Close Menu
Chronicle NG
    Trending Stories
    Shettima says allies warned Tinubu against wearing gifted campaign outfits

    Shettima: People told Tinubu I wanted to kill him and become president

    May 20, 2026
    Rabiu Kwankwaso speaking during a political event amid ADC crisis speculation

    Kwankwaso working for Tinubu’s re-election, Kano gov’s aide alleges

    May 20, 2026
    Gbajabiamila behind my ordeal, detained journalist reveals on Inside Sources

    Gbajabiamila lauds Lagos APC primaries as Desmond Elliott withdraws

    May 20, 2026
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    Trending
    • Shettima: People told Tinubu I wanted to kill him and become president
    • Kwankwaso working for Tinubu’s re-election, Kano gov’s aide alleges
    • Gbajabiamila lauds Lagos APC primaries as Desmond Elliott withdraws
    • DHQ says Oyo school attacks not evidence of terrorist base in South-West
    • Desmond Elliot alleges intimidation, withdraws from APC primary
    • Nigeria intensifies airport surveillance over Ebola outbreak fears
    • Students flee Oyo schools as police dismiss terrorist attack rumours
    • Bwala urges Nigerians to defend themselves against terrorists
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    Chronicle NGChronicle NG
    Subscribe
    Wednesday, May 20
    • News
      • Nigeria News
      • World News
      • Headlines News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Sport
    • Entertainment
    • Contact Us
    Chronicle NG

    Court denies IPOB leader Nnamdi Kanu bail again

    Chronicle EditorBy Chronicle EditorDecember 1, 2016No Comments2 Mins Read
    Facebook Twitter Telegram WhatsApp
    Court refuses Kanu’s application for transfer from Sokoto prison
    Nnamdi Kanu, leader of Proscribed Indigenous People of Biafra (IPOB)
    Facebook Twitter WhatsApp

    Nnamdi Kanu has been at the forefront of Biafra secessionkanu

    Justice Binta Nyako of the Federal High Court in Abuja on Thursday rejected the bail applications filed by leader of the Indigenous People of Biafra, Nnamdi Kanu, and three others with whom he is being prosecuted by the Federal Government for offences including treasonable felony and an act preparatory to act of terrorism.

    Nyako, in her ruling held that they were not deserving as most of the charges preferred against them were “ordinarily not bailable”.

    Earlier, Justice John Tsoho, who was handling the case before Kanu accused him of bias, had earlier refused to grant bail to the accused persons.

    The case was transferred to Justice Nyako on the account of Kanu’s allegation and all the accused were re-arraigned before the judge on November 8.

    The lawyers to the four accused persons subsequently argued their clients’ bail application on November 17.

    ‎Punch reports that ruling on Thursday, Nyako held that she had no reason to “deviate” from the earlier “findings”

    Tsoho, who had earlier refused to grant bail to the accused before Kanu accused him of bias and the case was later re-assigned to Justice Nyako.

    Nyako ruled on Thursday that though the case started de novo (afresh) before her, there were no new facts and circumstances that could warrant her to grant bail to the accused as the charges preferred against them were “serious offences”.

    She said as alternative to granting bail to the defendants, she prefer to order accelerated hearing of the case.

    Kanu’s co-accused who were denied bail on Thursday were the National Coordinator of IPOB member, Mr. Chidiebere Onwudiwe, Benjamin Madubugwu and David Nwawuisi.

    They were, in the 11 counts, including treasonable felony, accused of managing an unlawful society, publication of defamatory matter, illegal possession of firearms and improper importation of goods.

    IPOB’s Onwudiwe was specifically accused in one of the counts of an act preparatory to an act of terrorism.

    All the counts were in connection with the accused persons’ alleged broadcasts on Radio Biafra and agitation for the secession from Nigeria, states in the South-East and South-South zones and other communities in Kogi and Benue states to constitute a Republic of Biafra.

    Punch

    Share. Facebook Twitter Telegram WhatsApp

    Keep Reading

    Shettima says allies warned Tinubu against wearing gifted campaign outfits

    Shettima: People told Tinubu I wanted to kill him and become president

    Rabiu Kwankwaso speaking during a political event amid ADC crisis speculation

    Kwankwaso working for Tinubu’s re-election, Kano gov’s aide alleges

    Gbajabiamila behind my ordeal, detained journalist reveals on Inside Sources

    Gbajabiamila lauds Lagos APC primaries as Desmond Elliott withdraws

    DHQ dismisses fears of terrorist stronghold after Oyo school attacks

    DHQ says Oyo school attacks not evidence of terrorist base in South-West

    Desmond Elliot speaking during an interview on Channels Television about the attempted impeachment of Mudashiru Obasa.

    Desmond Elliot alleges intimidation, withdraws from APC primary

    Nigeria intensifies airport surveillance over Ebola outbreak fears

    Nigeria intensifies airport surveillance over Ebola outbreak fears

    Subscribe to News

    Be the first to get the latest news updates from ChronicleNG about world, sports, politics etc

    Shettima says allies warned Tinubu against wearing gifted campaign outfits

    Shettima: People told Tinubu I wanted to kill him and become president

    May 20, 2026
    Rabiu Kwankwaso speaking during a political event amid ADC crisis speculation

    Kwankwaso working for Tinubu’s re-election, Kano gov’s aide alleges

    May 20, 2026
    Gbajabiamila behind my ordeal, detained journalist reveals on Inside Sources

    Gbajabiamila lauds Lagos APC primaries as Desmond Elliott withdraws

    May 20, 2026
    DHQ dismisses fears of terrorist stronghold after Oyo school attacks

    DHQ says Oyo school attacks not evidence of terrorist base in South-West

    May 20, 2026
    Desmond Elliot speaking during an interview on Channels Television about the attempted impeachment of Mudashiru Obasa.

    Desmond Elliot alleges intimidation, withdraws from APC primary

    May 20, 2026
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    • Politics
    • News
    • Sports
    • Business
    • About Us
    © 2026 ChronicleNG

    Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.