Close Menu
Chronicle NG
    Trending Stories
    El-Rufai court bail hearing in Abuja with strict DSS reporting and surety conditions outlined by the Federal High Court.

    Aichatou El-Rufai demands N2bn from ICPC over ‘wife of a defendant’ remark

    May 24, 2026
    Ireti Kingibe slams Wike, says ‘he’s out of touch, fuelling resentment in Abuja’

    2027: Ireti Kingibe wins ADC FCT Senate ticket

    May 24, 2026
    Usyk retains titles with controversial win against Verhoeven

    Usyk retains titles with controversial win against Verhoeven

    May 24, 2026
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    Trending
    • Aichatou El-Rufai demands N2bn from ICPC over ‘wife of a defendant’ remark
    • 2027: Ireti Kingibe wins ADC FCT Senate ticket
    • Usyk retains titles with controversial win against Verhoeven
    • Bangladesh’s ‘Donald Trump’ buffalo becomes Eid al-Adha attraction
    • Kane scores hat-trick as Bayern win German Cup
    • Barcelona thrash Lyon to win fourth Champions League title
    • EFCC warns leaders against looting public funds for luxury lifestyles
    • Tinubu to receive APC presidential ticket, flag on Sunday
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    Chronicle NGChronicle NG
    Subscribe
    Sunday, May 24
    • News
      • Nigeria News
      • World News
      • Headlines News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Sport
    • Entertainment
    • Contact Us
    Chronicle NG

    Aichatou El-Rufai demands N2bn from ICPC over ‘wife of a defendant’ remark

    Opalim LiftedBy Opalim LiftedMay 24, 2026No Comments4 Mins Read
    Facebook Twitter Telegram WhatsApp
    El-Rufai court bail hearing in Abuja with strict DSS reporting and surety conditions outlined by the Federal High Court.
    Former Governor of Kaduna Nasir El-Rufai
    Facebook Twitter WhatsApp

    Aichatou El-Rufai, wife of Nasir El-Rufai, has issued a pre-action notice to the chairman of the Independent Corrupt Practices and Other Related Offences Commission (ICPC), demanding N2 billion in damages over alleged defamatory statements.

    Mohammed Bello, son of the former governor, had earlier alleged that ICPC operatives denied his father access to medical and family care at the commission’s detention facility on Friday.

    Bello claimed the action by the anti-graft agency violated a court order granting El-Rufai “unrestricted access to his doctors”.

    He also said El-Rufai was prevented from seeing Aichatou, his second wife, who brought him his evening meal.

    ICPC: We Follow Access Control Policy

    Responding to the allegations on Monday, the ICPC described claims of inhumane treatment and denial of access to el-Rufai as “false and misleading”.

    J. Okor Odey, the ICPC spokesperson, said in a statement that the commission’s access control policy permits visits between 9:00 a.m. and 6:30 p.m., adding that the protocol applies to all detainees and visitors.

    Odey said families of suspects in ICPC custody are routinely informed of the visitation guidelines and had complied with them before the incident.

    He added that one of El-Rufai’s wives and a housemaid were granted access on at least three occasions between 10:30 a.m. and 5:30 p.m. to deliver food to the former governor.

    “Commission notes the wide circulation of a video interview since 10:00 p.m. on Friday, 15 May 2026. In that interview, conducted in the Hausa language and broadcast across several media platforms, a woman who identified herself as the wife of a defendant currently remanded in ICPC custody alleged that Commission operatives denied her entry into the premises at 7:00 p.m. to deliver food to her husband,” the statement reads.

    “She further alleged that the ICPC was in violation of a court order permitting family access to the defendant, and that her husband was being denied food. The ICPC wishes to state categorically that these claims are false and misleading.”

    El-Rufai’s Wife Demands Retraction, Apology

    In a letter addressed to the commission, counsel to Aichatou El-Rufai said parts of the statement issued by Odey were defamatory and had caused reputational harm to their client.

