Sunday that it would reconvene its plenary session on Tuesday, February 17, 2026, shortening its recess amid reports that lawmakers may review the date set for the 2027 presidential election.

    National Assembly moves to shift 2027 presidential poll to Feb13

    February 16, 2026
    Tinubu vows to crush terrorism, says insecurity hurts Nigeria’s economy

    Tinubu demands release of South Sudan VP Machar

    February 16, 2026
    The South African Police Service says a female suspect apprehended over the murder of a Nigerian e-hailing driver will be arraigned today.

    Police to arraign suspect in S’Africa-based Nigerian student’s killing today

    February 16, 2026
    2027 votes must count, Obi warns election officials against rigging

    2027 votes must count, Obi warns election officials against rigging

    February 16, 2026
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    • Politics
    • News
    • Sports
    • Business
    • About Us
    © 2026 ChronicleNG

    Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.