Close Menu
Chronicle NG
    Trending Stories
    Job scams, desperation push Nigerians into Russia–Ukraine war recruitment

    Job scams, desperation push Nigerians into Russia–Ukraine war recruitment

    February 18, 2026
    A fuel Truck crash near Polo Field Club Roundabout in Jos, Plateau State, has led to the deaths of two people and 16 others injured.

    Truck crashes into pedestrians, kills six in Ogun

    February 18, 2026
    Pope Leo flags Nigeria over rising Christian persecution concerns

    Pope urges Christians to refrain from slander as Lent begins

    February 18, 2026
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    Trending
    • Job scams, desperation push Nigerians into Russia–Ukraine war recruitment
    • Truck crashes into pedestrians, kills six in Ogun
    • Pope urges Christians to refrain from slander as Lent begins
    • Borussia Dortmund get 2-0 Champions League win over Atalanta
    • Doue scores brace as PSG comeback to beat 10-man Monaco
    • Vinicius scores winner despite racist abuse in Benfica clash
    • 2027: Tinubu appoints Uba Sani to lead APC mobilisation
    • Tinubu advocates fairer African financial system
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    Chronicle NGChronicle NG
    Subscribe
    Wednesday, February 18
    • News
      • Nigeria News
      • World News
      • Headlines News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Sport
    • Entertainment
    • Contact Us
    Chronicle NG

    Blockade by ex-ExxonMobil employees dent Nigeria’s oil production

    Chronicle EditorBy Chronicle EditorSeptember 4, 2018No Comments3 Mins Read
    Facebook Twitter Telegram WhatsApp
    PENGASSAN declares strike at Cameron-Onesubsea over anti-labour practices
    Facebook Twitter WhatsApp
    ExxonMobil says the blockade by ex-employees is costing Nigeria 550,000 barrel of oil daily
    ExxonMobil says the blockade by ex-employees is costing Nigeria 550,000 barrel of oil daily

    ExxonMobil said a blockade by former employees threatens crude production at oil facilities in Nigeria, adding that, “disruptions to these operations have the potential to significantly impact revenues.”

    The company made the announcement in a statement after a six-week blockade by former workers at the oil facilities.

    Mobil Producing Nigeria, the ExxonMobil subsidiary that released the statement, produces over 550,000 barrels per day of crude oil, condensates and natural gas liquids, according to the company website.

    Nigeria’s average production in the second quarter of 2018 was 1.8 million barrels per day, according to the country’s statistics office.

    The blockades were described in ExxonMobil’s statement as the “playing of loud music, defacing of company facilities and intimidation of personnel.

    The “continued denial of access to lproduction facilities could impact the company’s ability to safely continue production operations,” ExxonMobil said.

    The protest which began on 17 July was over the sacking of 860 Nigerian workers most of whom had worked with the company for over 22 years without regards for the rule of law.

    Mr Rasak Obe, the Chairman of ExxonMobil Branch of the Petroleum and Natural Gas Senior Staff Association of Nigeria (PENGASSAN), said the  union was shocked by the mass sack of security personnel who had faithfully served the company for many years.

    READ: APC will clear Delta in 2019 – Uduaghan

    He said the management should immediately reinstate the employees of the security department  and pay all entitlements due to them.

    The union leader also urged the management to immediately reinstate the 16 employees purportedly sacked in Dec. 2016 in a similar fashion.

    He demanded the immediate release and repatriation of over 20 expatriate personnel in the security department who had been engaged and kept in defiance of extant Nigerian laws and security directives.

    According to him, this was an unfortunate situation which the Supreme Court of Nigeria had corrected with its April 20, 2018 judgment.

    “This underscored the scale of error in company’s assessment of the reality after the Supreme Court judgment.

    “There are tens more who by the judgment are active employees of Mobil Producing Nigeria Unlimited.

    “To say the least, this wholesale sack unambiguously conveys management’s disdain for the highest court of the country and mocks its ruling on the subject”.

    Obe said the company was quick to indiscriminately sack Nigerians and replace them with expatriates, taking jobs Nigerians have successfully performed over the decades.

    He said expatriate security personnel, many of whom were ex-service men, were currently engaged in the security department against the directives of National Petroleum Investment Management Services (NAPIMS) and the Nigerian Defence Ministry.

    Mobil Producing Nigeria’s public statement on the blockade of its offices in Nigeria pic.twitter.com/ERrx9GeaGo

    — ExxonMobil Nigeria (@ExxonMobil_NG) September 1, 2018

    Share. Facebook Twitter Telegram WhatsApp

    Keep Reading

    A fuel Truck crash near Polo Field Club Roundabout in Jos, Plateau State, has led to the deaths of two people and 16 others injured.

    Truck crashes into pedestrians, kills six in Ogun

    Pope Leo flags Nigeria over rising Christian persecution concerns

    Pope urges Christians to refrain from slander as Lent begins

    2027: Tinubu appoints Uba Sani to lead APC mobilisation

    2027: Tinubu appoints Uba Sani to lead APC mobilisation

    Tinubu vows to crush terrorism, says insecurity hurts Nigeria’s economy

    Tinubu advocates fairer African financial system

    Sultan of Sokoto

    Sultan confirms moon sighting, declares Wednesday beginning of Ramadan

    Senate approves electronic transmission of results, permits manual upload as backup

    Senate passes Electoral Act Amendment Bill

    Subscribe to News

    Be the first to get the latest news updates from ChronicleNG about world, sports, politics etc

    Job scams, desperation push Nigerians into Russia–Ukraine war recruitment

    Job scams, desperation push Nigerians into Russia–Ukraine war recruitment

    February 18, 2026
    A fuel Truck crash near Polo Field Club Roundabout in Jos, Plateau State, has led to the deaths of two people and 16 others injured.

    Truck crashes into pedestrians, kills six in Ogun

    February 18, 2026
    Pope Leo flags Nigeria over rising Christian persecution concerns

    Pope urges Christians to refrain from slander as Lent begins

    February 18, 2026
    Borussia Dortmund Niclas Fuellkurg scored the only goal of the match against PSG

    Borussia Dortmund get 2-0 Champions League win over Atalanta

    February 18, 2026
    Desire Doue

    Doue scores brace as PSG comeback to beat 10-man Monaco

    February 18, 2026
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    • Politics
    • News
    • Sports
    • Business
    • About Us
    © 2026 ChronicleNG

    Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.