    The lawyers argued that the commission’s description of the former governor’s wife as “a woman who identified herself as the wife of a defendant” cast doubt on her status as the lawful spouse of the former governor.

    They also said the commission’s claim that her earlier assertions were “false and misleading” portrayed her as dishonest and deceptive.

    According to the legal team, allegations that she violated visitation procedures at the ICPC headquarters painted her as someone who disregards institutional protocols.

    The lawyers further objected to portions of the statement which, they said, suggested that Aichatou el-Rufai contradicted herself on claims that her husband was denied food while in custody.

    They also accused the commission of portraying her actions as an attempt to create a media spectacle to circumvent official procedures.

    The letter said the ICPC publication had been widely circulated across local and international media platforms, exposing her to ridicule, embarrassment, and reputational damage.

    Her lawyers described her as a woman of “unblemished character” and accused the anti-graft agency of using its official platform to unfairly target a private citizen.

    The legal team demanded an immediate retraction of the statements and a public apology to their client.

    They stressed that the apology should be published in at least three national newspapers and across the commission’s digital and social media platforms.

    The notice also seeks N2 billion in general, aggravated, and exemplary damages over the alleged defamatory publication.

    The lawyers also demanded a written undertaking from the commission assuring that no similar statements would be made about el-Rufai’s second wife in the future.

    The ICPC was given 14 days to comply with the demands, failing which the legal team said it would commence legal proceedings.

    Share. Facebook Twitter Telegram WhatsApp

    Keep Reading

    Ireti Kingibe slams Wike, says ‘he’s out of touch, fuelling resentment in Abuja’

    2027: Ireti Kingibe wins ADC FCT Senate ticket

    A sacrificial albino buffalo named after US President Donald Trump which recently went viral, is pictured at an agro farm ahead of Eid-al-Adha, in Narayanganj, Bangladesh.

    Bangladesh’s ‘Donald Trump’ buffalo becomes Eid al-Adha attraction

    EFCC anti-corruption infographic condemning leaders who loot public funds to buy private jets.

    EFCC warns leaders against looting public funds for luxury lifestyles

    Tinubu vows end to Plateau killings, orders 5,000-camera surveillance in Jos

    Tinubu to receive APC presidential ticket, flag on Sunday

    Health workers in protective gear responding to Ebola outbreak cases in the Democratic Republic of Congo.

    WHO raises DR Congo Ebola risk ‘very high’ as Uganda records three more cases

    Nigerian troops during Operation Hadin Kai patrol operations in the North-East region.

    Troops rescue abducted 8-year-old child, kill terrorists in North-East operations

    Subscribe to News

    Be the first to get the latest news updates from ChronicleNG about world, sports, politics etc

    El-Rufai court bail hearing in Abuja with strict DSS reporting and surety conditions outlined by the Federal High Court.

    Aichatou El-Rufai demands N2bn from ICPC over ‘wife of a defendant’ remark

    May 24, 2026
    Ireti Kingibe slams Wike, says ‘he’s out of touch, fuelling resentment in Abuja’

    2027: Ireti Kingibe wins ADC FCT Senate ticket

    May 24, 2026
    Usyk retains titles with controversial win against Verhoeven

    Usyk retains titles with controversial win against Verhoeven

    May 24, 2026
    A sacrificial albino buffalo named after US President Donald Trump which recently went viral, is pictured at an agro farm ahead of Eid-al-Adha, in Narayanganj, Bangladesh.

    Bangladesh’s ‘Donald Trump’ buffalo becomes Eid al-Adha attraction

    May 24, 2026
    Bayern Munich's Harry Kane is the top scorer in the Bundesliga

    Kane scores hat-trick as Bayern win German Cup

    May 24, 2026
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    • Politics
    • News
    • Sports
    • Business
    • About Us
    © 2026 ChronicleNG

    Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.